If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

'X game company only cares about money'

edited 2011-07-25 21:31:21 in General
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
No they don't. Anyone with brains doesn't go into the profession to get rich. They care about their games selling, yes, but that's because they need to eat, in addition to wanting their message to reach as many people as they can.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • edited 2011-07-25 21:43:46
    It doesn't matter what their intentions are. You can't survive as a video game company without keeping at least some of your customers happy.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    and you can't survive as a company by pandering to a select few.
  • All companies exist to make money.

They don't give the slightest fuck about you.

It'e the slips of paper in your wallet. That's all they give a fuck about.
    I think that's an unfair exagerration. While companies themselves are profit-motivated, there are plenty of people in the company who want to give you sublime gaming or reading experiences or want to inspire you.
  • If a programmer wants to make money, they don't go into the game industry.  They go into something like databases.
  • I don't use paper money because it lacks a consistent market value. I don't trust the stuff.
    ^^Right. It's a pretty low-income business.

^ummm... congratulations?
  • edited 2011-07-26 00:05:15
    ^^ So what do you use instead? Coins? Gold? Livestock collateral?
  • preferrable coins of gold and silver. Silver these days since gold is apperently outlawed as currency.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    While I understand the profit motive, it is sad to see companies totally consumed by greed, to the point where they use underhanded tactics to win out rather than, say, make good games. Remember when EA (which used to mean "Electronic Arts") used to be that company that would put pictures and brief bios of game designers in the manual in order to bring attention to the people who made the games, and not the big evil company that buys out smaller developers just to own profitable IPs? That kind of stuff makes me not even wanna get a PS3.

I personally never understood greed. If I ever made even a million dollars off of a game company, I would put that money in a savings account, shut the company down and live off the savings--unless I was in it for the art.
    EA is a pretty massive conglomerate with many different heads. While they released generic shlock like Madden and Dante's Inferno, they also took chances when they saved Tim Schafer's Brutal Legend.

Which isn't to say that EA is a good company. It's just important to keep in mind that in that amorphous blob of people there are lots of good people in these companies who do want to deliver high quality products. It's just that almost any company is going to be covered in so much focus-grouping and market-focusing that they get crushed under all the well-intentioned red tape. Unless their name is Peter Moleyneux.

^^There are minted gold coins that are legal tender. People just don't use them because their store of value  is higher when bought and sold as gold. Lrn2Economics.
  • I think hope Tnu's joking.
  • hm i thoguth I remembered a bit where FDR outlawed the use of gold as currency in the US.
    I remember us being taken off the gold standard...

But I can't see how it can be outlawed. If the other guy wants to accept a gold coin as payment, how can you stop him?

So, can we talk about video games some more? Pretty please?
  • right sorry about that.
  • Thane of rum-guzzling and necromancy

It's true to say that some companies only care about money. But it's mostly not corrupt corporate executives designing the games. Let's compare, say, Westwood pre-EA, and the successor EA studios designing C&C games. Before, Westwood was largely artistically led, there were lots of fresh ideas on new games which directed the company's objectives. After, the EA bigwigs came in and ordered the studio to maximise profit. Artistic value took a back seat, games were made regardless of creative vision or the lack of it. Hit and miss. C&C 4 for example, was creatively bankrupt. It made alot of departures because executives wanted to emulate the success of other real time tactics games. RA3 was much less story driven. All the focus was on multiplayer value because EA decided that's where they decided they could make a bigger profit. Publisher-driven games companies aren't all that bad, there are still people who care about being creative.

But essentially, what Malk said.

^^ Okay, I watched that review and honestly... I didn't understand a damned thing Yahtzee was talking about.

Though honestly, I feel like Yahtzee has lost all the things that made him good.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    Game reiviewers (such as Yahtzee) confuse the living hell out of me. Y so raeg.

Anyway, most companies are in things at least partly for the money. The extent of that varies from company to company, and I've found honestly has little bearing on the quality of what they make.