If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: People play roguelikes (and probably die horribly)!

edited 2012-02-27 07:17:14 in Media
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, yeah. Every self-respecting forum needs a roguelike thread.

The only one I've had any luck with is Stone Soup. I've tried Dwarf Fortress (all my dorfs died), and I've tried Nethack (I was killed by a falling rock).

Today's playthrough did... not go well.

Five orcs, one an orc priest and two orc wizards, at Level 6? Fuck that.

Amusingly enough, I leveled up fighting one of the orc wizards.

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

*Obligatory "Alice sucks at roguelikes forever" post*

Uh... yeah. Oops.

• edited 2012-02-27 10:57:11
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I've tried Dwarf Fortress (all my dorfs died)

I've never really understood how that counts as a roguelike. Maybe adventure mode, but not the main game.

Anyway, Roguelikes I play (might be missing some):

• Nethack

• The Binding of Isaac

• Dungeons of Dredmore (the one I'm best at)

• Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (not very far in it)

• Baroque

• Desktop Dungeons

And Dwarf Fortress, for those who count it as one.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

ADoM, the dorfs, Doom Roguelike and occasional others.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Sigmun and Jessica tag-teamed me :(

Last time I met Sigmund, Grinder was with him. Painful.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Died on D2.

Fucking Sigmund. My poor little Deep Elf didn't stand a chance :(

• No rainbow star
    I still need to finish my Nethack run

Finding a wand of wishing on the second floor was :D
  • edited 2012-03-06 12:41:00
    But you never had any to begin with.

I hope you wished for blessed +3 Silver Dragon Scale Mail. :P

• No rainbow star

^ I did. Then in an emergency I put on my ring of polymorph (I started out with it) and hoped for something good as otherwise I would have been one shot

I learned then that I could become a dragon whenever I wanted :D

• Child of Darkness

Mmm yes, dragon scale mail is useful like that.

I just died by getting paralyzed by a floating eye and attacked -- tends to be one of my standard idiot moves.  I'm not careful enough for roguelikes.

I did get to meet the Oracle, though.

• Uh... yeah. Oops.

That was pretty much inevitable from the moment you named her that.

• You can change. You can.

But...Jaya sets other things on fire, not her

Actually, Jaya's ultimate ability kills her unless she's been buffed.

• You can change. You can.

hush you

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So. Dwarf Fortress. I embark only to find that the area is infested with both wolverine men and brown recluse spider men. Not a good way to start things off.

A bit later, the following combat log appears:

The Wolverine Man has become enraged!
    The Wolverine Man misses the expedition leader!
    The expedition leader counterstrikes!
    The expedition leader strikes The Wolverine Man in the right hand with her (copper pickaxe) and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    The Wolverine Man is no longer enraged.

That last bit made me laugh pretty hard.

The Wolverine Man sounds like a terrible X-Men ripoff.

Content:

...I have really bad luck with burny things, don't I?

It sounds less like one when there are also peregrine falcon men, sponge men, and copperhead snake men on the same map.

• No rainbow star
    ^ An anthropomorphic wonderland!

So, what would be a good tileset for Dwarf Fortress?
  • edited 2012-03-10 16:23:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I started off with one that came with some tutorial pack I downloaded, but I don't use one anymore.

A new version with new stuff just came out, so I'm not sure there is one that's up to date ATM.

• No rainbow star
    Ah, so I'll have to wait

Because dammit that game is hard enough without having to learn what character is what thing on the screen

I have no idea what game that is, Saigyouji.

^^It's not that difficult. The "k" key is "look," which you can use to check stuff that isn't obvious, and a lot of stuff is fairly simple.

• I usually think ASCII is actually clearer, for roguelikes.  At the very least, it's simpler, which makes it a lot quicker to parse once you know what everything means (and actually, it's not any harder to learn what the ASCII represents than to learn what the tiles represent).

• No rainbow star
    ^ However, with tiles I can, at a glance, go, "That looks like a monster" or, "Treasure!" or, "Just a rock" and so on

I have no idea what game that is, Saigyouji.

DoomRL.

Oh.

Well, damn.

• edited 2012-03-19 06:24:38
    My arms are falling off!

ADOM is quite detailed but still quite noob-unfriendly (lol random encounters on the world map), and Dwarf Fortress to me just doesn't seem like my thing no matter how many times people will tell me that "losing is fun." I don't like games that are tantamount to coordinating air traffic with no prior formal training.

The one roguelike where I have a sense of what I'm doing is NetHack, where I can make my way to about level 8 or 9 as a Ranger, and then the giant ant bites! The giant ant bites! The giant ant bites! You die...

Playing Dwarf Fortress.

Lost a miner while constructing a magma lake. He wasn't fast enough.

Naturally, mere seconds later I realized how I could have done that with no risks.

Said miner came back as a ghost, because I didn't memorialize him. I couldn't memorialize him because he wasn't ever confirmed dead. I still can't do so, because he's still not confirmed dead, despite having come back as a ghost >:/

that doesnt make sense