If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Collect all the X!" Missions in games.

edited 2011-09-09 15:10:10 in Media
[tɕagɛn]
They're fun. Until you get down to the last 2-3 items to collect. And then you have to Pixel Hunt every single inch of the level and spend hours going back and forth through the level and it's horribly tedious and OH GOD ALL OF MY ANGERHATE

Comments

• "They're fun."

LOLLOL
  • At first, they are.

Then the ANGERHATE comes in.
  • Well, it was fun in Katamari.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    The very first mission in Etrian Odyssey 3 required you to completely map half of the first basement level, which wouldn't be so bad except there's a secret room that can only be accessed by facing a nondescript stretch of corridor in a faraway area.

Honestly, running from FOEs after that is welcome.
  • No rainbow star
    They ARE fun until you reach the last few

It's like how a boss battle is fun until he suddenly fills all but one random spot with bullets
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Things stop being fun when they become repetitive? AMAGIZN
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Repetitive can be fine. It's when it gets ridiculous that it loses all fun (eg The first bunch of items are challenging but fun. Then you get to the one that is hidden in the pages of a book in a vacuum cleaner out in space that you access through a painting underwater and GAH!)
  • It's like how a boss battle is fun until he suddenly fills all but one random spot with bullets

But those are my favourites!
  • Needs a «Clean ALL the things!» edit.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It depends on their implementation.

Sometimes you get stupid pixel hunts; other times you get pretty reasonable challenges.

I personally like it most when they justify it in-game with backstory, and/or if they design it such that it's at least a pixel-cluster hunt rather than a pixel hunt.

Examples:
    * justification: something that actually gives you some clues to the location, so that you can find it without, say, searching every pixel of a room or searching every square of a world map.
    * pixel-cluster: something akin to recent Castlevania games, where breakable walls can be highlighted under certain conditions.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Where that last damn skulltula.
  • I hate it when games basically force you to use FAQs.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Same here.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Those things that are pixel-hunts or guide-damn-its ought to be really easter-eggy.  Like, they should not count toward 100% completion, and should really be meant for diehard fans.  For example, developers' rooms, developers' cameos, and really obscure easter eggs.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Arkham Asylum had one hell of an easter egg.
  • Goddamit I need to play that game one day.
  • edited 2011-09-10 12:23:14
    No rainbow star
    ^^ Didn't the developers have to reveal it because nobody found it due to the only way possible being to blow up everything for absolutely no reason?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Arkham Asylum had the one collectable collection that I ever actually enjoyed finding/completed.