If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"ABLEIST!"

Comments

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    Because people feel uncomfortable discussing privilege, thus use this (admittedly wonderful) distraction as a silencing tactic. 

FWIW I didn't actually intend for the discussion to derail like this. The game is at least a month or two old, I'd figured that everyone here had already heard about it.

To contribute to the discussion, it's hard to discuss whether or not a game is offensive to you in an ableist way when you, yourself, are not disabled in some way. There's obviously going to be some small creep factor in any dating sim, no matter how small, and so I think a lot of people consider the game to be fetishizing or trivializing those with disabilities, rather than using them as equals. That's the feeling you're obviously going to get when the main draw factor of your game is "Look! Disabled people!" Now whether the game is actually ableist or not, I can't say, since I've never seen it, but I can certainly understand why some would think so.
  • No rainbow star
    You know, this thread is making me wonder how much of me is me and how much is my meds

Would I still be the same, albeit more easily distracted, without my meds, or would I be a completely different person?

I would go off my meds for a few months as an experiment, but what if I end up so out of it that... Well, something =/
  • FWIW, I wasn't trying to pigeonhole anyone as an ableist for the turn the discussion took.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    FWIW, I wasn't trying to pigeonhole anyone as an ableist for the turn the discussion took.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    where is this pigeon dating sim game i want it nao

pigeons!  pidgins!  i want my pidge to lay golden droppings for easter
  • I don't know what the hell the rest of this thread is about but my original beef was that it's just suddenly seemed to catch on, so people who never even heard the word before are throwing it around as a go-to insult in various arguments, cheapening its original meaning.
  • Any particular examples?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I've never heard Ableist used in a context that wasn't appropriate.

There was a hilarious use of the term on this board, but it wasn't unimportant.
  • Wait can everyone shut the hell up about cripples for a minute and link me to that sweet pigeon game
  • a little muffled
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Great derail, or greatest derail?
  • You can change. You can.
    well, do bears shit in the woods, glenn
  • edited 2012-01-09 14:08:36
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

I'm not actually disabled myself, but I go to a vocational training unit for disabled people (and the only explanation I can give for that is that the Federal Employment Office does stuff I don't really get), so I think I can judge this somewhat reliably (and even if I were disabled, I could only talk as an individual person).

But I see pretty much no issue with Katawa Shoujo. It's so incredibly inoffensive, even if I didn't know about it's roots I would be surprised how tasteful the subject matter is handled. So far, I didn't really see anything that could even be considered fetishization of disabilities. At least not intentional. The thouht that it has sexual content is rather odd actually (well, I haven't seen any of that sort, so I can't judge it yet). And the characters aren't defined by them, but by their personalities, which may not be exactly uncliche, but actually handled well.

At most, the individual disabilites are an issue with the main character, who has a hard time getting used to it. That actually reminds me a lot of myself, when I came here for the first time. While it's not visible with most people, there are still enough, whose disabilities are obvious, whether it's because they rely on a wheelchair, walk in a strange way or are missing a good part of an arm. It took quite a while to get used it.

Really, the only people I can see getting offended by KS are people who think that disabled people are subhuman scum.

Also, I don't find that pigeon-derail-crap funny and try hard to ignore it.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^Fun times, fun times. >_<
  • Glaives are better.

I don't understand the "KS is offensive" crowd either. I'm not terribly into visual novels or dating sims - although I do love the Mass Effect series - but isn't it kind of, well, sweet that two people could fall in love, even if they're disfigured? Isn't it nice to think that somewhere out there there's someone who finds you beautiful even though you don't have all your limbs, or you look like Anakin Skywalker?

• probably human

^

Wait, what does Mass Effect have to do with visual novels/dating sims? 

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

I think he refers to the romance options.

• Of course, Katawa Shoujo could have stood to market itself better. Especially since the title roughly translates to 'Gimp Girls'.

• edited 2012-01-09 16:28:46
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^They didn't have a choice. They were working from a premise and title someone had made as a joke/parody.

• Ever heard of a working title?

• edited 2012-01-09 16:37:58
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

But the whole point of the project was making a good VN out of a horrible idea someone had come up with long before that as a joke. The title wasn't suggested by any of the devs. Neither was the premise or the design of most of the cast.

• Sure, but regardless of who came up with it, a game called 'Katawa Shoujo' is going to get some funny looks, for much the same reason as a book on interracial relations entitled 'Nigger Lovers'.

I realise that the game itself tries to be sensitive, but first impressions are important, too.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

True.

Though marketing doesn't really matter for this, since they aren't actually making money on it.

• Okay so I switched the thingies it told me to switch but it's still Japanese what am I doing wrong

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

bob

are you actually playing the pidgeon dating sim

• Well, I'm trying but I can't get it to stop Japanesing on me. >:|

• Also it's spelled "pigeon"

• Glaives are better.

Me thought it was pidgin.

• No rainbow star
    ^ *Ba-dum-TSH!*