If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"What does not kill me makes me stronger"

edited 2012-01-23 12:26:57 in Philosophy

Like syphilis, eh, Friedrich?

Comments

• edited 2012-01-23 12:29:41
    Glaives are better.

Shit.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

What does not kill you simply does not kill you.

• Killing you usually doesn't make you stronger.

• You can change. You can.

the idea is that ypu learn from experiences and improve because of them, isn't it?

• Yes - even bad experiences. But there's no logical reason for saying that every bad experience will necessarily improve you.

Nietzsche wasn't too worried about logic though - he was more bothered about promoting what he saw as life-enhancing attitudes, even if they were, at heart, bullshit. He's the Rule of Cool of philosophers, which is one reason people still read him. If Nietzsche were an item of clothing, he'd be sunglasses - a pain to wear, but they look cool. 

I always considered him more of a prose poet than a philosopher.

• Hence why people still read him and why he's still thought of as cool. He wrote well.

• What does not kill you only makes you stronger if you happen to get bit by a radioactive genetically engineered spider.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Offtopic:I remember seeing an ad for some horror movie when I was a kid that included the phrase "but that which didn't kill them...only made them more deadlier."

And it stuck with me because I could never understand how nobody who worked on that commercial noticed the problem there.

• I am the more deadliest!

• But you never had any to begin with.

More deadlier than a black widow, more eviller than Satan.

• And my grammar is more worseter than any of you.

It's the most worsetest!

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

my favourite show

most deadliest warrior

^IwillnotgointofullrantmodeaboutwhatbullshitthatshowisIwillnotgointofullrantmodeaboutwhatbullshitthatshowis

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Where is the Doomsday reference?

• @Malkavian go into full rant mode about what bullshit that show is.

I'll join you, and it shall be good times.

• edited 2012-01-28 13:52:28
    No rainbow star
    What's wrong with that show?

Edit: Wait, is there both a show called Most Deadliest Warrior and a show called Deadliest Warrior or did I miss something?

Most Deadliest Warrior is just a mock name for Deadliest Warrior.

It sucks because it's unscientific and historically inaccurate. It's amusing for all that, though.

I'll give my rant when I'm not on a phone.

Also, in reference to the OP:

"What is already dead may never die."

• edited 2012-01-28 18:16:18
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.

And with stramge eons even death may die.
  • edited 2012-01-28 21:14:55
    No rainbow star
    I really want to see the rants now!

Okay, where do I start.

The Deadliest Warrior has a incredibly stupid premise. See, every now and then I get into an argument with this guy at the comic shop because he totally insists Deathstroke the Terminator could totally take on the Justice League and it gets into an argument of power structures, abilities and screaming 'I DON'T CARE WHAT GEOFF JOHNS WROTE THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.'

That's basically what Deadliest Warrior is, except with actual historical people. Much like the arguments I have with my friend, things like Rule of Cool come into play except we're dealing with historical figures so that's bullshit. There's a lot of poor research on the subject and missing the point of a lot of what made certain fighters so fearsome. An example would be like their use of the Spartans and the ninja in one-on-one fights. Spartans were fearsome because of their at-the-time impressive tactics and ninja were guerilla warriors, not kung fu masters.

The pirate episode, as someone who thinks (Errol Flyyn-style anyways) pirates are pretty damn boss, really bugged me as one of the hosts declared that pirates were noble because they stuck to democracy. Ignoring the fact that it was tyranny of the majority and brute force, ignoring that they raped and murdered across the high seas, at least they gave everyone a voice!

Also, the lack of common sense shown by the hosts is unbelievable. Yes, a lasso can kill you you twits. Have you never seen a western? Or taken a physics lesson?

Really, a show about me arguing with my buddies over comic characters would win actually make for a much better show. 

In fact, you know what Alex? Let's do this.

DEADLIEST FICTIONAL WARRIOR!

FIRST EPISODE: JEDI KNIGHT VS. GREEN LANTERN!

I'll get you to argue for the Jedi and get a pal I know who really likes GL and we can get someone who can do flash to make an animated fight.

WHO!

IS!

DEADLIEST!

>MFW Malk didn't consider me.

It's OK. it's not as if I wanted to be in your show or anything ;_;

You can totally be in the 'Magnificent Seven Vs. The Dirty Dozen' episode.

baka malk, can't you read

hooray

I AM SO ON THIS WHEN I GET HOME

^^If I make a note every time you tsun-tsun I won't get a word in edgewise.

• No rainbow star
    Yay, The Deadliest Warrior is leading to something awesome! *Kermit Arm Waggle*