If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on Games Mastering.

edited 2011-11-06 21:09:30 in General
One foot in front of the other, every day.
I'm not a hugely experienced GM, although I've GMed for every game I've played -- DnD, Dark Heresy, WoD, WH Fantasy Roleplay, ect -- and I've learned a few things via experience and the GM hints within the texts. Actually, for however confounding Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay can get, its GM book has some of the most brilliant writing on the task I've ever read. A few of those ideas are below, combined with my own experience and other reading.

GMing can be pretty tough, especially given the diversity of material your players might expect you to cover, so a lot of these thoughts actually come down to taking shortcuts in order to keep your own focus so as to best referee the game.

1. Structure your plots. By this, I mean have "acts". Each act should have a single major obstacle, where dealing with that (or failing to deal with it) leads into the next act. This maintains focus, because we know what we want to accomplish and so do you. I recommend the basic three act structure in general. It's your call whether to make a single session a single act, or whether to make your game a series of connecting "trilogies" where each session goes through three and solves an entire problem.

Given that each act only has one major obstacle, you should ensure that it takes some doing to solve. Perhaps the PCs need to find a particular location? So that might be Act 1's major obstacle. They might begin with knowing vaguely what they're looking for and the general area it's in. To pinpoint the place, they might have to find some research resources, make contacts and explore. How much trouble they find on the way is your call.

2. Use the "false choice". This is simply when the players are presented with a choice that isn't. No matter what they choose, the same events will unfold, perhaps just at a difference place. Sure, this is railroading, but players don't care about invisible railroading. Which leads me to another point...

3. Don't be afraid to railroad from time to time, just ensure that you do it surreptitiously. As a GM, you have to be tricky. Sometimes, players will not be cooperative, so you have to trick them into thinking they're doing what they want while falling into your ploy and thereby progressing the plot. You're certainly not in the game to win, mind, but at the same time, you can't let pushy or clever players shift focus too far away, especially if they're on the verge of something cool.

4. Conversely, if a player makes an interesting choice, you might want to run with it. Every so often, a player will make an observation you didn't. The gut reaction is often to deny that observation in some manner to keep things under control, but, hey, why not? See where the story goes. And there's no reason such an observation means you have to scrap your prepared ideas; they just take a backseat until your player's line of investigation is done, or they might be reshuffled.

5. Reward the correct things, like good roleplaying, teamwork, clever solutions and completing major objectives. These should be the players' largest sources of experience, cash and items. You don't want to get bogged down with grind or allow the players to get too stuck in their ways, so reward the things that keep the game fun and thematic.

6. Improvise. Sometimes, shit happens. It's every GM's worst nightmare, but it's also a reality all of them have to deal with. One day, sometime, your game will go entirely off the rails, crash, burn and you have to pick up the pieces as you players watch on expectantly. You can prepare for this; have a set of secret, improvisational obstacles, plot points and the like that you can pull out if your game ever becomes a mess.

7. Err towards generosity, especially when you or your players are just starting out. By this, I mean lean towards generosity in cases where the game might be unfun or too difficult otherwise. Likewise, if a particular battle or event was costly, find some way to make it up to the players. It doesn't have to be in literal game cash or items. One of my favourites is to give the players some sort of hideout, even if it's just a secret cellar or an old barn in the country. There, they can pool their resources away from prying eyes.

8. Don't throw unused ideas away. If you wrote some cool encounters, interactions or places that the players never got to see, keep them for a rainy day or another project. Some will require a little altering for context and others can just be completely transplanted. What the players don't know doesn't exist. So if they come to know something somewhere else, it *always* existed there, see?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Ummm, Only the generic perverted thought of "I wouldn't mind being railroaded by you Alex!"
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ... I should've expected that, but I've not heard the pun before. xD
  • edited 2011-11-07 09:49:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Just remember, though, Alex, that's a girl with her hair dyed to look like a MLP pony's hair's colors that you're going to be tying up and threatening with being run over by a train.

Are you sure you want involvement with the MLP fandom on your evil overlord resume?
    -shrugs-

Touhou's already on there. Not sure how it can get much worse, you see.
  • Though really Alex, start up a Legend of Zelda RP thing, I doth command it!
  • edited 2011-11-07 09:56:47
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^ Did you pretend to be U.N. Owen and steal the precious tomboyish daughter?
    ^^ With which system? D:

^ U.N. Owen Stole The Precious Ponyish Daughter Dx
  • Hmmm, what system?

I don't know to be honest XD
    -lightbulb-

-scribbling-
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    FATE system seems to be the best for a Zelda game. 

I'd want to play a Rito.
  • No rainbow star
    Being a Zora could be fun :D
  • edited 2011-11-07 12:22:46
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Oh, also.

9. You're allowed to cheat.

You're not trying to play a wargame, you're trying to tell a story and as arbiter you should make sure that compelling drama and twists take place over strict adherence to the rules. 
  • No rainbow star
    You're forgetting 10)

Have Fun. What's the point if you're stressing out and making it a chore for yourself?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I feel like a true Zelda TRPG would have item-based advancement rather than experience-based advancement.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Magic and health go up in Zelda games
    Health goes up when you get the items that make it go up.

Magic generally goes up if a Great Fairy gives you that power.
  • No rainbow star
    Ah. I thought you meant flat stats including magic and health that never improve
    Definitely not. I just mean that there wouldn't be a traditional XP system.
  • edited 2011-11-07 19:18:22
    No rainbow star
    I'm guessing bottles would have to be kept rare and anything you buy from a store that would be seen in a bottle in the ganes would have to be clay pots instead to keep someone from robbing a store of all their bottles then filling them with faeries