If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"It's a war. You're SUPPOSED to do that."

edited 2011-07-14 22:55:44 in General
Snowy Foxes

Things like Nanking, the Holocaust, and My Lai?

I kindly ask you to refrain from procreation.

Comments

• edited 2011-07-14 22:56:43
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Wow.  Just wow.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    I think you forgot Unit 731,
  • I'm not a big history person, sorry.

-Wikipedia Unit 731-

OH GOD

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Letting misanthropes talk about war was the worst idea I ever had. I have never wanted to stomp on somebody's head so badly.
  • Yeah, humans have done stuff like that.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Welp, I generally use things like that as an argument for why you shouldn't go to war.

I mean, war is meant to defeat your enemies by whatever means possible and get what you want so 'war crime' has always sounded tautological to me.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >"It's a war. You're SUPPOSED to do that."

No you're not. The only thing you're supposed to is bomb them from orbit. :D
  • War Crimes.

They're are criminalizing wars for a reason people.

They cost too much. :D
  • Note that most of the big boffins within Unit 731 got amnesty from the Americans in exchange for the data from their biological experiments. It's not how you do war, it's how you do research!
  • edited 2011-07-15 07:15:36
    Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

If I remember my American history correctly, the British Military would just stand in lines and fire guns at enemies and take a while to reload their weapons. War in those days were more like turn-based RPGs, except you pretty much had 1 HP.

• @The_Edge: War was never like that.

Play war like a gentleman's game and you lose.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Then, I did not remember my American history correctly?
    Fun fact: The reason all those horrific and terrible things in history were done had nothing to do with whether they were moral (because are you invading another country? Guess what! You've lost the morality card!) They were done because they worked.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    ^^^I looked it up. They did stand in lines, but also formed three ranks. While one reloaded the another would fire and so on.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    If this thread was in OTC, a third te posts would be reasonable, a third would try to justify them, and a third would say "I'm losing my faith in humanity!".
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    @OP: Some kinds of killing are acceptable, whereas other kinds are not.
  • Glaives are better.
    It's expected for someone to commit atrocities, even during the modern era. It isn't right, it isn't nice, but it happens.
  • Fun fact: The reason all those horrific and terrible things in history
    were done had nothing to do with whether they were moral (because are
    you invading another country? Guess what! You've lost the morality
    card!) They were done because they worked.

Incorrect. Mengele's experiments, for instance, were horribly unscientific and contributed no meaningful data. When people talk of scientific advances made by Nazi scientists during the Holocaust, they're talking about other researchers, who used more scientific (and generally less joyously inhumane) methods. Josef was just a psychopath with a scalpel given license to have fun with the Jews.

Also, I'm not sure what you're saying the Rape of Nanking accomplished. Other than, y'know, a whole lot of Japanese soldiers getting their dicks wet.

The most infamous wartime atrocities are not simply notorious because they were unpleasant, but because they were so monstrously unnecessary.
  • edited 2011-07-15 13:58:02
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    The most infamous wartime atrocities are not simply notorious because
    they were unpleasant, but because they were so monstrously unnecessary.

This.  It's why things like the Holocaust and the Rape of Nanking are abhorred and looked upon as horrific atrocities, while things like the firebombing of Tokyo or the use of the atomic bomb on are Japan are, while not seen as good things by any means, are more or less tolerated.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    And also because we won.
    ^^^I didn't say the were necessary. I said they worked. There's a significant difference. If we're going to get into the specific goals of all these things we'll be here all day.
  • But how can something work if it does not produce useful results (Mengele), or ends up backfiring horribly (Nanking)?
  • You can change. You can.
    Terror and horror warfare.
  • The War on terror.
  • or ends up backfiring horribly

That would be something they thought would work, but failed. Not that I support that event in any case. The most it could do is decrease the morale of the enemy in war as far as I know.
  • ^^^ ^^ Sorry, what were those two posts in response to?

^ Again, assuming that they bothered putting some strategy into it rather than just gettin' their sadist on. Not all actions in warfare are motivated by calculating pragmatism.
  • Snow, where do you live that racist asshats like these breed? 

Never see that many where I live.
  • Silly Chaglemeister, racist asshats breed everywhere.

Everywhere.
  • ^^ A quiet suburb. The weeaboos and rich white kids are poisoning an otherwise good school system that subtly preaches white supremacy. In other words, Republican Town!

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    Let me guess, people there keep thinking you're Japanese.