If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Stop watching moe, IJBM

Comments

• edited 2011-11-17 01:12:37
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^Yes. She wouldn't be in the international saimoe tournament if she weren't.

^See, you're falling into a flaw of 'this is good so it can't be moe.' Kaiji falls apart, breaks down, cries, and is defined by being something of a shiftless loser, and if you look at the female fandom they'll guarantee you that Kaiji is moe. 

Which ties into moe being a reaction, not a genre or archetype.

• I don't think a character having vulnerabilities that allow one to feel for them is enough to characterise them as moe, otherwise any good character would be moe. 

Well, remember.  Moe is not actually a trait of a character, but a specific emotional reaction the audience has to that character.  Not every character that has vulnerabilities that make an audience feel for them will be considered moe because the audience just will not have that particular reaction.  The potential for the character to be moe is always there, whether they are or are not moe is determined by the audience.  Moe as an emotional response is characterized not just by being able to empathize with a character but also by something like wanting to take care of them or help them with emotional problems or... something along those lines.  If the person watching the show feels that for a character, that is moe regardless of what sort of character inspired that feeling.

• edited 2011-11-17 01:23:07
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Are we talking about the same Kaiji? NGE, right? Secret agent with critical information and jet piloting skills?

And as a general point on the topic, I wish people would respond to my thoughts on moe as a construct rather than specific examples. On the last page, I wrote a bit about what I thought defines moe. While it doesn't follow the definitions of all others, some have been feeding my own thoughts back to me somewhat, such as DYRE pointing out that moe is, in part, painting flaws in an endearing light.

I also feel this is too reductive:

See, you're falling into a flaw of 'this is good so it can't be moe.'

I don't consider moe as a character element necessarily bad, but when it becomes the focus of a work, especially in the context we're discussing and is popular, I think does more harm than good.

^ I think that's a valid definition, although the expression is widespread and the feeling is subjective.

You made me consider something further, though. That feeling can be sexually-motivated, so could moe be applied to a character whose flaws are not focused upon and isn't vulnerable? If so, the definition of moe could become so broad and subjective as to be useless in discussion.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:30:51
    No, Kaiji the gambling anime.

Also, your definition of moe is rather bunk and the best way to prove this is to show you examples that show it as bunk and as DYRE has the Moe as a construct much better covered I might as well cover a different front.

Also, moe isn't necessarily sexually motivated. Consider the 'little sister' phenomenon.
  • You can change. You can.
    You made me consider something further, though. That feeling can be sexually-motivated, so could moe be applied to a character whose flaws are not focused upon and isn't vulnerable? If so, the definition of moe could become so broad and subjective as to be useless in discussion. 

Now you know why I think moe debates are pointless
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:38:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think it has multiple definitions.  At least two.

One is the audience reaction, one of generally protectiveness, the kind directed to a child or puppy or kitten, applied toward a character seen as vulnerable.  Though, unlike with a child or puppy or kitten, this reaction sometimes gets mixed in with sexuality; this is a well-known point of controversy.

The other is the aesthetic and character design that most typically gets used to elicit such a reaction.  By this, we mean: young female human in animesque style, with large eyes, cute mannerisms, and other similar traits (such as clumsiness) that aim to cause positive attention from the audience.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:37:54
    I define a moe character as one who is designed to illicit a protective reaction in the audience via vulnerability and/or celebration of their flaws, but especially the former. I'd define a moe work as a work that focuses on moe characters to cause this response on a regular basis, with scenarios written to enable the requisite behaviours.

Given that moe is nebulous and subjective at the best of times, I don't think those are unreasonable definitions.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:36:24
    Fuck, by that definition Batman and Wolverine are moe. 
  • One is the audience reaction, one of generally protectiveness, the kind directed to a child or puppy or kitten, applied toward a character seen as vulnerable. Though, unlike with a child or puppy or kitten, this reaction sometimes gets mixed in with sexuality; this is a well-known point of controversy.

The other is the aesthetic and character design that most typically gets used to elicit such a reaction. By this, we mean: female, young, large eyes, cute mannerisms, and other similar traits (such as clumsiness) that aim to cause positive attention from the audience.

Your proposed second definition for moe is in fact not a definition of moe at all.  Rather, you are describing things that commonly cause moe, in the first sense you mentioned.  This is a common point of confusion in discussions of moe.  Moe is a reaction, not a set of traits.  Certain traits, however, have shown to be likely to cause moe in a large amount of people.  This does not mean the traits themselves are moe.  A character who fits the second definition will likely be percieved as moe, but not because people are using "moe" in a different sense here, rather it is because those things are what makes the audience care for the character in the first place.  Though, again, I'd argue that in the first definition, the feeling doesn't necessarily have to come from a character being vulnerable, and in fact it doesn't really matter where it comes from at all as what matters is the actual feeling.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm saying that people are also using the term to refer to that set of stereotypical traits known for causing that reaction.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:44:45
    ^^^ I'm not especially experienced with comics, but I doubt that the superhero genre widely celebrates the flaws or vulnerabilities of the protagonists. In fact, Batman's fractured psyche is often a point of criticism in-universe and in discussion of his character, causing problems. Such flaws might make him sympathetic, but I don't experience a protective feeling and I don't expect that many others do, either.

Furthermore, Batman works are often written to explore his flaws and vulnerabilities, true, but not to paint him in an endearing light. There's a significant difference between endearment and sympathy, after all.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:45:55
    ^^ Well, it's pretty well-established that people are using the term to mean a whole lot of different things.  But if we want any discussion of the concept to go anywhere, we probably should avoid getting tied up in things like that and get to the idea from which the other uses of the word originate anyway.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:49:23
    If you don't think Batman's fractured psyche isn't meant to be painted in an endearing light or that he isn't written as a bad boy for girls to heal his torturted soul all the time, you really haven't been reading any comics.

Hell, the goddamn dark knight does this. He clearly inspires that reaction in Rachel, though she eventually Harvey anyways and his immature wallowing and grim demeanor are certainly meant to be endearing.

Keep in mind, my argument is not that Batman and Wolverine are moe. My argument is that it is a flawed definition if things that no one would consider moe could fit into it.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:55:24
    No, I don't really read many comments, so I'm not at liberty to discuss them in depth. More often than not, though, through the Batman media I've encountered, his flaws are portrayed more readily as truly significant within the plot and within character relationships. While those elements you describe may be present, I'd take a guess and say they're peripheral to the core objectives of the story.

The objectives and results of Batman media fall outside my definition, or at least the films, games and animated stuff does.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    "his flaws are portrayed more readily as truly significant within the plot and within character relationships"

and this can't be endearing, why?

A large part of Batman's appeal to both men and women is because he's broken, and that breaking has caused a lot creation of mothering love-interest, fangirls who love his craziness (also the Joker counts too by these definitions) and kids who want to be Robin so they can help cheer Batman up.
  • edited 2011-11-17 01:58:37
    You can change. You can.
    The objectives and results of Batman media fall outside my definition, or at least the films, games and animated stuff does. 

Not really. I mean, how many works about Batman are about Batman's flaws and trying to elicit sympathy from his situation as a lonely man who will never be able to get close to anyone except his butler?

The Dark Knight is practically about that, really. Or hell, for that matter, almost any recent Batman story in the last thirty years is about making light of the fact that Bruce is a very fucked up man who deserves your sympathy.
    Not to mention all the stories with love interests who come oh so close to salving Batman's wounds only to tragically die in the end.
  • edited 2011-11-17 02:09:26
    ^^^ Those traits can be endearing, but they don't have to be. "Sympathetic" is close enough, and probably more readily and universally applicable to Batman.

And I would argue against Batman's appeal coming directly from his flaws. That he has those flaws isn't enough. That he has those flaws and triumphs anyway, and in service of justice and a better Gotham, is what makes him a sympathetic character. Sometimes he has help, but it's generally his own internal strength that pulls him through.

^^ I interpret those stories to be about his triumph and sacrifice in spite of his flaws. They aren't the focal point of the narrative, but they serve to support his characterisation. This is getting dangerously subjective, but for me, the most powerful and emotional moments of what I've seen has never been the reflection on his flaws or the pain in his past, but his independent triumph over those flaws and the validation of his moral perspective.

That is, his flaws and vulnerabilities serve a purpose beyond an immediate emotional reaction, and go on to significantly influence the plot and often the lives of other characters. In a moe show, flaws exist for the emotional response and little else. K-On!, lacking a consistent plot beyond being slice-of-life, uses the flaws of its protagonists as endearing factors and never has them influence a larger sequence of events.

On the other hand, Haruhi's flaws and vulnerabilities serve to establish conflict and to further character development. Whether they're endearing or not is peripheral to their actual purpose.
    Are you kidding me? The entire reason Batman and Wolverine are so popular is because they're completely damaged people. They might send the Joker to jail or beat Sabertooth but they're never actually going to triumph against their inner demons and how tragic they are.
    And I would argue against Batman's appeal coming directly from his flaws

Urm.

His main flaw is the fact that he goes out in the night and fight crime.
    This is the thing that makes him admired across the world. 
  • edited 2011-11-17 02:13:24
    The police do that, too, just with state law on their side.

^^ But they do. Their triumphs might not be permanent, but every time Batman puts away a villain that appeals to his past, flaws and mistakes, that's a victory.
  • edited 2011-11-17 02:16:00
    The police don't go around the world learning every possible skill and paranoidly prepare to have a Batcave in Istanbul just in case.

^The Dark Knight begs to differ. It's pretty clear that Batman didn't win because Harvey was corrupted and now Batman has to deal with this Joker guy forever.

and those triumphs are fleeting and ultimately unimportant. Batman will never move past his personal issue. Being Batman for Bruce Wayne will never be anything but an obsession due to childhood drama. He'll never have a true triumph for himself. 

• edited 2011-11-17 02:16:07
    They don't have to, because they have police stations all over the country, plus teams like SWAT to deal with particularly dangerous situations. They can also request support and cooperation from police in other countries where a suspect may have dealings.

The point is that regular men and women build careers on going out into the world and preventing crime. That he does that is not a flaw at all, but entirely noble.
  • edited 2011-11-17 02:17:41
    You can change. You can.
    The police do that, too, just with state law on their side. 

Well, yeah, but do you see flying ratmen with badges on their belt screaming "FREEZE! MELBOURNE POLICE DEPARTMENT"

Cuz if so, I wanna move to Australia.

The point is that regular men and women build careers on going out into the world and preventing crime. That he does that is not a flaw at all, but entirely noble. 

The way he does it, his MO, so to speak is a flaw, denoting obsession with vengeance, bats and violence.
    Alex. 

You are comparing one man's personal crusade

Against multiple organizations around the world.

Part of point of post-eighties Batman is not that what he's doing is noble, but what he's doing is deranged.
  • edited 2011-11-17 02:29:02
    They're not mutually exclusive.

And yes, I'm certainly making that comparison. What resources are used to attain the desired result is beyond the point and scope of this topic, because this is essentially about intent. Human beings have spent much time, resources and effort on reducing and controlling crime. Whether it's one person or many is immaterial to the discussion. This is a noble cause, one man or many. And I'd say it's unquestionably noble in the case of Gotham, where the police are so corrupt that street law is more powerful than state legality.

^^ The things you listed at the end of your post may rightly be considered flaws, but that he carries out his tasks without killing and with respect to a greater sense of justice diminishes their relevance in my eyes and, I suspect, the eyes of many.
    Batman's goal is not to fight crime for the sake of society. Batman's goal is to fight crime for the sake of the two corpses besides Wayne Manor.

Yes, Wayne still uses his resources to try and help the city as a front, but most of it is just a front so he can go out at night and beat the crap out of people in order to feel the closest thing he can to revenge and catharsis.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    We both know that's a point of contention in-universe and within discussion of Batman works. There's no clear consensus on what the stronger motivation is, just that both apply.
  • -wonders why a moe thread turned into a Batman thread-
  • edited 2011-11-17 02:36:26
    You can change. You can.
    -wonders why a moe thread turned into a Batman thread-

Because Barbara Gordon is moe. 

dat wheelchair~

We both know that's a point of contention in-universe and within discussion of Batman works. There's no clear consensus on what the stronger motivation is, just that both apply. 

There's definitely a sense of nobility to Batman's quest to fight crime, but it's pretty clear from the way he behaves and neglects bigger causes that don't affect Gotham that his heart lies, first and foremost in punishing the crime in Gotham. 

It's indeed a point of debate within the DCU whether Batman is a force of good, evil or batmanness, but most of the arguments fall on the side of Batman being clearly a force of his own self. Not noble, because he doesn't care about anything but fighting crime, but not evil, because he's not willing to harm people the same way he was harmed that night in Crime Alley