If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ramen

edited 2011-09-18 22:42:58 in General
What's with the fact that so many animefans who proclaim an interest in Japanese food are always on and on about ramen, when in fact udon is so much better? And yes, food is serious business. :p.

Comments

• Because ramen is cheap as fuck.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I've only had microwave ramen. I would like to try some real stuff though.

Takoyaki's better anyways.
  • You can change. You can.
    IJBM: What is Ramen and how come I've never ever seen this wonderfully magical thing that seems to cure all problems ever in my entirely hedonistical life?
  • If you go to actual restuarants in Japan, both ramen and udon is relatively cheap. Usually between 500-1000 yen, depending on how much stuff you want in it, the place etc. 500 is usually for the most basic of basic though. Takoyaki is good too, but it's not a soup with pasta-like stuff in it though, which was the basis for the comparison between ramen and udon.
  • You can change. You can.
    > Actual restaurants in Japan

dude...come on, i live in colombia, that's like...the opposite of japan in terms of geography
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Honestly when it comes between udon and ramen.  I'd choose ramen any day.

Thin noodles > Thick noodles.
  • edited 2011-09-18 22:54:15
    I know, I know. Getting proper ramen or udon or any japanese food that isn't sushi outside of Japan is a bit of a troublesome process. And ridiculously expensive compared to in Japan (that last part goes for sushi too).

IJBM: taking cheap japanese food sold as solid meals at affordable prices in Japan and turning them into some kind of fine cuisine, making the price ridiculously high at restaurants in foreign countries.

^Blasphemer!
  • edited 2011-09-18 22:59:31
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^If your city has a Chinatown/Little Tokyo it's pretty easy to find a good place that serves noodle soups (ramen, udon, pho, etc) for around $8 tops, in my experience.
    Juan probably also doesn't have a Chinatown as  I don't think Colombia had the large influx of asians the U.S. and Britain did.
  • edited 2011-09-18 23:10:04
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't eat it because it's Japanese. I eat it because it's cheap.
  • edited 2011-09-18 23:13:43
    hmm, we generally don't have those in Denmark I'm afraid. Sounds like pretty fair prices though, comparable with Japanese ones. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the Japanese prices and availability while I'm living here, returning to Denmark I'll just have to learn once again that only bad junk food can be bought ready-made for those prices. :p

Of course the best price is free, and since I know a nice older Japanese lady owning an udon-shop that is one that I pay every once in a while, and who said the Japanese aren't nice to foreigners? :p
  • Really, this topic shouldn't be about ramen so much as it should be about Pocky.
  • edited 2011-09-18 23:22:18
    well yeah, pocky is pretty fail. However that's a bit different as that is pretty much a clear case of only liking something because it's Japanese. I just wanted to express my opinion that udon is totally better than ramen, which gets all the publicity. Because I'm kind of bored right now.
  • edited 2011-09-18 23:23:25
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^Now Pocky is just really meh. It's basically generic Pepridge Farm cookies made into really tiny sticks.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I saw pocky at the store once. Checked the ingredients, and I can't eat it, so I can't really comment on it.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    I tried some, and it was pretty good. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd eat it.
    Pocky is just a basic typical candy only notable for being a Japanese twist on western treats.
  • As for pocky: I've honestly considered trying some of the more excotic ones like green tea and cheescake flavour that I see around, however it's just too expensive and with my past experience with pocky I know it'll be pretty meh.
  • In some cultures (and by some I do mean, Britain) Ramen never gets called that. It's usually called Pot Noodle, named after the first major brand of Ramen in the the world (and by world, I do mean, Britain)
  • Finally, someone confirms my long-held suspicion that this "Ramen" stuff that people talk about is basically Pot Noodle. Which, incidentally, I ate once and thought was really awful. In the UK, it's stereotyped as food for impoverished students, drunks and, indeed, drunk students.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    But I like Pocky... :<
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I loved ramen (or whatever we have here that passes for ramen) before I even knew what Japan was.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Pocky and its derivatives are meh.  I've tried them.

Ramen is quite nice.  I prefer it over udon, if you're asking which type of noodle I prefer.

That said, I frequently eat ramen in settings other than traditional MSG-stuffed noodle soup.  We're talking, say, ramen noodles with Chinese broccoli and alfredo sauce.
    > We're talking, say, ramen noodles with Chinese broccoli and alfredo sauce.

what is this i dont even.
    Well, actually, I haven't had that combination, but I have had it with western broccoli.  And alfredo sauce + (western) broccoli = win.  Add in slightly-curly drained ramen noodles and you'd beat angel hair or spaghetti at tastiness any day of the week.
    You're using alfredo sauce. Your argument is invalid.
    Ramen always struck me as more of a 'poor people' or 'college student' thing than a 'weeaboo' thing.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I think my dad has been subtly preparing us for college ever since we were little, since he raised us to like ramen from the start.
    ^^^ You're ragging on alfredo sauce.  Your argument is invalid.