If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Indie Game Designers

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> futuristic space comedy + RPG

> evil clown with lasers

> "Is there enough belts?" "There's never enough belts."

o hai thar lulu

• edited 2012-02-20 19:52:19

IGN needed an interesting program to air, so they cherry-picked these guys out of a larger pool of more normal game designers, like how American Idol cherry-picks the most embarassing singers.

trufax

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^I wouldn't be surprised, but that doesn't change the fact that these people exist.

Going from evil space laser clown to whatever the racing/medieval group is doing, the video editors forgot to change the background music. :P

"We decided to do a dominatrix feminist.  We knew we were kinda digging a hole for ourselves."

That's when you should have stopped.

"She walks around with the boy character on a leash."

Uh, I think the point can be made with giving her things like belts, whips, and and fishnet stockings.  You don't need an author insert in there.

"[This idea will be something people either] love or hate, but at least it's gonna raise some eyebrows"

Are they doing this to troll people?

Annoyingly overstyled MC lady is annoyingly overstyled.  Why can't she just dress like, well, everyone else in the show?

Okay, I'm having trouble getting the IGN media player to work properly, so I'm switching to Youtube.  It turns out that this was actually the first pilot episode of a reality show; the first season has begun in earnest and features different people.

• "Why can't she just dress like, well, everyone else in the show?"

If you're going to put up with utterly clueless, sheltered bigots, you might as well look classy doing so. 

• What these guys need is a manly picnic.

Okay, here we go.  See the guy sitting net to MC lady?  He's normally dressed.  This already smells of pandering to (what is likely) a primarily male viewer base, on IGN's part.  Can't say I'm surprised, but just disappointed.

"Given what we created, I'm just glad it was a guy."

*facepalm*

> Feminist Apocalypse: a Reckoning

> post-apocalyptic realistic simulation

...somehow, I think they missed the "realistic" part.

> "We started with things we know, which is dating, and being single."

Well, that sheds light on the origin of their crazy idea.

> feminists have taken over EU, promise alcohol and sex to men who go to labor camps to perform manual labor

...I'm sorry, as much as I like puns, that pun was powerless to save your idea from being seen as utterly absurd.

> "yep"

Did that judge just agree with the horrible pun I just heard?

> "because we're not out foresting stuff"

what the hell is this supposed to mean

BUT WAIT!  It gets worse!

> "The object of the game, and the gameplay are a metaphorical realistic simulation to dating."

1. comma splice

2. I don't think they understand the concept of "realistic simulation".

3. I think a wizard just animated some straw men.

I don't know what I'm looking at but I never want to see it again.

Okay, so I actually have found a bit of manipulative editing.

The male judge says that he wants to tell these two jokers honestly that he likes their idea the best...so far.

They're the first group to present.  There's a reason for that comment.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So there is some manipulative editing, it's just of the "saving the worst for last" variety rather than "making good people look bad" variety.

If you look at the MC right now, you can tell she is hoping to not to have to deal with that anymore, ever again, as the second group comes up to present.

> Baron von Mufflecakes

I can see the mufflers, but I can't help from thinking that this looks like Doctor Ivo Robotnik.

> tons of belts, tons of pouches
    > those are RPG elements

i c wat u did thar

:D

> tosses laser pies made of laser, sprinkles, and hot dog cookies

I have no more words for this.

And I definitely like this idea more than the first one.  The similarity to Dr. Robotnik is definitely exploitable; just pull some personality traits from AoStH Robotnik.

Starting to suspect guest judge...

> hitler raptor piñata

I actually agree with the guest judge's assessment of this; IF you could get this silly idea off the ground and establish a fanbase among young children, this is potentially re-marketable in various ways.

• "We started with things we know, which is dating, and being single."

At least when Tommy Wiseau started with those things, the results were hilarious. 

Okay, time worm monster thing boss actually sounds much better than anything I came up with.  They really did put the "horror" into this idea.

I think this is the best idea so far, with Baron von Mufflecakes being second.

Guy with badger hat is not inspiring confidence in my expectations.

> you're a village racing against a castle

> there's a princess, and you're racing to win her heart

whuh?

> Oppressor X: a castle with feet

whut

> launching dead ugly princesses at you

> with bubonic plague

what the fuck am I listening to

I hope the "ugly" part has to do with their corpses being decayed or something.

> get castle boss down one third of health, it grows arms that throw barrels containing witches

If you thought Baron von Mufflecakes was a hodgepodge of ideas, this is worse.

> third stage: produces poop

Okay, now that's just too juvenilely silly.

> if you're stuck in that, you've lost any chance of winning the heart of the queen

I thought it was a princess?

And hey, I like cart racers.

Well, that's the end of that.

My first thought is that this had more to do with character/plot/flavor design than actual game design (such as mechanics).

My second thought is, if I see a pair of game developers who are serving as the local bar in an office, I will be sure not to patronize them.  Either their drinks or their games.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> big army RTS + horror

This is a really interesting concept, but it seems wasted on these participants. One cannot add zombies and called it "horror". 

• Moving Castle boss I can get behind, gate as mouth I can get behind, spitting out zombie minions I can get behind, towers as giant cannonbarrels I can get behind, but flooding the area with shit? Where does that even logically flow from?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> flooding
    > flow

ha 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ because chamberpots

obviously