If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Institute for Global Labour and Human Rights report on sweatshop conditions in toy factory

edited 2011-12-22 20:04:57 in Meatspace

A summary and the report itself can be read here.

Holidays by Hasbro: Transformers from Hell

• Workers housed in filthy, over-crowded dorms, infested with rats and
    bed bugs.  Workers report they cannot sleep at night from the bed bug
    bites.
  • Workers describe factory food as "Pretty much like swine food."
  • Workers allowed less than 9 minutes to assemble each Hasbro Transformer, for which they are paid 17 cents.
  • "We are drenched in sweat," workers say.  Factory temperatures soar to 104 degrees F in summer.
  • During peak season, workers toil 12-hour shifts, seven days a week, while earning a take-home wage of just 92 cents an hour.
  • Workers undergo three body-searches each day, are not permitted to
    talk or lift their heads to look around, and need permission to use the
    bathroom.
  • Hasbro is open to the hiring of 14 and 15-year-olds on a "case-by-case basis."
  • Workers in the spray paint department fear they are being exposed to dangerous solvents.
  • There are no fire drills and some emergency exits are locked.
  • During the slow season, hundreds of workers are fired under false
    charges so management does not have to pay their legal severance.
  • Workers are cheated of paid sick leave and maternity leave.
  • Workers describe their work as mindless, miserable, constantly monotonous, yet furious and exhausting. 
Okay, first, yes, it's not all that surprising that this kind of thing happens. There's another report from the same source a few years ago, although detailing different factories. But, it's not all too common to have such a detailed report get out. The full report is over 30 pages long, and it only details inhumane conditions in one factory.

In case anybody's wondering, the report seems to be legit. Despite how the writer of the report is not known for credibility (see post #23), this time he has photos as evidence.

The report itself rather bugs me, though. The factory's workers are referred to as "Hasbro's workers" as if they actually own the factory.

If you look at the report itself, the factory is mentioned to make toys for other companies. So, it's not Hasbro's factory, but this is not to say that they are free from blame. They do business with it, and should follow ethics and well, the law. The conditions the workers are forced to work in even violate Chinese law.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    ...Wow, I didn't think it was possible to have such crappy conditions that it violates Chinese law
  • Same here. That is quite horrid.
  • Physically makes me ill.

But hey, that's capitalism for you. 
  • That's terrible....D;
  • ^^ Well, more specifically, it's the kind of bottom feeder economics where instead of giving their employees proper training or bearable conditions to make them work more efficiently, they just harass them harder.
  • edited 2011-12-22 08:47:54
    Diet NEET
    No suprises there, but I love how the report ribs on the fact that the work conditions clash with the morals propagated by the Transformers franchise. Shame they didn't go after MLP, the report would have looked hilarious and the shitstorm would be to die for.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ My Little Pony: Slavery is Magic?
  • edited 2011-12-22 08:56:03
    Diet NEET
    "Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned how outsourcing your production overseas allows you to circumvent such pesky things as labour laws and decent wages. Though griffin claws are less delicate than unicorn magic in the spray-painting of crappy recolours, a motivational whipping more than compensates for this inconvenience. Although the toxic fumes leave us with an enormous turnover rate in employees, there are always more desperate proles that eagerly replace those who've gone on an unpermitted sick leave to the hereafter.

Your Faithful CEO,
    Twilight Sparkle"
  • edited 2011-12-22 10:17:27
    "Physically makes me ill.

But hey, that's capitalism for you."

It's also the consumers' fault because they only want more and more without consideration for what goes into making those products. Though the media tends to manufacture that tendency.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Becomes hard eventually

Say you decide to make gifts for people, for example, so you can avoid sweatshops

So who makes the base materials you're using...?
  • edited 2011-12-22 10:33:37
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ I think that's part of the result of specialization; if you as a consumer just want a toy and don't want to think about anything else having to do with it, then this stuff can happen.
  • ^^

Key phrase: "without consideration for what goes into making those products."

If you're thinking about who's making the base materials, it's a step in the right direction. That leads you to be more informed when making purchases.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The problem with that is that people have finite brainpower-time.  Some people just don't care to take the time to think of that.
  • Yup, not really caring is the major problem.
  • edited 2011-12-22 12:13:49
    Hasbro's "Global Business ethics Principle", plus some other stuff.

In case anybody's interested, you can send an email at Hasbro's corporate social responsibilities address, csr@hasbro.com or use the form at http://hasbro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/hasbro.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

It might help. A few people in the Transformers fandom have sent emails, and at least a couple of them received some form of response.

No suprises there, but I love how the report ribs on the fact that the
    work conditions clash with the morals propagated by the Transformers
    franchise. Shame they didn't go after MLP, the report would have looked
    hilarious and the shitstorm would be to die for.

Well, considering how this is just one of many factories Hasbro contracts with, it's possible that at least one MLP factory is like that too, unsettling as that sounds.
  • Depressing though this may be, an awful lot of consumer goods nowadays are produced just this way, not just toys. If you're that bothered you can look out for Fairtrade and similar schemes, or make an effort to only buy stuff made in countries with decent records on workers' rights.

Having said all that, it's very hard to make the effort when you're shopping every day for the basic necessities of life (on the other hand, shopping for toys isn't something most people do all the time, so it's probably easier to consider this).

I must also add that the dodgy conditions they're made in is yet another reason why adults shouldn't, in general, buy Transformers or My Little Pony dolls. 

• edited 2011-12-22 12:47:02
    ^ Well, if one looks at it that way, you should discourage buying any non-necessity with "Made in China" on it. Not just kids' toys, but any luxury items, like music players, gaming consoles, fashion items, and so on and so forth.
  • No rainbow star
    I wonder if anyone justifies it with, "Well, at least they HAVE a job, and if I stop buying the product, then they won't even have that!" ?
  • I wonder what a significant enough decrease in sales would force them to do to lower production costs...
  • ^^Loads of people actually. To be fair, sweatshop labour is relatively benign compared to the other jobs in poorer nations. Relatively.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-22 14:50:50
    The conditions the workers are forced to work in even violate Chinese law.

That's...really not that uncommon.  Knowing China I'm inclined to assume it as the general rule rather than the occasional exception.
  • edited 2011-12-22 18:26:20
    Somebody pointed out that the article is by Charles Kernaghan. As in, this guy:

The human rights activist who claims Kardashian clothing
    items are made by child slaves in China just told TMZ ... he's never
    actually been to the factory where the Kardashian gear is made.
    Charles Kernaghan -- the head of the Institute for Global Labor and Human Rights -- called in to "TMZ Live"
    today and said because he's been investigating factories in China for
    years ... he feels comfortable ASSUMING the place is a sweat shop
    I am not sure what that means for the report itself, though.
  • edited 2011-12-23 19:28:52
    Hasbro has released a response to the report.

Hasbro takes all claims involving working conditions very seriously, and
    we are immediately investigating. The Company has a strong track record
    and has had long-standing policies and processes in place for years to
    help ensure good working conditions, including health and safety, at
    factories making our products.  We strive to conduct business throughout
    our supply chain in accordance with the highest ethical standards, and
    we utilize not only ICTI– but also our own on-the-ground workforce– to
    monitor social compliance.  For more information about Hasbro’s
    comprehensive corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities,
    including more detail regarding Hasbro’s policies and practices related
    to ethical product manufacturing, please visit 
    Hasbro.com/csr.

They at least care how this case is giving them bad PR.
  • edited 2011-12-29 11:45:26
    Apparently, there was something else that actually slipped under the radar for quite a while. See the thing here dated December 22nd. Basically, Hasbro said "don't believe them, believe us!". Unconvincing? Yeah.