If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When you have a friend that actually uses gratuitous Japanese.

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Well, scarves on their own don't make the hipster. It's when you use it IRONICALLY when it beccomes hipster.

Also, skinny jeans
  • mmmm, skinny jeans

tasty

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Cut it out, Juan.

Just.

Dude.
  • edited 2011-11-27 19:33:33
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "Also, skinny jeans"

DAMMIT

Well, I don't have any skinny jeans yet, but I've been considering getting some, since I like skinny jeans as a rule and I'm okay enough with how I look that I would wear them. I know it would probably get me laughed at by my friends, though.

I'll probably get the scarves and skinny jeans for college. I'll also be sure to keep growing my hair out, and maybe see if my facial hair grows enough from PortCon to college's start that I can pull it off. Wait, facial hair ain't gonna help, huh?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Weeabooism doesn't limit itself to nerd hobbies, by the by. Go to any religious studies class and listen to people jerk off to Buddhism, Confuscianism, and Shinto.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Also, martial arts.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I mean, don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for those religions and draw some of my current beliefs from aspects but it's annoying to meet people assuming that Buddhism is the ultimate idea of spiritualism, thus defying Buddhism.

When you find the Buddha on the road kill him, fuckers.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    What about peacoats and beards?
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:27:42
    Stop mocking my phone typing skills >:
  • I don't have friends that dorky.

Hell, I don't even know anyone that dorky.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    The only thing worse than gratuitous Japanese is gratuitous German. While I hear German every day, it's solely the non-gratuitous kind (which is quite normal when you live in Germany).

Anyway, I don't know anyone who does that. And I hope that I never will. But I guess it sucks for the ones who have to endure such people.
  • ^Aber Deutsch ist doch schön, ja?

Anyhow, my uni has a Japanese study and my frat's the alternative one, so we get quite a few of these, inevitably first-years. And the worst inevitably fail their study cos they underestimate how tight you have to be in keeping up with the material, because they already know Nipponese from animu.

• edited 2011-11-28 05:04:57
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    gratuitous German

Nicht zeitliche mich.

Sorry, I shouldn't do that. My German leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit: Ninja'd to the awful humour.
  • I've used gratuitous French in real life (ironically, of course).

I do like the way the language sounds and looks (and that at least in
    theory it's a lot more logical than English), but honestly if I was
    going to put any real effort into learning it, it would only be to play
    Japanese games and to watch all the magical girl anime that nobody gives
    enough of a shit about to sub, since I don't really have much of an
    interest in learning a whole language just for the hell of it.

learning a whole language just for the hell of it.

Best reason.

Anyway, I don't know anyone who does that. And I hope that I never will.
    But I guess it sucks for the ones who have to endure such people.

You're repressing your memory of Chagen, aren't you?
  • I didn't mind Chagen much. Besides the guy was only like what, 14 or 15? He'll probably grow up and realize how much of an ignorant dumbass he was.

Anyway, on this, I don't hear it that much, but I like humming some japanese songs to myself, sometimes.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    >That feel when I realize my avatar title has gratuitous japanese

• Likes cheesecake unironically.
    ^^^ I meant in real llife.

On a not totally unrelated note, look at this (notice what website this is). I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I have nothing productive to add to this thread so I'll just leave this comment by @nohaynicklibre quoted here:
    HEY KISAMAS,

WATASHI NO NAMAE WA ANANIMASU OFFU KAKUSU TO WATASHI WA KIRAI
    EVERY SINGLE ONE OF ANATA. ALL OF ANATA ARE FAT, BAKA BAKA NO-LIFES WHO
    SPEND EVERY SECOND OF MAINICHI MITEIRUING AT BAKA PICTURES. ANATA WA
    SUBETE THAT IS WARUI IN THE SEKAI. HONTO NI, HAVE ANY OF ANATA EVER
    GOTTEN ANY NEKO? I MEAN, WATASHI GUESS IT'S TANOSHI MAKING FUN OF HITOS
    BECAUSE OF YOUR OWN UNKAWAIINESS, BUT MINNA TAKE IT TO A WHOLE NEW
    LEVEL. KORE WA WORSE THAN ONANI-ING TO PICTURES ON HESUBUUKU.

SHIRANAI HITO JA NAI DESHO? JUST HIT WATASHI AND BE SURE TO GANBARIMASU.
    WATASHI WA PRETTY MUCH PAAFEKUTO. WATASHI WAS AMERIKAN FUTBORU NO
    CAPTAIN, TO WATASHI WAS HAJIMASHTATER ON WATASHI NO BASUKETOBOORU TEAM.
    DONNA SUPOTSU DO ANATA ASANBOU, OTHER THAN "ONANI TO NAKED DRAWN
    NIPPONJIN"? WATASHI MO GET HOMO JA NAI A'S, TO WATASHI HAS A BANGING
    KAWAII SHOJO (KANOJO WA BLOWJOB WO SHIMASHITA; KUSO WA HONTO NI CASH.)
    ANATA WA ALL KISAMAS DARE SHOULD JUST KOROSU THEMSELVES. DOMO ARIGATOU
    GOZAIMASU FOR LISTENING.
    (SONO PIC WA RELATED DESU, ARE WA WATASHI TO WATASHI NO ONNA)

• edited 2011-11-28 11:03:09
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    >HONTO NI, HAVE ANY OF ANATA EVER GOTTEN ANY NEKO?

Okay I lol'd. Well played.
  • edited 2011-11-28 10:56:51
    Kichigai birthday!!
    Kuso wa honto ni cash

Besuto peijutoppa eva-
    IJBM: Gratuitous languages

They only make you look like a presumptuous asshat. And it also doesn't help other people understand you.

It's fine and dandy if you're borrwing an expression because English (Or the language you're speaking) doesn't possess the expression you're using or simply if you don't know it, but speaking German in the middle of an English conversation (Or Japanese, Spanish or whatever) unless you have a reason barely makes sense. 
  • Omae wa mo, Shinderu
    Can someone please post a translation of that post I quoted?

I saw that and was like, I'm not translating this.

That said, if a Gratuitous Japanese puzzle shows up in the 2012 Mystery Hunt, I will eat my words.
  • edited 2011-11-28 11:47:47
    Kichigai birthday!!
    The original copy pasta is this:

Hey Faggots,

My name is John, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are fat, retarded, no-lifes who spend every second of their day looking at stupid ass pictures. You are everything bad in the world. Honestly, have any of you ever gotten any pussy? I mean, I guess it's fun making fun of people because of your own insecurities, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to pictures on facebook.

Don't be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I'm pretty much perfect. I was captain of the football team, and starter on my basketball team. What sports do you play, other than "jack off to naked drawn Japanese people"? I also get straight A's, and have a banging hot girlfriend (She just blew me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggots who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening.

Pic Related: It's me and my bitch

omfg, I just cross-referenced the two versions and found that the Gratuitous Japanese version is like watching a trainwreck of a trainwreck.

Also, the "neko" line is now infinitely more hilarious.
  • I have to admit I don't know anyone who talks like this. If it wasn't for this site and TV Tropes I wouldn't believe they existed. If it wasn't for TV Tropes I'd hardly know anime existed, full-stop.

At one point, I thought the whole otaku sub-culture was basically an American thing, but since you see plenty of anime DVDs for sale in HMV in the UK (for example), maybe it exists here as well. I've never actually encountered it in physical form, though.

• edited 2011-11-28 16:27:00
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    As I said, I never met anyone (in RL) who speaks like that. And I know a few people, who are more-or-less anime-fans, and visited an anime/manga con one month ago.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, I know a few people who are anime fans, even a couple who have cosplayed at Connecticon once or twice, and even they never use gratuitous Japanese like that.

Thank god.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-28 14:55:22
    I've met one person like this.  It was in theater and her scripts were all anime fanfiction.  I had to proofread some of it.  It was some mind-crushing shit.