If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

J Scott Campbell

2»

Comments

• edited 2011-11-14 23:31:01
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I saw the Athena review, and while I agree with him about female portrayals in comics, his look at it is pretty shallow. He never goes into systemic issues or the logic of why it's bad. Nothing about what he noticed that was wrong in that comic took anything special to notice. Honestly, I can see how going into detail about what a complex craft modern comic books actually are and the factors that go into a comic's failure, but it's pretty obvious he's not really aware of those nuances, like with his Amazon's Attack review where he just blamed the editors instead of acknowledging the actual kerfuffle among writers and artists over it.

I remember him complaining about the tendency to kill characters off in one review. The only real thing he had to say was that a character death should mean something... which isn't so much analysis as setting a broad fiction rule.

Also, he should shut the fuck up about his politics for two goddamn seconds which are far more uneducated this his comic opinions.

^To be fair, adding in crappy metaplot seems to be a TGWTG thing by and large.

It's also mostly what made me stop watching.
  • You can change. You can.
    ^To be fair, adding in crappy metaplot seems to be a TGWTG thing by and large.

But normally, they're pretty selfcontained, aren't they?
  • edited 2011-11-14 23:38:44
    crossovers are pretty darn common there.

Or at least they were at a point. They might have stopped.

Spoony at least keeps his metaplots to simple story structures at the end of a review, with the varying success. (Insano sending Squall to kill Spoony being entertaing... black lantern spoony not so much)

On another note, one thing I like about Spoony and NC is a good deal of their videos also deal with stuff they actually enjoy, which brings more joy to their videos and also shows that they know their stuff.  Honestly, NC's top ten and Old Vs. New vids are way more interesting than him bitching about crap movie seventy billion.
  • You can change. You can.
    Oh, definetly. Although I loved his "Top 25 movies I didn't like who everyone did"

It was quite thoughtful, considering that it was the kind of subject that most people use to bitch about the mainstream and hollywood, yo
  • edited 2011-11-14 23:42:40
    Oh yeah, I actually think Doug himself seems like someone who'd be interesting to talk to about film, since he's clearly a student and not just a nerd like Film Brain. I honestly think the NC character brings a decent bridge between analysis and humor, if not a full one. It's just he tries to milk too much out of movies that are simple failures instead of amazing bombs.

His liked/disliked films also had the nice disclaimer of saying that reasons for liking or disliking them were more important than the films themselves in his opinions of people's tastes.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-15 07:46:10
    Also, he should shut the fuck up about his politics for two goddamn seconds which are far more uneducated this his comic opinions.

...He doesn't talk about politics. He made a point not to. 

And while I don't think the analysis are the most in depth things ever, I think he's good at phrasing certain things, and clearly there are things he says that just because YOU get, does not mean EVERYONE gets, as evidenced by reactions he has gotten from fans before. I am not saying he is completely in depth in his reviews, just the parts where he does get in depth are the parts I enjoy, as well as the actual "is this a good comic or not." review area.

For example, I know that it's good to be respectful to people. I assume everyone knows this, and there is no reason to say anything. Then you come along and you act rudely towards me because I have a different opinion (yes, I am talking about the facepalm picture, classy). So clearly, something that's fundamentally obvious is completely lost on you.