If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Fridge Brilliance pages

edited 2011-07-14 09:17:36 in General
A few of them are interesting, but most examples are just people declaring their fanwanks canon.

Comments

• edited 2011-07-14 09:22:00
    Silence is golden.
    In Twisted Metal
    3, the intro of the level London had Calypso talking about London and told the
    player to say hello to his "old friend." At first, I thought that Calypso knew
    about the British
    Royal Family
    because he said that right after he referred to the Buckingham
    Palace. Now I just realized, after almost 10 years, that Calypso was talking
    about Minion. As he is the boss that the player will face in London after
    defeating all the other oppositions
  • That's not Fridge Brilliance, that's just a logical sequence of events...
  • Silence is golden.
    Perhaps this is just me trying to squeeze any last bit of juice out of a relatively average game, but the plot of HAWX reads a LOT better as a Xanatos Gambit by whoever is running Las Trinidad, the game's Latin American Chavez/Castro substitutes that you really don't see too much of. The first time you see them, they throw a few dozen planes and landing craft at Rio (with or without potential partisans inside the city) in an attempt to decapitate the Brazilian leadership and gain dominance over Latin America. Naturally, you (a pilot for the local PMC, Artemis, which has just signed a "lucrative" contract with the Brazilians) tear them to shreds, save the Brazilians, and earn tons of money for Artemis while LT has botched their first strike and now has to await a counterattacked coupled with American intervention against them. All well and good, right? But pay attention to the briefing for that mission: it says that Las Trinidad's PMC (ie "Mercenary") units have been put on high alert, so chances are that the LT units you killed off at Rio and in the few other missions later were not "home-grown" units dedicated to LT's agenda, but rather mercenaries with no permanent loyalties and who are thus disposable. So, after their defeat by Artemis at Rio forces LT on the defensive, what do they do? Simple: they BRIBE Artemis- the force responsible for their defeat at Rio- with a BETTER CONTRACT then their Brazilian one, wagering (correctly) that the senior stockholders are all Corrupt Corporate Executives who will sell their country and their ex-allies up the river if paid enough and who are desperate due to profit downturns after the official American intervention. This maneuver violates the Reykjavik Accords that legalizes the PM Cs in the first place. Keep this in mind. So, after increasingly tense situations with command, Artemis does a FaceHeelTurn and back-stabs the US and Brazil. Naturally, you being the patriotic, pro-American gamer that you are, desert and start kicking Artemis around. This naturally ticks Uncle Sam off (likely since Artemis is probably American-based, is largely run and staffed by Americans, and is in violation of the Reykjavik accords), and thus they demand that Artemis disarm. Apparently, because the Board of Directors are either Randian fanatics or Too Dumb to Live, they decide to pull a coup that leads to a mini-civil war breaking out across the US, leaving tens of thousands dead. Because of the chaos, the Reykjavik Accords get tossed out (thus outlawing PM Cs again), and you get sent back to save the day by blowing Artemis' CEO and his inner cadre to hell. So, where does the Xanatos Gambit come in? Think about this: First, LT sends in an invasion of Rio spearheaded by disposable mercs who have no allegiance to them and who- if shanghaied into national service- would probably be fighting AGAINST them. If they had won, it would have been a simple coup before a march to Brasilia to clean up any loyalist resistance before the US can react. But, since they lost they have only lost a few hundred mercs with little loyalty- and perhaps some native LT sympathizers- while testing Artemis' capabilities. After this, they choose to bribe Artemis, thus getting THAT firepower on their side while continuing to use mainly disposable mercs while forcing an international incident over the rights of PM Cs. After the situation spirals out of hand and Artemis attempts to launch a coup that fails but DEVASTATES important areas of the US, Las Trinidad has achieved a major victory: they have managed to turn and destroy the mercenary company that stopped them from taking Brazil by forcing it to fight Brazil's chief ally- the US-, with a mini-civil war in the US that outclasses 9/11 diverting attention from Las Trinidad's war against Brazil, ALL WHILE LOOSING ONLY EXPENDABLE MERCENARIES (HELL, they probably only had to pay Artemis' up-front fee!) WHILE DAMAGING THE BRAZILIANS, REMOVING PM Cs from the Table, ALL WHILE PRESERVING THEIR DEDICATED CADRES TO GO TO A "ROUND 2" against Brazil while the US is still distracted by Artemis!!!!! Either Clancy's writers are SMART or I should have their jobs
    • This troper always wondered why Moe characters are usually 16. Then he realized... 16 is the age of consent in Japan. Most parts anyways.
    Except they aren't.  Plenty are older or younger than that.  If anything, it's just because that's a normal age for first- or second-year high-school students.

A note about attachment in a Psychology textbook led me to realise something about Moe,
    and anime character designs in general. What neonatal features
    encourage a caring response, and are even used to gauge adult
    attractiveness? Big eyes, small noses and chins and high foreheads.

The fact that it took a person until after they read a psychology book to figure this out just indicates that they aren't very smart, not that it's Fridge Brilliance. Because really, it's pretty obvious, and something everyone knows.

For a long time, this troper thought that "Puella Magi" as a
    mistranslation, the product of someone at Shaft not brushing up on their
    dictionary skills enough. Given the Japanese title of the show, this
    troper still isn't certain that that isn't the case. But one thing
    that's starting to sway this troper away from that point of view is
    remembering that 'magus', the adjective in question, has a
    double-meaning - it may obviously be the root of 'magicus', whence we
    get our word 'magic' and all words related thereto, but it itself
    originally meant 'wise' i.e. the wise men of primitive tribes or of
    priesthoods, who naturally cultivated a certain air of mysticism around
    them and, thus, magic. Now to return to 'Puella Magi'. Given that 'Magi'
    is an adjective which doesn't agree with anything else in the title, it
    should be taken to mean 'of the Wise Man'. Or, alternatively, 'of
    Wiseman'. Now who does that remind you of...?

I have no words for how stupid this is.

This Troper recently took a class on the history of Dance. One thing we
    learned about Romantic-Era Ballet is that it comes in two acts, Light
    and Dark. The first act (Light) was traditionally set in a town, had
    colorful and predominantly light-colored costumes, and showcased a very
    pure and selfless love between a noble and a commoner. The second act
    (Dark) was usually set in a forest or graveyard, involved the death or
    ruin of the male protagonist, had an increased number of females, and
    usually had much darker costumes. Princess Tutu
    is set up in two seasons, which are themselves the two acts of a Romantic Era Ballet. The show itself is META!

Wait, so you're saying that Princess Tutu, an anime heavily inspired by ballet... is structured like a ballet?  SHOKKU!

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    That last one is honestly pretty cool. 
  • edited 2011-07-26 19:30:22

• edited 2011-07-26 19:47:34
    It is illuminating. The last sentence just sounds out-of-place and idiotic, and I edited it out.
  • edited 2011-07-26 19:35:54
    Fine.  I will accept that the last one is valid.  Except for its final sentence which, while true, is completely irrelevant and silly.
  • edited 2011-07-26 19:44:44
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I want to comment on something but it would involve namedropping
  • edited 2011-07-26 20:04:03
    Cue-bey
    Jade's sprite prototyped with Bec. Jack, wearing the prototyping ring, gains Bec's powers, becoming nigh omnipotent. Now remember that monsters (imps and whatnot) also get powers from prototyping.
    Considering this has been gone over at length within the narrative, I doubt this qualifies as fridge anything.
    The purpose of the Exiles is to repopulate the players'
    planet. The Midnight Crew and Snowman are Exiles of the Trolls' session.
    We know the Felt couldn't be Exiles, as they are green, and they don't
    resemble either Prospitians or Dersites. This means that the Midnight
    Crew brutally murdered their own descendants.

Since next to nothing is known about the Felt's origins or what they are, this is just an idiotic conclusion.
    Karkat hates the thought of wearing his blood colour on
    his sleeve and dresses in grey, becoming a classless 'ablood'. However,
    he decorates his home with bright red sails and pennants, the same
    colour as his mutant blood - it's established that he had his home built
    for him when he was a very young child, and while he was a grub he
    still had a visible red body.

How is this fridge horror at all? Considering nothing bad came of that or really conceivably could it doesn't seem that horrific.

In other news, writing these types of things for an unfinished story is kinda silly.
  • It didn't occur to me until just moments ago as I read this very wiki's Tetris page that each and every Tetris piece is comprised of four blocks. Four. Tetra. Tetrominos. That's why the game's called Tetris, not just because four lines is the highest-scoring combo! And I've been playing Tetris ever since I was a kid! My brother and sister and I made up lyrics to Music A! * HEADDESK HEADDESK HEADDESK*

I actually do think it's pretty impressive that this person managed to make the connection between the name "Tetris" and the number 4, but still somehow fail to realize how many blocks make up each Tetris piece.  Well, by impressive I mean I'm amused at this person's expense.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
  • Maybe the Fridge namespace would be better if it wasn't treated like a Troper Tales namespace. Honestly, it has potential (you'll never see Maximillion Pegasus the same way again after seeing his Fridge Horror Entry).
  • Aradia's role in SGRUB is Maid. In her society she should be a person who carries "sex toys". She's doing it right.

I get that this a bucket joke, but the linked page seems to have no relation at all.