If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Homestuck

edited 2011-08-21 13:04:03 in Liveblogging
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
Right...

So, everyone who knows me knows of my dislike for this particular webcomic/game/chat-logue... thing. However, most of the time, it's more the fanbase and the things they do that irritate me, over the comic itself.

So, I'm going to liveblog this thing, and document my reaction to it and the later story, etc. Although it won't really resemble a liveblog, as I'm too lazy to link images and I'm not really all that funny. So it'll essentially be me reading it, then posting comments here.

I will essentially be an outsider- I've forgotten nearly everything, apart from a creepy clown doll, a scary woman with a martini, the Waygabond-vava-thingie playing with soup cans, and dick jokes.

So... Onward we go. 3:30 AM.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

First Entry:

As far as I am aware, a CAPTCHA is one of those things where the text boxes require you to type the words in to the box, while they make it a bit difficult to read. I have no idea why this is called a Captchalogue, considering that.

Also, Sylladex sounds like Pokedex.

Current working theory: Homestuck is Pokemon.

Makes as much sense as anything else I've heard about it.

I mean, I've heard that Hussie was accepting suggestions from readers at the time. But... did he have to pick that one? :/

An apt name, I must agree. People certainly pester each other with it.

Also, chum is shark bait. So... I think they're suggesting that they feed their friends to sharks via an instant-message program?

I'm not too sure, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyway, onto the next point.

A pesterlog basically looks like this:

TG: hey so what sort of insane loot did you rake in today 
    EB: i got a little monsters poster, it's so awesome. i'm going to watch it again today, the applejuice scene was so funny. 
    TG: oh hell that is such a coincidence i just found an unopened container of apple juice in my closet it is like fucking christmas up in here 
    EB: ok thats fine, but i just have one question and then a word of caution. have you ever seen a movie called little monsters starring howie mandel and fred savage? 
    TG: but 
    TG: the seal on the bottle is unbroken 
    TG: are you suggesting someone put piss in my apple juice at the factory 
    EB: all im saying is don't you think monster howie mandel has the power to do something as simple as reseal a bottle? 
    EB: try using your brain numbnuts. 
    TG: why did the fat kid or whoever drank it know what piss tasted like 
    TG: i mean his reaction was nigh instantaneous 
    EB: it was the 15th day in a row howie mandel peed in his juice. 
    TG: ok i can accept that 
    TG: monster B-list celebrity douchebags are cunning and persistent pranksters 
    TG: also fred savage has a really punchable face 
    TG: but who cares about this lets stop talking about it 
    TG: did you get the beta yet 
    EB: no. 
    EB: did you? 
    TG: man i got two copies already 
    TG: but i dont care im not going to play it or anything the game sounds boring 
    TG: did you see how it got slammed in game bro???? 
    EB: game bro is a joke and we both know it. 
    TG: yeah 
    TG: why dont you go check your mail maybe its there now 
    EB: alright.

So expect to see that pop up on about four of every five pages in the comic. And, yes, reading the entire thing is mandatory every time.

I've heard people say that it's a fact of the medium- people like it that way; it's part of what gives Homestuck its' charm.

Things I have seen Homestuck offer so far:

> Still-frame Images

> Animated Images

> Text-Only sections

... I get how people could like this.

But... I now have to load each individual page, wait for it to load just in case it does, then dip down below to read the pesterlog. It's kind of annoying to have to spend this much time on single pages.

I can... hover my mouse over game cases to cause a picture to pop up! But only for three!

Also, clicking each of the aforementioned cases takes me to the start of a different comic. Because I am likely to read them while I am in the middle of reading Homestuck. Yes.

Things I have seen Homestuck offer so far:

> Still-frame Images

> Animated Images

> Text-Only sections

> Semi-Interactive segments

As it is JOHN's BIRTHDAY, I assume the CAKE is a BIRTHDAY CAKE.

It resembles a monster now. A ZOMBIE is climbing up through my BIRTHDAY CAKE.

what is this crap

That he wields hammers with.

Not warhammers.

Hammers.

I recall pogo stick hammers.

Anyway...

It's 4AM, so this would be a great place to stop for now.

Sorry for wasting your time with this.
  • You can change. You can.
    Pfffft. 

I was just doing that over at the TvT. :p

OK, now I'll read.
  • "it's more the fanbase and the things they do that irritate me"

Man, people seriously need to stop letting this get to them. Not just for Homestuck, but for anything.

Kudos for giving it a try in spite of that.
  • edited 2011-08-21 13:09:13
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I was discussing this one with bobby :p

Well, I should be in bed. Goodnight.

Although I will apologize for general suckiness. I hope it'll get better in quality later on... when I'm not reading it at 4AM in the morning... but I can't promise anything.

^ People talking constantly about something leads to you being irritated at that something.

I just redirected my annoyance towards the fanbase instead.
  • $80+ per session
    You're a strong woman than me Cygan.
  • "People talking constantly about something leads to you being irritated at that something."

I don't know if I've ever experienced this.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Hmmm...

I guess it may be one of those things that some people experience and some do not then.

Also, I just found out the Homestuck things have Image URL's.

So... coolio then.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Also, chum is shark bait.
    I don't know if you know this or not, but it can also mean "a close friend."
  • What's the difference?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I'll be following this.  Obviously I'm a big fan of the series, but it'll be interesting to see from the perspective of one who isn't so enamoured.

If I cast my mind back into the distant past, I remember I initially found the format a little offputting, too.  By Act 2 it had grown on me, and it's now one of my favourite things about Homestuck.
    But you weren't following me liveblog in tvt, bobby

:<

Then again, it was an improptu thing, so

Anyway, I'm around the bit where John has to deal with Dad. The thing is, the format can be incredibly...um...daunting, I'd say? I dunno. I just didn't like it. Doesn't really help that as much as I lol'd at the poop jokes, it clearly shows that the commands are not written by Hussie and it feels a bit...dissonant with what he wants to do, I guess.
    I didn't know you were liveblogging it.  Link?

Once the Wayward Vagabond shows up you get more of a sense of the direction Hussie intends to go.  The reader commands thing is much better implemented in Problem Sleuth, but in Homestuck it can be a little jarring, I guess.
    Nah, I was referring to the thing I did over at the thread at YF. One of them, anyway. 

I kinda feel like liveblogging it, though. Either that or read it along with Cygan. Mostly to see if we both can comment on stuff and what not. I should talk to her on the (Australian) morning about it.

Yeah, I read that bit. Hence why I decided to give it a second chance and pull through it. Because the Vagabond is the best thing in the history of webcomics. I just didn't feel that attached to any other character as I read tidbits I was linked to.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >Liveblogging Homestuck.

See you in about 5 years.

But jokes aside, I actually don't mind the fandom that much. Mainly because I stay far away from it. But the comic itself I could never understand. The plot is rather opaque, the characters I had a hard time sympathizing with, and the humor was downright confusing. Good luck trying to get through 5000 pages of that.
    Funny thing is, the humor reminds me of Arrested Development, insofar as the humor is weak at first, and grows stronger as you relate to the characters. Hence why it leads to one of the major problems to anyone who wants to get into it. there's no gateway. There's not a spot where you can jump on and then say "This is a good thing. I should check all the other things related to it"

It's the beginning or nothing.
    That's true.

I actually think it's funniest if you've read all the MS Paint Adventures prior to it, but that means battling through Jailbreak and Bard Quest, and even I think those are shit.  They're very short, or I wouldn't have bothered.
  • Jailbreak is not shit.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Jailbreak is not shit.
    Why?

Can you at least back up your arguments if you're gonna start an argument in this Homestuck-related thread?
    All depends on how Khwarizmi responded to it, if he did, but it was pretty much setting up for one, yeah.
  • I just saw it as:

Opinion A with no reasoning offered.

Opinion B with no reasoning offered.
    Which is prime set up for OH GOD NOW I'M DOING IT D:
  • Well, how's this. I'd be fine with going into detail if people were curious, but I just see it as a difference in taste for humor. So, I'm not exactly sure what there'd be to argue.
    There's more than humour to it though. There's also characterization, plot, etc.
    We're talking about Jailbreak, Cygan. There's no characterization, plot, etc. :p
  • Pretty much. It's almost entirely gags.
    OK.
    Jailbreak might have been more enjoyable had I been part of the original audience while it was being written.  I get a strong "you had to be there" vibe from it.  Personally, I found it unfunny and kind of distasteful, and it didn't help that when I first read it I hadn't gotten used to the author's habit of "gaslighting" the reader, which I found extremely disturbing (not so much anymore).

Sorry, I wasn't intending to start an argument.  I wasn't even aware that my opinion was particularly controversial. It's a question of personal taste so I'm not sure it can even be debated, but if you want to explain why you like it, and if Cygan doesn't mind, I'm all ears.  It just didn't appeal to me.  At all.
    I don't mind.