If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM - is it in decline?

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    We didn't know who he was until he made his post on the introductions thread.
  • Ah, ok, that makes more sense then.

I think that the relationship was probably doomed from the start given their not so warm welcome, but I won't belabor the point.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, if he hadn't come in and said "Hi, I'm a dramamagnet that no one likes :D" in his very first post, he might still be here to cause big trouble down the line.
  • Wait, he did? I thought he basically just said who he was on TV Tropes and something about just waking up. (Or am I taking your post too literally?)
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    He said that he was Love Happiness on TvT, who is a very... infamous poster.
  • edited 2011-12-19 16:28:31
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I'd only heard of him before, so I had no idea how rude he was; I felt like he was actively looking for drama. I think he would have done a lot more harm if we hadn't preemptively permabanned him.

Reception wasn't generally warm, but I think he overreacted to plenty of matter-of-fact statements.
    Preemptively? He posted a picture of a penis.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I feel like we would have let him off with a monthban not too long ago. Part of the reason Vivi was permabanned (or so I thought) was because it was his third (fourth, really) offense.

We've tightened up lately.
    Eh, maybe.

To me, a large part of it is the extent to which I think someone's behavior would be expected to change if readmitted.
    Didn't stop us from giving Chagen and Tnu two more chances.
    Chagen was changing, just not quickly enough. Tnu...well, I have less patience for him than anyone else on the mod team does, as far as I can tell, so I dunno.
  • You can change. You can.
    He said that he was Love Happiness on TvT, who is a very... infamous poster.

Not defending LH here, but the fact that we were predisposed to hate him is something that I find lamentable. 

I do think he deserved that ban, mind you. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Then he shouldn't have been dumb so that we were predisposed to dislike him, really
    ^^ If it hasn't been a couple months since the person did what made him infamous (and I presume he didn't start improving acceptably a couple months ago), it can be expected that their behavior will mimic their previous behavior. That's how I see it.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Yeah, I'm with Everest here. If LH ended up not being a problem this whole thing would have been avoided.

Also, like I said, I like the board being calm and quiet. New blood isn't a bad idea but it's not a huge issue for me.
  • I don't know very much about Love Hapiness. All I remember of him is when he sent me a PM of dancing shotas for no reason. I had never even talked to him before.
    ...Huh.
  • Unfortunately, I think it was deleted since he was banned. I still have my response:

"...Okay."
  • You can change. You can.
    I remember that. Good times.
    Oh, yeah, I remember hearing about that. Everyone got one but me.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^I didn't get one either.

I guess I should be glad I'm off his radar.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Nor me.
    I didn't get one either.

I guess I should be glad I'm off his radar.
  • edited 2011-12-19 22:24:58

(nevermind, this post was stupid)

• No rainbow star
    I never got a pm D:
    ^^You keep doing that. You shouldn't. The post wasn't stupid.
  • edited 2011-12-20 07:34:54
    (I guess I lied about not belaboring the point, but this seems like as good a place as any to speak our minds.)

My issue is that I found the way we as a community handled the whole Love Happiness situation to be distasteful. From negative comments on the Activity page, to trashing him for not knowing what thread to post in, to Cygan making a show of leaving while he was here (which, whether intended or not served to further poison the well by giving others even greater reason to want LH gone), to mods publicly declaring that they're watching him closely and waiting for a reason to ban him.

Again, I'm not saying that LH would have been a good fit here, or that he shouldn't have been banned. I honestly didn't care much for him on TVTropes proper when he was there. I'm just saying that we as a community should be mature enough to give any new members at the very least a neutral starting point when they join here. If we want this to be a place that can grow into an inclusive, non-cliquey environment, I think this is a necessity.
  • The problem was, we all knew him from TVTropes in advance, where he was a problem poster in much the same vein as Chagen and Tnu. While the negative comments were unnecessary, the mods publicly declaring they're watching him closely was good sport, since it sent out the signal to behave himself on the hand and assured other people that much knew who he was.

In an ideal world, he would mend his behaviour and the rest would lay off him safe in the knowledge that mods wouldn't have repeated the endless cycle of tempbans for people who should really get off the computer and onto a therapist's couch. But meh, too late for that now.
  • edited 2011-12-20 08:00:52
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^^ Conversely, I think there ought to be an evaluation of someone's circumstances when they apply, should they have any prior circumstances, and if it hasn't been a certain amount of time since the last ban they've received from a forum (assuming they've been banned already), they shouldn't be allowed here, either, depending on whether or not their ban was justified in our eyes, since that indicates that they have problems interacting in an acceptable fashion that they probably haven't overcome yet.

If they merely have a reputation, but haven't done anything ban-worthy, then I wouldn't have a problem letting them in unless they're really bad and we think they should have been banned. A ban implies that they've crossed at least one very major line.

Implementation of this would be a pain in the ass, though, especially since we mostly get tropers anyway and know if they've done anything wrong (because it takes a lot to get banned from TVTropes).
  • edited 2011-12-20 08:04:24
    You can change. You can.
    The thing is, I agree with both of you. But I think the sniping and attacking of LH might have even exarcebated his behaviour and led to the ban. 

I don't like the guy. I really don't. He's too immature, selfish and so many things I dislike on people that I honestly think that God made him just for me to hate him. 

But the fact is, what if another person applies and just because we didn't like him back in the day, we start doing this thing again? We claim to want new people here, but the way we treat new people is not exactly spectacular. 

I would say that from the very beginning, we shouldn't have admitted him in. Or banned him on sight. There's simply no point in keeping him around if our attitude was gonna be "Let's keep him around till we ban him" which was our implicit goal from the very beginning.