If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

African American

edited 2012-02-22 03:34:43 in Meatspace
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

The term just seems stupid when used to refer to someone who is black and carries implications about their cultural and societal identity.

Especially stupid when referring to someone who is black but whose nationality isn't American.  

Comments

• No rainbow star

Reminds me of how one student was apparently expelled from a university for claiming to be African American while having white skin... Despite being born in Africa and moving to the US, thus making him... African American

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It's really just the politically correct way of saying "black." I myself have no problems just calling somebody black, although I understand how others might. It does get a bit silly, though, when you have a black person from a place like Canada, Australia, etc. who is called "African-American." I've even heard stories of people who live in Africa being called African-Americans. I suppose if you've been taught your whole life that people of a certain skin color are called that, then you'd never even think twice about saying it towards someone not from America.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It does get a bit silly, though, when you have a black person from a place like Canada, Australia, etc. who is called "African-American."

Canada's in America :P

That nitpick aside, though, I agree with you.

• I'm not sure I've seen anyone insist on African-American.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I remember someone asking once whether LotR had a fantasy counterpart to African Americans. 

• I for one am fine with the label Chinese-Canadian, but I do find it silly to apply it to someone not of Canadian birth. I find it more silly to have immigrants Anglicize their names.

I guess it comes down to an identity issue. Labels have always been arbitrary, but how much do you accept your country's national identity before it intrudes on your ethnic identity? I'd think the answer would vary from person to person.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

It's really just the politically correct way of saying "black."

Over here black is the politically correct way of saying black.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Over here "coon" is the politically correct way of saying black. 

Not really, but it doesn't stop up from having a brand of cheese called that. 

• IanExMachina,

Especially stupid when referring to someone who is black but whose nationality isn't American.

Yeah, that is pretty weird.

Honestly though, I think it is an alright term to use for people who are black and are American. It seems to me that the problem gets to be when the way you refer to people is not really equal. Basically, my issue is with calling people Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans etc. and then never using a term like Anglo American or Euro American to refer to people who are white.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You know what's silly?

When you realize that Russell Peters is an Indian-Canadian comedian.

• Champion of the Whales

Wasn't a story where some American news presenter kept insisting that a Black British Athlete was African American?

• "African American is a stupid term because I may be black, but I have never been to Africa or America" ~ Some Guy.