If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dear Stefani Germanotta

edited 2011-11-18 19:21:39 in General
Have you noticed that when you're just singing and not dancing around acting like a total, total, fanny you're actually quite talented?

Honestly, see all the stupid hair and costumes and that? It's all been done, it was called the 80s and it was 30 years ago. You're not unique or special so just cut it out and focus on that lovely voice of yours.

Comments

• "Honestly, see all the stupid hair and costumes and that? It's all been done, it was called the 80s and it was 30 years ago. You're not unique or special so just cut it out and focus on that lovely voice of yours."

It does amaze me that people don't remember that her schtick has been done. In fact, her stage name comes from a Queen song.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    She's a pop musician, expecting her to do things for the art is pointless.
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    Just because it's been done before doesn't mean Lady Gaga can't do it too. Her act is actually a deliberate homage to David Bowie, Queen and Madonna and the like.
    Actually, I am reminded of this quote:

An original writer is not one who imitates nobody, but one whom nobody can imitate.
    - de Chateaubriand

• At least Lady Gaga's a seriously nice person and has talent. And seconding Anne.
    Yeah, I love Lady Gaga.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I like her first two albums.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't know her personality in matters other than show biz, but I definitely don't like her approach to it, which basically amounts to trolling people for attention.
  • Clean your room little Billy
    I'm not much of a Gaga fan myself, but I do appreciate her trying to bring a bit of theatricality and, dare I say, weirdness back into mainstream music. But then, theatricality and weirdness in media has been in disfavour for a while now (if ever they were in favour), so divided public opinion on Gaga is to be expected.
  • edited 2011-11-19 08:37:45
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
  • edited 2011-11-19 08:56:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Theatricality and creativity is nice, but that doesn't mean that all theatricality and creativity are equally nice.

I mean, say, there's a difference between going on stage dressed in a yellow shirt and purple pants and carrying three feet of garden hose with a "BANG!" flag attached to the end and going on stage dragging the rotting corpse of a wild boar behind you.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    going on stage dragging the rotting corpse of a wild boar behind you

That sounds like a Butthole Surfers show, lol
  • You can change. You can.
    i don't like her music and honestly, her whole act is kinda meh.

Yeah yeah, we get it, you're like some sort of Salvador Dali-ish provocateur who goes out of her way to be weird.

It'd be actually weird if you hadn't seen it. Which is actually the main problem. I honestly doon't mind that it's been done before. Or at least, not normally, but in the frame of shocking me and surprising me, of course matters.
  • Katy Perry weirds me out far more than she does.
  • I somehow "get" Katy Perry in a weird way that I don't "get" Lady Gaga.
    Lady Gaga's music/persona is okay, but it annoys me a lot more how she seemed to make every female pop star in her general vicinity more gimmicky and theatrical.
  • You could see it as her making people more willing to be a little odd, and less concerned about appearances and I'll just go in my corner now...
  • ^ That's what Lady Gaga said she was going for anyway, she dresses crazy and things like that in part to encourage people that it's okay for them to be themselves.

I'm not totally in love with all her music but she's so so nice! I've hardly seen anyone that genuinely loves their fans as much as she loves hers.
  • Yeah, in interviews, she's like...crazy soft spoken.
    I remember reading in an article that she once started crying when someone pointed out how similar "Born This Way" is to "Express Yourself".

that's... something.