If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Literally"

edited 2011-12-15 10:03:02 in General
Kichigai birthday!!
Remember,in the Simpson's Poochie episode, that Itchy and Scratchy writer who said that words like "dynamic" are only used by idiots who try to sound smart? "Literally" is going that way too.

Nowadays,you see people,both in the Internet and in real life,who will say things like "That movie was literally shit". They've turned a word that had a perfect meaning and way of being used into a generic emphasis word.

(Why do I care so much about this anyway?)

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    This literally annoys me too.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Fuck dat shit

in the face.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Most of the time when I hear the word these days, it's to point out how often it's misused.
  • Maybe you're only paying attention in those cases. It's such a common thing that it's easy for the misuses to be neglected.

Though I do instinctively react whenever someone misuses the word "proof".

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    How can it be misused?
  • Formal education in terms of language can be a problem. It gives people the sense that words and language have power over them. They think that if they (or someone else) misuses language in some way that they must have something wrong with them. That words are some how sacred.

They aren't. We shouldn't let language control us, WE should control IT! Several words that sound the same and are spelled different are stupid, being afraid of words like cunt and fuck is stupid.

Language is supposed to be a tool to help us communicate, not a creed that we devote our lives to.
    It can be said the same of economy, but people love it anyways. And honestly, I prefer a perfectly groomed language rather than the fucking mess that is english. And if you are so forward with cunt and fuck, what are your thoughts on nigger, chink, guido and the like?
  • You can change. You can.
    How can it be misused?

These days, literally is used as a way of hyperbole rather than its...literal meaning.
  • Roughly the same, but breaking down the barriers with words like nigger ect is going to be harder and despite my views I don't use them because time and a place and that.
    I meant proof, context, man, context.
  • The worst part is that the word doesn't really have any alternative or equivalent. If you need people to be sure you mean something literally, you have to go on to explain that "yes, I am using literal in the correct sense of the term."
  • a little muffled
    "Literally. I mean, literally literally."
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-12-15 22:46:14
    You know what's worse?  When people try to use it as hyperbole, but misspell it as "literately" every single time.
  • ^ Somehow, "literately" as a hyperbole sounds...

I'm not sure.

"That book was literately  horrible".
  • edited 2011-12-16 05:01:30
    No rainbow star
    ^ Another way of typing that sentence:

"That book was horrible. Literately. In all other aspects... it is still awful actually"

...I forgot to sleep last night :3
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    How can you even forget something like sleeping?
  • No rainbow star
    By being on the computer all night 8D
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I found this on the SA forums, you'd think goons would know better.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Actually, they are one of the worst offenders,right after 4chan
  • SA is as usual a grab bag.