If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Trying to explain my viewpoint on a "no tolerance" policy for bullying

edited 2011-08-03 23:56:05 in General
Snowy Foxes

When I was younger, I got bullied a lot. I still get bullied these days, but it's mostly rumors than actually ganging up on me and that sort of stuff, so I don't really care. And part of why I don't care is because getting ganged up on made me resistant to it. So part of me doesn't support a no tolerance bullying policy. Having to prove your worth among your peers is a good thing. It prepares you for the stinking shithole that is life.

But there are some kids I know that would be dead if they weren't protected by their teachers, and I think that getting pushed a little would help them realize that they can't be protected forever. So I don't really know how to explain myself properly without sounding like a total dick. I usually get the sentiment across, but... yeah.

I probably sounded like a total dick just now. Oh well.

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    So they shouldn't be kept in a jar, but be suspended from a rope in the air, so that they can get comfortable with knowing that once the bullies reach them they are on their own, and they don't lull themselves into thinking the jar will be there forever?
  • Electric Boogaloo
    This shit again?

In my experience, zero-tolerance policies rarely achieve zero-instances of whatever they're against happening.
  • Clean your room little Billy
    I don't know whether to disagree with you or take your suggestions to further extremes.
  • Bullying is bad. But it's like a crime (I honestly don't know if bullying is classed as a crime). You can't just say "RARGH LET'S BE HARSH TO BULLIES". That wont solve anything.

What you need to do, is dig deeper, and find the root of the problem, and fix THAT.
  • Zero tolerance equals zero intelligence. Each case of bullying is different and needs a tailored-to response.
  • Insanity Addict has hit it on the head and Scrye also makes a good point.  The average enforcement of any zero tolerance policy usually results in an Orwellian form of enforcement.   Really expelling students for asprin is such horse shit.  My favorite is a narrowly avoided expulsion because a student had action figure gun in his back pack.

Zero tolerance can go die in a fire.  Taking it seriously ensuring what is reported is at least looked at and dealt with if  needed.
  • In my experience "Zero-tolerance" means "we won't let bullying happen if we see it happen, directly in front of us".
  • Electric Boogaloo
    I think equal amount of attention needs to be paid to both parties of bullying.

We need to get it across to kids to stop being dicks, and to stop being pussies.
  • The whole point of civilization is to create an enviroment where people can safely be pussies.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    All this talk about pussies and dicks are reminding me of the Big Speech in Team America.
  • edited 2011-08-04 12:23:54
    Electric Boogaloo
    ^^Uh, Negative.

^Thems got a point, though.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-04 12:24:26
    Meh. I don't think that getting bullied gives you as thick of a skin as some believe.
    Hell, a lot of bullies have insecurity issues. Just hit that button and they will either shut down or kick your ass.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    I have a question. Has anyone actually ever confirmed that bullying is the result of the bully's various insecurities? Or is it just a widely propagated belief in order to comfort the victims? Because I'm sure it gives off the wrong impression/can lead to bad advice for the victims if the bully doesn't really have many insecurities and just wants to fuck with people.
  • I think everyone has insecurities so...yeah?
    Well, that has been the case for me, but I guess that might not be the case for "a lot of bullies" then.
  • edited 2011-08-04 12:33:46
    Electric Boogaloo
    ^^But how do we know the bullying is a result of that?

The fact that non-bullies have insecurities too just means that insecurities correlate with bullying, they don't cause bullying. Especially since as you said, insecurities correlate with fucking everybody.
  • You can change. You can.
    My thoughts on the matter:

A) Bullying doesn't make kids stronger. Just weaker.

B) Bullies are also people. They don't always have reasons for what they do, though

And that's about it, really. I wasn't really bullied when I was a kid, and I'd say that around here it's a rather rare thing for someone to get bullied. 
  • They're somethin' else.
    My thought on bullying: He who shows no mercy should expect none. If you can find a way to fuck them up, either by ruining their lives or physically giving them what for, do so without hesitation. There's no one response for it. Backing down and enabling, however, is the very worse thing you can do.
  • Motivations vary and can shift over time, and succesful countermeasures vary per case. I've bullied some people throughout primary school and highschool, and it varied from playing along with the group to picking on someone because their social maladjustment annoyed me to no end. Siccing teachers on me always was the best deterrent, since I still can't get around the victim blaming even now.
  • edited 2011-08-04 16:54:50
    Electric Boogaloo
    ^^I think a more reasonable example of that is "Give what you get and get what you give." I think your no mercy rule could be misinterpreted/flanderized as "this bully called me names, so I'm going to burn his fucking house down." I think if a bully starts calling a kid names, that kid has every right to start calling the bully names back. If the bully throws punches, the kid has every right to fight back. I don't, however, encourage escalation. It only leads to disaster.
  • edited 2011-08-04 20:43:37
    Loser
    TheConductor,
    Bullying is bad. But it's like a crime (I honestly don't know if bullying is classed as a crime). You can't just say "RARGH LET'S BE HARSH TO BULLIES". That wont solve anything.

What you need to do, is dig deeper, and find the root of the problem, and fix THAT.

I agree, but I am not sure how one really finds the root of the problem or goes about dealing with it. I mean, I guess the root issue is that some people think it is okay to make fun of people for being different, whether that difference manifests itself in possessing a disability, having certain interests, being physically weak or what have you. I doubt just telling kids to be nice or to understand that it is okay to be a little different will ultimately solve the problem, at least not in the short-term. That is why I am confused about what to do next.

Some would and have said that trying to fight back is an appropriate approach. I disagree because in some situations it is not really feasible (i.e. the physical weakness or physical disability cases) and even when it is possible, I believe it only encourages people to be harsh and violent to each other, something I believe is unnecessary. Plus, I find revenge fantasies about punishing bullies pretty creepy. From what I can tell, justifying force against bullies tends to fuel those.

I pretty much concur about zero-tolerance policies for a lot of school related stuff though. I think they end up suspending and expelling plenty of people who are basically innocent.
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    @OP: You're not being a dick, just a realist; people need to realize that their teachers aren't going to be there to protect them. You have to man the fuck up and deal with the problem yourself.
  • Electric Boogaloo
    KINOISADVOCATINGSELFRELIANCEANDMACHISMOFUCKINGBURNHISHOUSEDOWN!!!!
    If you're that close I can see you.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Bully Beatdown.
    I know that guy; funny but kind of a dick.
    Your use of hyperbole amuses me, Scrye. I hope you don't fall back on that all the time.
  • People are always too quick to blame the bullies. 

What we need to do is find a way to stop it by stopping people being the kind of freaks who get bullied.

And I think, the best way to do that, is bullying./Jimmy Carr
    ^ lol