If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Zelda Just Keeps Getting Worse. But It Isn’t Beyond Saving"

2»

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I still am pretty sad about the fact that Nintendo managed to turn an awesome character concept into the worst part of SS.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-16 16:00:11

Yeah.  I really, really wish Japan would cut it out with the Omochao types.

• I don't think anyone can deny Fi was annoying.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I loved TP's art style as well. I thought it was a really strong compromise between the animeesque and sometimes a little confrontational style of OoT and MM, and the more endearing style of WW. It was "real" enough to show some of the rough-around-the-edges elements of Hyrule without robbing it of its fairy tale value. 

Agreed on it being the best use of the overworld. The addition of hoseback sword combat was great, too, even if the jousts were a little roughly hewn. For all the strength of SS's Loftwing segments, I don't think they quite matched the impact of riding Epona into battle with high-speed chases and the like. Some element of the Epona combats really tapped into what made the speeder and dogfight parts of the Star Wars movies so thrilling. 

Plus, learning the secret sword techniques really appealed to me for obvious reasons. Skyward Sword had the whole strike compass thing, but it didn't make combat a matter of choice, technique or tactics so much as it made combat a matter of calculation. That is, you were meant to identify an opening in an adversary's defenses and exploit it. This is not really accurate to the real thing, where you can do that, but more often manipulate the fight to create openings. TP succeeded at this with much more limited controls via its special techniques. Plus, the Mortal Draw was just really cool. 

Loved the whole "team of heroes" theme the game ends up taking on as well.

SS was great, but I think it threw out a lot of the things TP really did well. The innovation in a lot of aspects was appreciated, as was the increase in difficulty, but I don't see any particular reason some elements were thrown out. Stuff like particular special moves and mounted combat that brought a great degree of variance to general action sequences. In SS, once you know what signs to look for, it's generally a matter of choosing a single correct strike -- much less an emergent system and more a system where combat is a linear puzzle with few moves. 

SS had the bestest puzzles, though. Possibly the bestest Zelda characterisation, too. Although I preferred Midna as a companion, and it still doesn't touch MM for side-character characterisation. For that matter, TP probably had me caring about the side characters more, too. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Understated would mean that the art scheme was understated, which it wasn't. The wild west part was amusing but that was only in small parts of the game. Pushing this frontiersman aspect of TP might have made it a more memorable game, but it just resulted the world of light looking dull and lifeless.

And I can't see how anyone could say this:

Looks better than this:

Or even this:

The worlds of OoT, WW, and SS are vibrant and colorful. They're full of variation. The most alive TP feels is when you go into the shadow realm or the snowy mountains.

>It just means you have a more rough'n'tumble Link 

Wat. Okay seriously. This makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

I just took another look at that, and...holy shit, those proportions are insane.

Yeah, I tried to replay TP after I finished Skyward Sword and the character designs just killed it for me.

>Agreed on it being the best use of the overworld. The addition of hoseback sword combat was great, too, even if the jousts were a little roughly hewn. For all the strength of SS's Loftwing segments, I don't think they quite matched the impact of riding Epona into battle with high-speed chases and the like. Some element of the Epona combats really tapped into what made the speeder and dogfight parts of the Star Wars movies so thrilling. 

I think there was good to be had in the fights, but they lacked a lot of polish and often felt rather slow to me. I think the loftwing was a lot more polished than Epona though I'll agree that they didn't capitalize on it enough. (The dragon bossfight was amazing though) I found the overworld rather unremarkable, especially in contrast to how amazing it feels to sail through the sea or the air. WW and SS have a unique travel method that makes them memorable. While TP's isn't bad I can't really recall enjoy just roaming around like I did in the other two.

I want to stress that TP is by no means not a great game. It just strongly lacks in flavor, and oddly in level design which might be because it had the most dungeons actually.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-16 16:35:10

vibrant and colorful. They're full of variation.

Insofar as there's variance in being continually inundated with bright colors.  Don't get me wrong, the other games had a specific tone they were going for and pulled it off beautifully, but I wouldn't exactly call it variation in anything more than a strict RGB-distance sense -- there is such a thing as being monotonously vibrant and colorful.  That goes triple for Wind Waker, where your vibrant variation boiled down to 85% water and beaches, 10% island people and more island people, and 5% "else".

Oh and surprise, real people can be and often are kinda ugly (even if they should have longer legs for that torso size and Malo was...Malo.  Certainly it wasn't without its flaws).

Wat. Okay seriously. This makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

You know exactly what it means.  Zelda games are on the far, far end of elegant, escapist fairytale land, and Link is something out of a picture book -- and again, it completely suits what they're going for on those occasions.

This time, he was out of a backwater ranch and threw goats around.  Hell, the fact that he didn't have a magic meter should tell you something.

Hell, the fact that he didn't have a magic meter should tell you something.

FWIW, that was a really last-minute decision. To the point that it's still possible to obtain a potion that refills your magic meter.

• True.  It's also on the back of the box IIRC.

• edited 2012-02-16 16:36:08
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^^ I'd even disagree with that. TP's flavour is, if anything, unfocused. You have a Celtic fantasy forest, medieval cowboys and Indians, Renaissance academics, a sky fortress that reminds me of Bomberman of all things and animal duality themes. There's certainly no lack of flavour -- but there might be too much spread too far. 

• edited 2012-02-16 16:39:35
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>This time, he was out of a backwater ranch.  Hell, the fact that he didn't have a magic meter should tell you something.

So? Skyward Sword Zelda doesn't have a magic meter either. The ranch more said to me 'simple farmboy' a la Luke Skywalker who has a destiny thrust on him rather than a cowboy.

> there is such a thing as being monotonously vibrant and colorful.  That goes triple for Wind Waker, where your vibrant variation boiled down to 85% water and beaches, 10% island people and more island people, and 5% "else".

Except that's not true at all. The big islands had unique looks and even small islands had specific color schemes often. The character designs were simple but unique and you never confused any character with another (which I can't say for those kids in TP) 

^That's actually a good point. I really though the few Wild west points were the most memorable bits of TP. Maybe if they pushed that like WW pushed the pirate-style it'd look better in my mind.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Come to think of it, TP is very very Star Wars in tone... 

Might also be why I don't really like it... =\

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-16 17:30:14

Of course it says "farmboy."  That's he was.  Hell, he's one of the only two or so versions that actually had a job instead of being some random blond tween who got abducted by the destiny van.

The big islands had unique looks and even small islands had specific color schemes often.

The dungeons themselves, yes.  Everything else, not so much.  I just looked through the wikia to be sure: you have grass, sand, and either gray or brown rocks with lighter brown crags.  That's a pallette of, like, five colors and two textures.  Give or take some random spires, pirate ships, and cannon nests.  That describes pretty much everything aboveground except Windfall, Forsaken Fortress, the Deku Tree, and the Tower, and you spend about ten seconds outside two of those.

If anything it's a very convincing exercise in minimalism.

which I can't say for those kids in TP

The kids you saw all of, like, twice?  They weren't relevant characters compared to the pirates -- the closest analogue would be random throwaway Kokiri.  Ilia and Malo were about the only ones that popped up more than once after you left home.  And you sure as hell weren't forgetting Malo...

Can't sleep, Malo will eat me.  Can't sleep, Malo will eat me.

Not arguing on should have pushed Wild West a bit more.  Get some painted canyons and Scottsbluff in there.  That would've been awesome.  There's some neat shit in the badlands.