If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Indie Game Designers

edited 2012-02-20 19:40:04 in Media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5ev2Dp4I0&feature=player_embedded

Edit: Changing category from "General" to "Media". ~GMH

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> reenactors
    > not martial artists

FFFFFFFFF

GRRR.

AGH.

CHRIST.

ALL OF CHRISTENDOM IS LOST. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

But seriously, the misogyny and lack of creativity is ridiculous coming from people that want to call themselves game designers. 

"Feminist Apocalypse" might be one of the worst ideas in a long time, and the whole female angle appears to be something that the game designers added themselves. Why on earth would anyone do that? 

I wish that little five minutes thing revealed what projects they had been given. Or maybe it did. I skipped a chunk of it. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I wish that little five minutes thing revealed what projects they had been given. Or maybe it did. I skipped a chunk of it. 

I saw this awhile ago. IIRC, they came up with the entire thing on their own.

Honestly, watching this makes me feel optimistic. I can do better than that.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Hehe.
    I knew what the thread was about before clicking.

I can't believe how terrible the guys were though, I mean the stuff they say and how hilarious they find their own plan is just idiotic. 

• I hope the judges got a pay raise for sitting through that without cringing.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...I'd like to see the version of this without the possibly manipulative video editing.

• edited 2012-02-20 11:35:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^It pretty clearly shows that they came up with the idea themselves and were proud of it. Maybe manipulation makes them seem worse, but there's not much benefit of the doubt available to give them.

• If Feminist Conspiracy actually made it to the shops, I'd probably buy it thinking it was some sort of parody of the over-the-top masculinity of gamer culture(like House of The Dead: Overkill's ending, or No More Heroes). Shame that it's just an offensive-as-possible hyuk hyuk affair.

• You can change. You can.

Most of the video editing seems to be basically repeating a clip once or twice to emphasize the action. I don't see how's that particularly manipulative.

Anyway, ctrl + w'd the moment they said "Villain = Women"

^

> possibly

I'll watch the entire clip in a bit.

• This can't be real. It's so idiotic that it should be a parody.

WHY

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Really the editing isn't manipulative, they are that terrible.

• No rainbow star

I stopped at Polish People

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I watched the first part of the video so I knew this was bad, but nothing could have prepared me for that last part.

• ^What was it? I stopped after they said "Polish people." 

• edited 2012-02-20 15:24:02

Feminist Apocalypse. Or: "We were fools. Because we demanded equal rights (tacitly rejecting men), we must suffer through the apocalypse."

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-20 15:27:22

I'm trying to divine from half-assedly reading the comments here without actually watching the video what indie game designers have to do with a feminist apocalypse and Polish people.  It's probably more entertaining than what's actually there.

• edited 2012-02-20 15:31:54
    Has friends besides tanks now

I think I got to their third slide on "Feminist Apocalypse" before I closed the tab.

As for the video editing, I felt that it was more for emphasis; those untalented jackasses did a fine enough job making themselves look bad on their own.

Okay, watching the video now.

First thought, based on it and on the abbreviated video earlier: Why does the female MC look so much more formal and/or well-groomed than anyone else?  I know that another of the panelists who sat next to her (in the first video) is a guy who was wearing casual clothes.  And all the participants (including the one single female participant) are all dressed in casual clothes too.

I guess it could be _kinda_ justified in that she's also the narrator, but that doesn't mean that the emphasis on her beauty is not distracting.

The group from (I think) Carnegie Mellon seems to have gotten a good idea on their hands--that is, paying attention to the physical reaction of being hit by melee weapons, in the context of a Medieval combat game.

• edited 2012-02-20 19:01:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

First group gets "violent FPS" boss + "kiddie animated E rated" game.  Interesting.  Let's see what I come up with for this.

Well, you can very easily have cartoon violence.  You can have crazy looking monsters, whose limbs fall apart on death, and you can have an FPS view where your character is shooting it with snowballs or something (assuming you can't use cartoonish bombs, like round things with big rope fuses).  Make them explode with very cartoony graphics, such as a pointy splash effect.

...they came up with violence is bad and using the acceptable target of Nazis?  Not what I'd do.  Let's see what comes of this.

Sorry for being afk for a moment.

> futuristic space comedy + role playing game

Hmm.  Well, space comedy makes me think of sci-fi stuff with a comedic twist, such as Roger Wilco.  You can also parody existing sci-fi RPGs such as Phantasy Star.  That combination isn't that hard, for understanding the genre.  As for the boss...

...hmm, nothing yet, other than "some sort of joke boss in a sci-fi RPG".  Maybe a parody of a...yes!  ROBO-MECHADRAGON 9000!  Yeah, some sort of clearly medieval-european-high-fantasy-themed monster, but hamhandedly stuck into a space sci-fi context.

> alien robot clown

Not too bad, honestly.  should make it an evil clown for good measure.

• edited 2012-02-20 19:32:43

> realistic simulation + post-nuclear apocalypse

The setting makes me think of Fallout first, but I haven't played the Fallout games so I can't think up something with that.  I did have a post-climate-change setting in my head, and I could probably extrapolate from that with just a few more doses of world-clouded-in-darkness feel from Chrono Trigger's A.D. 2300.

Realistic simulation...okay, platforming is out.  FPS is probably also out.  Roguelike might be in; stealth games might be in as long as you're very constrained as to what you can do.  Assuming that I can do a 3D first-person view (which I can't), I might go with a stealth mission to assassinate someone.  They're being assassinated because...you're from a rival political faction vying for dominance of, say, a post-nuclear-destruction Europe.

Hmm, let's imagine...Real Is Brown in full force.  Decaying buildings, and lots of urban exploration to find things.  Sneaking around to spy on people's actions and communications.  And a geiger counter in the corner so your character always has a feeling of unease, being very close to lots of scattered radiation sources.  One wrong step and even your suit won't protect you, and you start to feel dizzy and cough up blood...

...oh, this is when things go very wrong, I see.

> woman

> woman in menopause going crazy

> entire civilization of amazons

Well, this still has a chance of being non-shitty.  of course, I actually know where things will be going...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

If a thread suddenly becomes a liveblog, does it then have to be in the liveblogs category? :P

• edited 2012-02-20 19:39:32

> big army RTS + horror

That's ridiculously easy.  Your army, versus a zombie horde.  Your boss is a masterful necromancer, who spawns various types of undead creatures--typical zombies, fast zombies, exploding zombies, etc..  Defeat him by killing him or running him out of magical resources.

> zombie spider queen spawning zombies

Well, I got the zombie part right, but it seems they are actually taking the word "horror" seriously.

^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t348e24vDyA

Actually, I do.  Probably should keep it in the original category.

Speaking of which, this is a Media thread more than a General thread.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That's ridiculously easy.  Your army, versus a zombie horde.  Your boss is a masterful necromancer, who spawns various types of undead creatures--typical zombies, fast zombies, exploding zombies, etc..  Defeat him by killing him or running him out of magical resources.

That's not a horror game. Where's the horror?

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Ah, I've seen this video before.  I seriously cannot believe how misogynistic these guys are.

Also, seriously?

What were they thinking?

> racing + medieval europe

Okay, this...wait...horseback riding racing.

> violent FPS + kiddie animated E-rated game

> raptor Hitler

Oh my goodness, they're REALLY upping the ante when it comes to silliness.

Though I guess both carnivorous dinosaurs AND Nazis are, luckily for them, considered acceptable targets.