If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

There's Going To Be A Referendum In 2014 On Scottish Independence

edited 2012-01-12 04:18:03 in General

I worry that it'll be ineffective, even if the majority of Scots vote for independence, I think Westminster will just Veto it. 

Still I can hope...because now, more than ever, I want to be separated from Britain. 

Comments

• Why?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Do it the traditional way.

You know, with warpaint and claymores and stuff. That seemed to work pretty good for hundreds of years at a time.

In any case, I kind of understand where Conductor's coming from. The UK has a shitload of problems right now, and Scotland might save itself some trouble by having a weaker economic and social connect to England.

• Alex, one of these days you're going to have to acquaint yourself with the cold hard fact that not every problem can be solved with swords. 

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with how things are going over there, but don't know if splitting the party will do much for anyone at this point considering how interconnected economies are nowadays. I dunno how close a comparison can be made, but states like Texas make noises about secession periodically, and no one with any real sway takes it seriously for a lot of reasons. Maybe a better parallel are the U.S. territories or whatever they're called. I think they regularly have the option to vote themselves into statehood, but they never do, I think usually more because there's some technicality that allows them to have some marginal economic benefit if they don't than because there's any real worry that being closer to the U.S. will get their shit completely out of order.

• edited 2012-01-12 05:37:48
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alex, one of these days you're going to have to acquaint yourself with the cold hard fact that not every problem can be solved with swords.

So the lights in my room were out one day, right, and I hadn't replaced them yet.

I was doing a bit of traning in my room. By chance, I accidentally scraped the ceiling with my training sword.

The lights turned back on.

And that's my story of how swordsmanship solved one of my technical issues.

• Champion of the Whales

Actually, Westminster wouldn't stand in the way of the Scots having independence. In fact, as an Englishman, I welcome the vote because frankly, its getting sickening when your partner keeps threatening a divorce and doesn't act on it

• edited 2012-01-12 06:49:23

Gelzo: Essentially a lot of Scottish people, including the party that runs certain aspects of Scotland, are frustrated that Westminster parliament keeps making big decisions that affect the whole of the UK despite the fact that the UK parliament is majorly influenced by English politicians and voters. Essentially, we in Scotland have little to no say in major issues that affect us. Now, we do have our own parliament which deals with certain issues (transport and education mostly) but other than that, we have to take the same laws as the rest of the UK.

Wale: Westminster would stand in the way because...that's what they're doing now...the Tory party tried to force the Referendum earlier than the SNPs planned 2014 timetable (obviously, they failed), Cameron also wants to give the entire UK a say in the vote. So while Westminster wont out right stop Scottish independence, the Tories are trying every trick they can to sway the vote.

So I'd say a better metaphor is more "A wife really wants to leave her husband but he keeps trying to make it as difficult as he can for her to finally go".

Alex: I'm a strong believer that any problem can be solved with any solution, you just need to work at it ;D

• Champion of the Whales

TheConductor: So we can't decide on the future of our country?

Thats a tad hypocritical to be honest.

• Is that situation any different from any other part of the UK? Are the political interests of Scotland significantly different?

• Champion of the Whales

Well, Nationalism is only strong in Scotland because the Act of Union kept all the trappings of state. So in effect, Scotland was a state within the United Kingdom

• Whale: Not when you consider it from the point of view of nationalists. Their point being that it ISN'T your country. 

Gelzo: For the longest time, not really. But recently England as taken a swing towards more right wing policies while Scotland remains, mostly, in the left.

• Champion of the Whales

The Conductor, the state of the Union is being decided, I think that affects my country.

• Now I'm picturing what things would look like if red states and blue states split into two countries.

I don't think I'd like to see what would happen.

• edited 2012-01-12 07:33:19

Whale: It is very unlikely that the Union would crumble. The SNP still wants to have the Queen as...the Queen. We just want more autonomy.

Scotland has certain resources that Britain needs (oil, water, soldiers) and Britain has resources that Scotland needs (money), if Scotland gains independence there will have to be an alliance between the two countries. 

Unless Britain votes the same way as Scotland, it can only lead to resentment. 

If Britain votes for us to leave but we vote to stay, you're left with a large group of people feeling unwanted and hated.

If we vote to leave but Britain votes for us to stay, you're left with a large group of people being forced into a union that they don't want and I can honestly see this ending in civil war.

• a little muffled

So, Scotland is the Quebec of the UK, huh? Well, you guys have a cooler accent at least.

• Glaives are better.

I wrote an essay about this while I was in Scotland. The Scots didn't lynch me, so I think that they're okay with people advocating against secession, so long as you have a good argument.

• Champion of the Whales

Hmm, it seems that more English people want Scotland to be independent than Scottish people.

• So, Scotland is the Quebec of the UK, huh? Well, you guys have a cooler accent at least.

But our swears are better.