If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Jesus was poor"

edited 2011-08-07 16:09:08 in General
No rainbow star
...Wasn't he a carpenter during a time when they were highly valued, though?

Comments

• He gave away all his money to less fortunate though.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    He pretty much gave all the money he earned to the poor. A big part of his (let's call it what it was at that time) cult was the casting off of earthly possessions to those who needed them.
  • "It is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle, than a rich man to get into Heaven"
  • JESUS WAS A COMMIEEEEE!
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    COMMIES ARE GOOD!
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Wait! How could Jesus be poor if he was Jewish! He must have kept that secret bag of gold somewhere!
  • edited 2011-08-07 17:14:30

My understanding is that the part of the Middle East he was from was impovershed compared to Rome, but the people were noted for their ingenuity, so they lived efficiently - i.e., the cost of living was low.

There's some dispute about exacly what sort of carpenter Jesus was.  In a recent film he was portrayed as a furniture maker who specialized in dining sets (then the new technology, as people in early anchient times ate on the floor), but according to one scholar, "day laborer" may have been a more accurate description.

Certainly once he began his ministry, he was highly successful, as thousands would attend his sermons.

It's worth noting his humble background. It's believed the "stable" where he was born was actually a cave.

• Glaives are better.

At least it was a stable upbringing. 

DO HO HO

• Honestly, you should really take any history about religious figures with a grain of salt.
  • edited 2011-08-07 17:25:14
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ Thanks. That was a better explanation than just him donating (as he could have still kept enough to live comfortably)
  • edited 2011-08-07 17:41:08
    Electric Boogaloo
    The camel/eye of needle quote:

I forget who told the story to me, so I can't say anything on its accuracy, but I've been told that the "eye of a needle" is in reference to a mountain pass on a trade route or some shit like that called The Needle's Eye or whatever, which was famous for being a tight squeeze where the rider would have to get off his camel and the camel would have to lower its head in order to pass through. So the supposed point of the proverb isn't that it's impossible for a rich guy to get into heaven, it's that he has to lower his head (be humble) in order to do it. It basically meant that the rich need to do more because they have more.

But if everything about that mountain pass theory turns out to be bullshit, then disregard this post I suck cocks.
  • I depends on who tells it really. The version of the story I was told was that it was literal needle and that rich people made up the mountain interpretation because they really didn't want to get rid of all their stuff.

But who knows.
  • Scrye: that might be accurate but I currently am not able to check it out at work.  It will be interesting to see if that is what is meant.
  • edited 2011-08-07 18:45:09
    Loser
    TheConductor,
    "It is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle, than a rich man to get into Heaven"

I guess it depends on your perspective or something.

• And I've heard people say Jesus was actually a very well-to-do sort of man, otherwise no one would have listened to him in the first place.
  • You can change. You can.
    You know, that quote would make more sense, if it said "If a rich man wants to get into heaven, he should act as if he was a camel passing through a needle's eye"

But of course, you can't be a prophet if you're being clear, so
  • Nice Louie.