If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Internet Explorer

edited 2011-11-24 08:19:35 in General
You can change. You can.
Why can't microsoft invest some time into it and make it, you know, good?

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Because they don't need to.

Anyone who is computer-literate enough to actually care about the things that IE has wrong with has already switched to one of the many alternatives, and the remaining market share, well, doesn't care.
  • You can change. You can.
    Mang, stop being logical.

Yeah, it's definetly true that there's almost no reason to care, as it comes preinstalleed and blah blah

But fuck, it sucks. And I'm stuck with it.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Why are you stuck with IE?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Using someone else's computer, probably.  Or maybe a school network computer, or something like that.
    Yup, had to borrow one and the network did not accept me downloading Chrome.

But now I'm on another one with Chrome, so all is well
    > using Chrome
    >Opera and Firefox user criticizing Chrome user. 

https://room208.org/shimmie/_images/278a6d3efb4a75c5ed14bcc9cd2902e0.jpg">
  • edited 2011-11-24 10:57:21
    No rainbow star
    I hate how Chrome handles tabs. I want the text to be visible, as the favicon is often not enough =/

Yes I have enough tabs open that this is a problem
  • I hate browser wars. They make no sense to me.
  • edited 2011-11-24 11:06:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I dislike Chrome because it hides all the bars and shoves their contents into a drop-down menu.  I like my menu bar, I like my navigation bar, I like my search bar that I can tab to from the navigation bar, I like my bookmarks toolbar, and I like my status bar that can tell me where a link is pointing to when I mouse over it.

I also dislike Chrome because I don't think Google ought to have a foot in everything.

For what it's worth, I use Firefox and Opera and sometimes IE.  Firefox because I like how I've customized everything to my own liking.  Opera and IE fill specific purposes.  Would use Epiphany if I could get it on Windows...
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I use Firefox because of all the add-ons, especially NoScript and AdBlock, and Chrome for work/school or when Firefox decides to be dumb.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I started using Chrome when Firefox decided it didn't feel like working anymore. Chrome works well enough; I find the drop-down menu convenient, and if I have tons of tabs open, either a lot of them are similar, or it's a sign that I need to close a few.
    I rarely have more than about 10 tabs open anyway.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ I usually have at least 60 open in one window
  • I didn't like Firefox's redesign so I switched to Chrome. Happy with it so far.
  • edited 2011-11-24 11:57:37
    ^^ Why?
    Personally, i try to limit myself to a max of six-seven tabs.

And i honestly don't mind someone using something I don't like, but if GMH's gonna mock me for using a functional browser with no memory leaks, then i should mock him for using one with both memory leaks and slow start up

Honestly, chrome's design is...well, i like it, because i dislike clutter, but it seems a bit of an overkill.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Because I forget that bookmarks exist too often
  • Good people don't end up here.
    I have twenty-four tabs open right now and generally have more.

Bookmarks are for things I will get back to eventually. Tabs are for things I'm working on now, defined as 'sometime this week'.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I hate how Chrome handles tabs. I want the text to be visible, as the favicon is often not enough =/ 
    -looks up at my tabs- 

Um...the text is visible for me...
  • Right now I have three tabs; Facebook, this thread, and the thread I'm about to read.

The only time I have loads of tabs is when I'm doing my book research as it's easier to open a new tab than to write a check list.
  • IE9 is basically a Chrome clone anyway. As for browsers, I prefer Chrome, but Chrome Nanny sucks, while Leechblock is pretty effective, so I'm stuck with Firefox.
  • Um...the text is visible for me...

In Chrome (and unfortunately for me, also Opera), your tabs change size so that all of them will fit on the screen at the same time.  The effect of this is that if you have too many tabs, all of the text on them will have to be cut off, making it very difficult to distinguish them from one another.  In Firefox (at least in 3.6 and under, since I haven't used newer versions for more than a couple minutes), the size of tabs is fixed, and if there are too many to fit on the tab bar, you can scroll the tab bar to view the others.  Personally, I think Firefox's way of dealing with it is better, but since I use Opera I am stuck with tiny tabs.

• edited 2011-11-25 23:41:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Firefox default: tab size fixed, scroll right/left through tab bar.  This is not optimal.

I have Tab Mix Plus, however.  I get to have multiple rows of tabs, all the same max size, so that I can see favicons AND text.

The coolest part of this?  When I use personas, using more rows of tabs actually reveals more of the persona picture.
  • Multiple rows of tabs is not optimal.  There's not enough screen space as is.  I'd rather have as much of it as possible devoted to the actual content of the page.  You could say I could go into full screen mode when I need more screen space, but I find that I always need more screen space, so it's better to just have as little clutter as possible.
    I rarely find myself needing more screen space, though having more would certainly be nice.

That said, that's partly why I prefer 4:3 screens--more vertical, less wasted horizontal.