If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Homestuck

1235»

Comments

• Also, I think it's easier to understand when you're getting small doses of oddities, instead of large doses.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^I feel like the threshold for enjoying something is different with archive reading and serial reading, though. There are some webcomics I read despite finding them kinda meh most of the time because it only takes me seconds per week, which is worth it for the occasional chuckleworthy installment.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Regarding the style: it's actually maintained throughout.  Key words are capitalised, sylladices and modi are used, flipping your sprite turnways is a thing you can do, and so on.  The only change is that these things cease to be the focus and become side elements.

This liveblog is interesting to me because when I see the views expressed, I can totally see how the comic wouldn't appeal to somebody who found these various quirks annoying, but for me they're a major part of what makes Homestuck Homestuck.  If it was just the weird plot shit told in a more traditional prose or webcomic format, and didn't have the exaggerative parodies of cultural artefacts, the tongue-in-cheek Americana and the adventure game elements, it just wouldn't be nearly so funny or charming to me.  So for me, so far, this is reinforcing my perception that the same aspects that make Homestuck so great for some are the ones that drive other people away.

Regarding the reason it's called a "webcomic" in spite of the use of prose and animations, I think it's because it's really just an evolution of the format presented in Jailbreak, which is clearly a webcomic.

Regarding the pacing, I did find it pretty difficult to follow parts of it on an archive binge, but I figured that was because I wasn't smart enough or sufficiently good at spotting patterns, as a lot of other people seem to have little trouble.  I've noticed that Hussie makes extensive use of systems in his stories (the laws of physics and the weapon/item duality in Problem Sleuth; Paradox Space, genetics, ~ath, the sylladices and modi, time travel, alchemy and the quadrants in Homestuck), and as I think more in terms of symbolism than logic, I found aspects of it difficult to follow on my first read through.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

There goes the FRESH TOWEL.

But didn't he use the towel to wipe the stuff off when it was covered with cake before?

Please note how the glass, shattered by a PDA being expelled outwards, is on the inside of his room.

I theorize that John is an unconscious warper of reality.

And now the glass is outside.

I'm not quite sure how this works.

You see, previously, the PDA was shot outwards through the window. Now, this is being expelled from a point a bit away from his head, and is hitting his head with significantly less force than a bullet.

I stand by my opinion that the music is fairly good.

More Sylladex shenanigans.

No, seriously. How did that even end up there?

SERIOUS BUSINESS

He works as a street performer? Now I am confused.

EB: no, i am telling you. 
    EB: it jumped out of my sylladex like a frightened weasel. 

I like this kid.

TT: There's a cake in the toilet. 
    EB: yes. there is. 
    TT: I'm tempted to clean it up for you. 
    EB: ok, if that will satisfy your weird ocd complex then go ahead. 
    TT: My Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder complex? 
    TT: Can a disorder also be a complex? 
    EB: in your case, probably! 
    TT: Sounds complicated. 

These two were my favourite characters.

You think it's cool that things don't always have to be a federal fucking issue.

Indeed.

Leaving off here for now.
  • You can change. You can.
    I have to admit, I decided to give Homestuck a chance based on that song.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I like the music, but it's not enough of a draw to get me to actually like the thing. I can stand it, and I really enjoy the pages, though, and you can thank the songs for that.
  • You can change. You can.
    Oh, it wasn't just the song, though.

Haven linked me to this trailer and I thought that it might be interesting to actually give it a shot, as it's not what I thought it was (A bunch of alien peeps talking to some kids over the internet)

And welp, music is there to actually add to the values of a thing. If you don't like the values of the work, then the music won't change that. Unless it's a musical.
    I like the music. So I listen to it. The music is good.

It does not mean I have to like the other elements of the work.
  • I didn't really like the music until the first big flash, the one with Sburban Jungle, heheh.
  • I like Homestuck's music when it's playing, but I don't really remember any of it except for MAKE HER A MEMBER OF THE MIDNIGHT CREW
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    That's from "Black", Jack Noir's theme.

• But he sampled THIS
  • ^...WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • How many people clicked on that one "Who's this Douchebag" after the record was popped in? Better yet, who listened to the records? 

I know I didn't.
  • The video that was linked has about 53 000 more views than the other videos on that channel, so I'd say a good few.
  • $80+ per session
    I shall not follow this liveblog on principle, but I wish you the best of luck.
  • I swear I found acts one and two much better than anything beyond.

Also, I always was intrigued by the idea of the Sylladex.