If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Malking" (AKA IJBMer in-jokes)

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The topic at hand was that there were very few female regulars, wasn't it? :V

• You can change. You can.

Like I said, regular was only poor wording of my own there. 

• edited 2012-02-19 18:09:51
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ I'm the annoying little brother of the forums?

...Kind of funny since I'm older than a chunk of the more mature posters...
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No, the topic I brought that up from was that people were like "lololol there's no wimmins".

I was referring to Forzare and INUH's posts, specifically. 

But I think that the complaint is not that there aren't women, but that there aren't any women arguing and bringing different points of views and opinions to the place, which is what the discussion is about in the first place. 

Also, it's been bugging me that the forum demographics are so homogeneous. What are we doing to scare away all the women?

• edited 2012-02-19 18:18:05
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    there aren't any women arguing and bringing different points of views and opinions to the place

Oh.

Well, I do agree with that.

:(

i argue with everyone

exception. rules. etc

1/4 of the women here argue stuff all the time! >:|

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>(I tend to argue out of sheer stubbornness though, so there's that.)

Hey me too, high five!

In any case, I kind of doubt the lack of new blood has anything to do with us being assholes and more we don't really provide anything that unique to draw people in. Oh look a forum where people bitch on the internet, often about Star Wars, video games, and anime. How novel.

• I think there's more females than that, guys. :/

• edited 2012-02-19 18:44:47
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

None that post enough to be considered regulars.

Also, high-five!

• I stay out the arguments because I come here to get away from people arguing and stuff at times.

Which might explain why I'm not here so much. But I do lurk in some of the threads that turn into arguments.

gahh now I feel all different because I don't argue

I really just come for some of the people. I like meeting and talking to new people though. As far as friends go I'm kinda already able to talk to the very few people I really really enjoy the company of outside of here, even though it doesn't happen that much, but sometimes I'm conflicted as to why I still go here. I don't feel like I fit in, I don't feel particularly interested in arguing, and I can talk to the friends I've made here outside of here, so. I don't know. Don't mind me, I lost track of whatever point I thought I was making.

• edited 2012-02-19 19:07:15
    Has friends besides tanks now

For girls, there's also CompassionateSadist, but I don't know if she counts as a regular, except in that we know who she is.

Do I intimidate anybody in certain conversations? 8D?

To be honest you kind of come off as like the annoying little brother of the forum. At least to me anyway.*

Lai is not the only person who feels like that. I know a few people who tend to bow out of an argument when Alex enters, not because Alex's posts are multiple paragraphs long, but because Alex is intelligent and it shows, and it kind of intimidates a lot of people who feel they aren't as smart as Alex is.

(I tend to argue out of sheer stubbornness though, so there's that.)

Hmm. I don't know how often I actually disagree with Alex, partly because he's more knowledgeable about whatever subject is at hand, and partly because I probably agree with him anyway, but if I were to come up against him, the wordiness of his posts would dissuade me from continuing participation.

I also argue out of stubbornness, sometimes. Then again, you already know that (you'll probably never convince me that characters are objectively more important than plot, since it's still ultimately an argument based on individual perceptions and emotional response. :P). But what I sometimes do (or what I'm pretty sure I've done at certain points) is latched onto a certain side, based on what sounds most logical at the time that I enter, and tested that side against opponents' arguments, to see if it holds up, seeing as how they often know more about the subject than I do. I feel like this is a pretty efficient way to better understand both sides and affirm a certain belief.

= Indication that I'm using this quote as my response, because lolquotestacking.

• edited 2012-02-19 19:22:28
    You can change. You can.

I admit I often follow on an argument I'm aware is circular because I like arguing. I sometimes even take positions I don't actually agree with in order to either perpetuate an argument or aggravate someone who I dislike. 

I stay out the arguments because I come here to get away from people arguing and stuff at times.

Understandable, but I'd say that discussions here are rather tame when they're not ultradramatic. Which is most of the time, these days.

but anyway, I do agree there's more to the place than discussion. Which is another reason discussions like these bother me, because they also come across as "Hey, guys, my interest should take priority over yours". 

I really just come for some of the people. I like meeting and talking to new people though. As far as friends go I'm kinda already able to talk to the very few people I really really enjoy the company of outside of here, even though it doesn't happen that much, but sometimes I'm conflicted as to why I still go here. I don't feel like I fit in, I don't feel particularly interested in arguing, and I can talk to the friends I've made here outside of here, so. I don't know. Don't mind me, I lost track of whatever point I thought I was making.

Because it provides a certain social configuration where you can talk to people like Malk and me that sometimes private chattering doesn't provide due to the general feeling of awkwardness that comes from those unless you're somewhat familiar with the other person, maybe?

Hmm. I don't know how often I actually disagree with Alex, partly because he's more knowledgeable about whatever subject is at hand, and partly because I probably agree with him anyway, but if I were to come up against him, the wordiness of his posts would dissuade me from continuing participation.

Honestly, while I do admit that Alex's quite smart, I wouldn't say he's particularly special. I mean, yeah, his posts are loooooooooooooong, but they're very readable, if a bit too redundant at times. 

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm used to argue with him.

I admit I often follow on an argument I'm aware is circular because I like arguing. I sometimes even take positions I don't actually agree with in order to either perpetuate an argument or aggravate someone who I dislike. 

i do that too

• edited 2012-02-19 19:38:36
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ I dunno. I just happen to agree with him a lot of the time and thus see no point in arguing, and the topics are topics that he's usually done more research on than me, so when I actually do read his posts (and I'll admit that I skim them or gloss over them a fair bit of the time), I can't really disagree with him.

It's more of a trend that I was seeing in the thread where, I felt, that people were somewhat overpraising him. --shrug--

Again, I think he's smart, but I think that if you are backing down from arguments because it's Alex, then let it be because you're lazy, but not because he's too smart, for there is nothing wrong with contradicting a smart person. If you're wrong, you learn. If you're right, he'll learn. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

Hey, I only brought him up because of something that actually happened.

And if I decide to back down (or, as is more likely, not hop in in the first place), I fully admit that it's because I'm not going to want to read through essays. No offense meant, Alex.

• >Because it provides a certain social configuration where you can talk to people like Malk and me that sometimes private chattering doesn't provide due to the general feeling of awkwardness that comes from those unless you're somewhat familiar with the other person, maybe?

Yeah, something like that. In some respects I'm still really shy even on the internet.

But actually I'd say my bigger "problem" is my osmosis with my writing. I'll get so into it that I'll feel and act different depending on what I happen to be writing at the time.

@Everest: Like I said, trend of the thread, not just you, etc. 

Yeah, something like that. In some respects I'm still really shy even on the internet.

It's understandable. It took me a long while before I started even approaching people on the forums outside of the forums themselves, and even then I still ask most people to not send me a private message without first asking me. Not here, though, because there's often no reason to PM in the first place

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>It's understandable. It took me a long while before I started even approaching people on the forums outside of the forums themselves

Stop being me. It's creepy.

you can't possibly me. You have a distinctive lack of swag.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

If you're wrong, you learn. If you're right, he'll learn. 

This.

I am not infallible. yet

• Now that I think about it, oversaturation of specific topics is mitigated on most forums through subforums. Though I doubt it would be as easily done here since it's based off Vanilla.

Part of the problem with the idea of subforums is, though, that the place would

1) lose part of its appeal (I've seen many say at one point or another say that part of the reason why they still visit IJBM is simply because everything is in one place. You don't have to make much use of the search engine.) 

2) If anything, the separation of topics would easily lead to the whole cliqueyfication that people seem to want to avoid here.

would advocate for a feature that allows us to customize our home page so we see the catgories we want and avoid the ones we are not interested in, so I could avoid most wonderful posts threads, for example.

• edited 2012-02-20 12:27:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

If you want that view, you can click "Categories" on the side of your screen.  That gives you http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/categories/all .  If you want an expanded view that shows the most recent few threads in each categorh, there's http://itjustbugsme.com/forums/categories/ .

> "about us" page

We have one right now; it's next to "Sign Out" at the top of the screen.  What do y'all think of it?

Not quite what I was going for there, Glenn. What I meant is a homepage where you can see threads from X, Y and Z category while not seeing A and B, where these are categories that the user does not find entertaining. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That sounds like the category view (which is pretty much the same as on most other forums), minus categories/subforums you don't want to see.  AFAIK I don't know of a forum that lets you do this, without also having you populate the list of threads you want to see by yourself (i.e. "subscribing" to threads).