If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"No, I meant *real* fencing."

edited 2011-12-29 00:31:41 in Meatspace
One foot in front of the other, every day.
I know people don't mean it, but it irks me that sport fencing is considered the "real" variant. I find it trivialising towards the combat art I study.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I say it the other way around, i.e. "no, I mean the sport."
  • Perhaps people would take you more seriously if you carried your sword on your back at all times and had a vertical scar across the face!
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The law doesn't permit me to carry a sword openly.

You may, however, be onto something with that scar idea. If anyone asks, I got it in Japan.

Fighting Yakuza samurai.

Yakuza samurai bears.
  • There's actually someone who I work with who is missing some fingers.

So our boss at the time joked that it was because he was working for the Yakuza.

• Glaives are better.
    Oh, you use a... katana.

How provincial. 
    Actually, a longsword.
  • Glaives are better.
    Aha. You have earned my approval.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    He practices fencing, why on earth would he use a Katana?

What is your sword made of?
    I use both plastic wasters (sword "emulators" designed to mimic the balance of the real thing) and (blunt) steel.

All swordsmanship is, essentially, fencing. No matter the style or whether it's a sport or a legitimate art. "Fencing", in fact, comes from the German "fechten", literally "fighting". Except at the time, fechten meant fighting with any weapon or no weapon -- it was a catch-all word for all fighting styles with any or no tools. 
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    That only works in english though,

Fencing in spanish is esgrima derived from the verb form esgrimir which comes from provenzal escremir (to practice fencing).
  • They're somethin' else.
    As of recent, me and friends bought what we can only describe as "stress swords"

I believe these are the ones