If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Are you interested in an IJBM IRC channel?

edited 2012-03-01 12:16:03 in IJBM meta
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For those who don't know: Internet Relay Chat, or IRC, is a medium for live online text chat.  Typically, people connect to a chat room (called a "channel") on a particular network, using their choice of IRC program (typically called a "client"), and...well, they engage in text chat.  Or idle, as the case may be.

Things that we could do with it:
* real-time chat, if anyone wants to hang out with other people virtually.  This is like mumu, but you can have more than 5 people at a time, but no music.  (But see bot services below.)
* easily-accessible tech support: because UE hangs out on IRC a lot of the time.  At least, he idles on it, so you can just leave him a message.
* IRC bot services.  A "bot" is a user who is actually a script that can do various things, such as rolling dice, looking up things on the web, announcing an internet radio, running trivia and other chat room games, and much more.
* a place to gather for liveblogging or coordinated watching/listening sessions.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Maybe, yeah.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't really use IRC much (Have been meaning to visit #yackfest sometime), but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I should mention the downside: You need to install your own IRC client; there are a lot of them out there to choose from but there's no one-stop shop to tell you which one to pick.  That said, people like myself, UE, ponicalica, and others, who are experienced IRC users, can help you connect to IRC.

Some common IRC clients:
    * mIRC: effectively freeware; it's nagware.  Has a lot of scripting possibilities.
    * X-Chat: not quite freeware either: free up to an older version, but newer versions are open-source...which means you can get unofficial builds that are free.  Very nice interface; my personal choice.
    * Pidgin: a multi-platform chat client that does IRC, AIM, MSN, GTalk, and other protocols.  IRC interface isn't that great, though.
    * Chatzilla: a pretty nice IRC client that is a Firefox plugin.
    * ViRC (Visual IRC): lesser-known but still very nice IRC client.

And if all else fails, you should be able to use Mibbit, which is a webpage going to it.

FYI we will most likely be on the Espernet Network (connect through irc.esper.net, which will throw you to one of the network's several servers worldwide).  Espernet currently houses #tropers and #yackfest anyway, both of which are spinoffs of the TV Tropes community.

• No rainbow star
    Now I can annoy you all real time! 8D
  • You can change. You can.
    Isn't there already an ijbm irc channel?

There is a channel called #ijbm on Espernet, which I registered a long, long time ago (back when IJBM was still on TVTF), but it's served as a (mostly) idle modcave for #yackfest.  Sees use as a bot-testing ground for ponicalica and Illflower, a place to discuss problem chatters, and area for displaying UST between various #yackfest mods.

I plan to have that modcave moved elsewhere and use that for our channel.

Fair enough. Works for me as long as you make me an OP. don't worry, I'll be fair and just apply Illflower's school of OPing to the whole thing. IE Kicking the shit out of everyone

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Many IJBMers are already on #yackfest, so I don't know how necessary having a special channel for IJBM would be. That said, #yackfest can often get overcrowded.

• EVERYONE GET THE FUCK OUT. I GOT THIS

Speaking of #yackfest, get you bum on sometimes, Milos. >:|

Some people don't feel comfortable in #yackfest, and there are things which I think are better to not discuss there, as much as I like the place. that, and there are advantages to having our own channel. It's not necessary, that much is true. But how many things are?

• edited 2012-03-01 15:48:26
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

@JackMackerel: I was there last night. I've got a lot to study as of late, so I don't have as much time for the internet. Heck, I can't apply at the Faculty of Law just by asking them nicely.

• a little muffled

I think it's a nice idea, but I'd probably visit it about as often as I do #yackfest...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd probably just leave it open like I do #yackfest

• No rainbow star

Question:

So a bot can be made that allows us to upload music for it to play, thus replacing Mumu?

If so, then this IRC channel needs to be made immediately

I don't think a bot can do that, no. 

• No rainbow star

:<

A bot can't do that, but a bot can announce someone's own radio server, which you can connect to listen to their music.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

^ of which I still run such a thing.

• I think I'm more comfortable using a messageboard for this kind of stuff, honestly.

Which is fair, but it's not like we're going to dissolve IJBM just so we can move to a channel.

• I'll join.

> mIRC now stops working after X evaluation days.

Screw that.

• No rainbow star
    ^ There are a lot of free IRC clients though :<
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I use IceChat. It's shit compared to mIRC, but I got used to it.

I'm trying out this newer version of X-Chat: http://www.xchat-wdk.org/

I'll let y'all know how well it works. Hopefully, it doesn't crash as much as Silverex.

• a little muffled

> potentially non-terrible free version of XChat for Windows

I think I will give this a try too.

Well, it's official now.

The IRC channel of IJBM is: #ijbm on Espernet (irc.esper.net)

Mibbit link (Mibbit is basically IRC through a webpage, but you should get your own client if you plan on hanging around): http://wbeuk2.mibbit.com/?server=irc.esper.net:5555&channel=#ijbm

• No rainbow star

Yep. The room is deeeeeaaaaad

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^That link just gives me a black screen. Also, #ijbm isn't listed in Esper's room list.

I think it still has the s flag