If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Homestuck

Comments

• Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^ When no one was looking, Khwarizmi stole 40 urine samples.  That's as many as four tens.

^ Can't win, can I? :P
  • You can change. You can.
    No, NEVAR
    Lies.  I will win when I use these samples for practical japery, and Cygan locks the thread and bans me from the site.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    So glad this is still happening. :)

Thanks. Glad to know people like it.

But then, I think Monty Python is hilarious, so it's entirely possible that "lolrandom" is my sense of humour.

Yeah, it is perfectly possible that we just have differing tastes in humour.

I have no way of measuring that, though, so I can only report on what I like.

Off-topic, but original or Brotherhood? (curious because I'm a fan of the former and haven't seen much of the latter)

I finished watching Brotherhood earlier today, but I watched the original anime quite a while ago.

They're both good in their own way. My preferred method is to watch the original anime until you get to the Greed arc, because that contains a lot of excellent character development, then swap to Brotherhood, as it has a more coherent plot and better action scenes.

Both are good series, the former is more character driven and the latter is more plot-driven.

Like Vandro said.

Lies.  I will win when I use these samples for practical japery, and Cygan locks the thread and bans me from the site.

I will just stab you instead.
  • But anyone can stab him! You have to use your mod powers to show us who's boss

[It probably reflects poorly on me that this is the only thing I have to contribute to this conversation]
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I shall stab him with my mod powers.

problem solved
  • On a more serious note, I like Homestuck and all...but if I had to judge it based on the beginning, I wouldn't have even given it a chance.

In fact, I started it once, decided it wasn't my thing, and then only went back once Anonus became obsessed with it. He assured me that it got better and so I read on.
    I'm having serious problems going through the first act, but it is readable enough, imo.
  • I wouldn't say the first act is bad, I just didn't particularly like it.
    Oh, yeah, pretty much what I meant.
    On a more serious note, I like Homestuck and all...but if I had to judge it based on the beginning, I wouldn't have even given it a chance.

I like the first act best of all.
  • edited 2011-09-14 23:47:58
    ^^ I know. I was agreeing with you.

^ ...different tastes, I guess.
    I like the first act best of all.

Wait, have you actually read the rest?
    Wait, have you actually read the rest?

Yes. I found it pretty dumb though. Not in an intellectual sense, in a dumb-versus-cool sense. It always felt like things were happening because stuff happened. I just never felt engaged with it.
  • To be honest, I kinda get that too. I enjoy it much more for the characterization than the plot.
    And I just didn't enjoy the characterization.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I tried twice to get into Homestuck, and failed both times.

Everything was so fucking CONFUSING I just couldn't keep reading.
    >I will just stab you instead.

Hey, you're not Aon!

I didn't like the first few pages of Homestuck at all, and I only kept reading because everyone said it was good.  But I quickly changed my mind.  GameBro was the point where it started to get good for me, but that wouldn't have persuaded me to stick with it on its own.

It is pretty dumb.  Not that it's not intelligent, it clearly is, but it's very goofy and cheesy.  I think that's intentional, though, from the way it's written.  It's very parodic.

It is a very plot-driven story.  IIRC one character even points out that the kids have actually had very little influence on events.

The characterisation is a mixed bag.  There's a lot of character development, but a lot of it comes from playing with archetypes and reader expectations of those, I think.
    Hey, you're not Aon!

No, I am Cygan.

It is pretty dumb.  Not that it's not intelligent, it clearly is, but it's very goofy and cheesy.  I think that's intentional, though, from the way it's written.  It's very parodic.

Yes, that about sums it up. It is very parodic, and it likes to play with the typical archetypes and conventions commonly associated with stories like it.

That can be enjoyable for some people.

However, it's not for everyone. Not everyone will like that sort of story, and many people just find themselves disinterested in stories like that. It is especially noticeable if you try to explain the story to someone who has seen the archetypes of stories like that but has not actually seen Homestuck themselves, or if you try to explain it to somebody completely ignorant of all the cliches and such.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-15 19:41:51
    YAY! :D

MOAR MOAR MOAR!

I like the concepts behind Homestuck, but I'd love to see it get skewered (or just commented on in a way that is not all...THISISOMGBESTTHINGEVAR) WITHOUT worrying about a flame war / thread lock!
    On the desk is a DECK OF PLAYING CARDS, one of your DAD'S PIPES, the April issue of THE SERIOUS JESTER magazine, and a stray CAPTCHALOGUE CARD. 

I feel I should mention.

The way THINGS are capitalized is very annoying. I'm fairly sure it's a callback to old GAMES where the names of ITEMS were capitalized, but that doesn't stop it being annoying.

If I may ask, is there any reason for this Sylladex to be included?

Does it ever add anything to the story?

Or is it just there for lulz?

I like this one. I generally like the pages. The music is generally fairly good.

Although the music is not exactly a haunting refrain.

This art is remarkably good for crappy art. I'd rate it 1.5 stars out of 10.

However, I must note that as bad as the art is, the style rather suits the comic. It's a very rough style, haphazardly slapped together in a way that has a fair charm of its' own.

It still sucks, don't get me wrong. I've seen vacuum cleaners that suck less than this art. But the sheer suckiness of the art does work with the style of the comic- haphazardly done, but when it's all put together it all looks remarkably alright.

Also, the chime that is playing on the background of this page as I type this is... really nice, actually.

His drawing may suck, but his music is cool.

"Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire." -Walt Whitman 

Just so everyone is aware.

This is a real quote, by Francois de la Rouchefoucauld. Not Walt Whitman.

What do you mean, it's not awesome?

I remember this page.

It annoys me. It's pseudo-interactive. It offers the illusion of interactivity, but it does nothing, it affects nothing, and you can skip straight past it with nothing lost.

It's touted as a new form of comic. However, it... doesn't really offer you anything.

The regular pages do a lot more for the feel of this comic than this.

"When two great forces oppose each other, the victory will go to the one that knows how to yield." -Oscar Wilde 

This is actually a Tao quote.

And just like that, your SYLLADEX is full again. God this thing is annoying.

It's like it read my mind.

Okay, I lied.

Not all the pages are good. Some are just pointless, like this one.

Leaving off here for now.
  • The sylladex is basically like the CAPITALIZATION and the RANDOM POINTLESS INTRODUCTIONS. Just more of a parody of GAMES.
    I have yet to find a game which requires anything as pointless as that for an inventory system.

Pages upon pages are being spent dealing with their interactions with a system that is doing literally nothing for the story.
  • Yeah. It is. This is why everyone thinks it's supah boring.

It does get...slightly...better, but yeah. 

I had similar complaints when I first read.

Basically? It's Hussie's "style" so to speak. 

It works better if you just go rapid clicking, like I did. 

But with all the pesterchums, it's much harder to do.
    It's a pretty big flaw in a story- when you're reduced to frantically skipping ahead twenty pages because you're sick of seeing the same pointless thing happen for the fiftieth time.
  • Yep. 

It works for some people. Some see the third page, and go "omfg, this is the most brilliant thing I've ever seen."

So, SOME people find it funny. 
    It's very dependent on taste.

From what I can recall, it moves a bit away from that style after the first arc or so. But until then, it's just really, really annoying to read if you don't like that style of humour.

I guess what i am trying to point out is that this comic is not objectively brilliant or awesome, but rather is subjective to taste, as I wish fans would remember. I have pointed out reasons for this already, and I will point out more.
  • Yeah. This is good. This is healthy.

Not that it will do much for the main fandom. 

They prefer to joke around 24/7. 

At least on tv tropes.
    There's nothing objctively brilliant about Homestuck, yes, but it does have a set of qualities that make it unique on the scene, as well as a sense of humor that is barely seen in webcomics, in my opinion, not to mention that for all its flaws, it still has a sort of charm to it due to the character interactions, such as John fighting off his dad whose trying to give him cake. It's not perfect, and it's not incredibly amazing, zomg, but it has qualities that I'd definetly say resonate in some level with internet culture.

I don't know, that's how I see it, at least.
    Which may be so.

But that is dependent on taste- while some people may like that, others don't. It's quirky, unique and charming- but not everyone will like that, and that is the point I am trying to make- that while it may be very entertaining to you, I just wish that everyone who likes the comic would remember that while you find it amazing, others do not necessarily share your exact tastes.