If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Recommend Me Some Vidya Gaemz Please?

edited 2011-09-25 16:55:40 in General
I've decided to massively expand my video game collection.

Mostly, for my Sega Saturn and my Dreamcast.

I was hoping you guys could recommend me some games for them.

Actually, recommend me games for any platform, I wanna expand into new horizons. My favourite kind of games are platformers and hack and slashers but I'll play anything. So...help me? 

Comments

• edited 2011-09-25 17:01:14
    BIT.TRIP. It's only 600 or 800 Wii Points, so if you like challenging retro-style music games with trippy abstract art, it will be well worth it.
  • Shadow of the Colossus.

Star Ocean 2.

• edited 2011-09-25 17:03:40
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^The former is getting an HD rerelease in two days. I've got a preorder.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >hack and slashers

Space Marine, it's a 3rd Person Shooter mixed with awesome melee combat.
  • Abyss: I've heard of that, I'll give it a look thanks.

Waltzy: I have all the Star Oceans D:

INUH: The remake, it's in a collection with Ico isn't it?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yep. Haven't played either yet. Looking forward to it.
  • Neo: I've been looking at that, it looks SWEET. I play Warhammer 40k (I'm actually at the top of my ladder, go me), yet haven't played a single one of the games.

INUH: Then I may have to pick it up, I've played Shadow, but never could find Ico.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Sonic Colors. Though the 2D/3D ratio is a bit unbalanced towards the former, it's still one of the best games on the Wii, and an excellent addition to the Sonic series.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Skies of Arcadia?

Lunar?

the Saturn version of Castlevania Symphony of the Night?
  • No rainbow star
    Pokemon

Portal (2)

Minecraft

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Scribblenauts
    >I've been looking at that, it looks SWEET. I play Warhammer 40k (I'm
    actually at the top of my ladder, go me), yet haven't played a single
    one of the games.

Well, I didn't know you were a 40K fan. In that case I'd recommend the Dawn of War games too, both are great but Dawn of War II has the best campaign I've ever seen in an RTS, plus Last Stand mode is fun as hell.

Also, fyi Space Marine's multiplayer is kind of a hit-or-miss.
  • edited 2011-09-25 17:19:03
    No rainbow star
    Oh, also try Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. If I recall, it and its expansion pack are abandonware
    I've tried to get into 40k, but a)expensive and b)can't find anyone who plays.

Mostly B.
    ^You don't have to play the tabletop (I sure as hell don't for those reasons), the fluff and video games are more than enough.

Yeah, but it looks like it would be really fun...I guess I'll try the video games.
    Why do people keep on recommending non-Dreamcast/Saturn games?
  • edited 2011-09-25 17:30:37
    ^
    Actually, recommend me games for any platform,

Combined with the fact that there are more non-Dreamcast/Saturn games than there are ones for those platforms.
  • Because not as many people owned a Dreamcast or Saturn. I could say to check out, say, Jet Set Radio, but that would be meaningless as I've never actually played the game.

That being said, it would be nice to have a list of good games on those consoles, since I've heard there's a lot of them, and even many that don't have ports on other consoles.

I've been thinking of picking up a Dreamcast some time.
    Monster Tale (DS)
    Scurge: Hive (DS or GBA)
    Spelunky (Windows)
    Stepmania (Windows? multiplatform?)
    Verge (Windows)
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
    Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale (Windows)
    Tail 'Gator (GB)
    Mega Man ZX (DS)
  • They're somethin' else.
    Guardian Heroes for Saturn.
  • For Hack and Slash, if you have a PS2, I'd recommend Shinobi. A lot of people don't like it, so you should probably check some gameplay video, but it's incredibly fast paced, streamlined, challenging and fun. It's got a very arcadey feel, which makes you want to keep playing even after dying 5 times in a row.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    For Saturn?

Nights into Dreams

Burning Rangers

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

For Dreamcast:

Skies of Arcadia

Soul Calibur

Shenmue

I'll recommend some non-
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I wouldn't mind having a Saturn and Dreamcast myself, particularly for the fighters.

I read somewhere that the Saturn has arcade-perfect ports of Capcom's AD&D beat-em-ups (Tower of Doom and Shadows Over Mystara). They're in a compilation. Unfortunately said compilation requires the 4MB RAM cart, was only released in Japan and is kinda pricey on eBay, but if you're willing to pony up the cash its worth checking out.

Also, there's a port of X-Multiply for the saturn... it, too, is kinda pricey though, and also import-only.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Super Meat Boy is a great platformer for XBLA and PC, but it's also extremely difficult, so fair warning.

I recently bought a used copy of Just Cause 2 for $20, and it's an incredibly fun open-world game where you play as a mercenary paid to cause as much chaos and damage as possible.

Finally, I would save up for Retro City Rampage, on WiiWare and XBLA, which looks to be a very fun top-down GTA-like 8-bit sandbox/adventure game stuffed with 80s references. 
    Oh yes!

Mega Man 8 (Saturn)
    Mega Man Battle & Chase (PS1, available in Mega Man X Collection for PS2/GC)
    Tower of Heaven (Windows)
  • Poot dispenser here
    Hydro Thunder, V-Rally 2 and Speed Devils for the Dreamcast.
    My trouble with the DC is that I really don't know what good stuff it offers.
    ^ Above comment applies to all three DCs incidentally.  Only for a fourth one do I know it transfers power well...at the cost of being totally unsustainable.

Now figure out what I'm talking about.
    Adventure Island 4 (NES)
    Paperboy 2 (NES)