If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I'm a Hikikomori

edited 2011-03-11 18:49:46 in Meatspace
[tɕagɛn]
I have just noticed that I go outside only to go to school or when my parents drag me outside. And to get soda's. Other times, I'm inside my apartment constantly. I can stay in here for days on end without leaving. Whenever I am outside on my own choice, I'm only outside for around 10 minutes. Otherwise, I'm on my computer or my PS3, staying inside constantly.

This is slightly worrying.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I do this too. I too am slightly worried.
  • So, how are you going to change this?
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:00:57

^My "slightly" was a response to his "slightly." Hence the "too."
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:01:01

Ah. True.
    So of the people who've posted so far, we've got an 80% Hikikomori rate...
  • Don't y'all have any friends in real life?

I mean, I'm a bit of a shut-in, but I still do shit with my bros on occasion.
  • Does it count if we often do it in my own home?
    I have friends. My roommate and a bunch of highschool friends I never see.
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:01:11

• ^^^I don't see why not. I thought the whole point of being a "hikikomori" was the lack of social interaction.
  • Chagen, you don't count as a hikikomori if you still live with your parents.
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:01:20

• Let me construct Hikikomoris for you gaiz.

Hikikomoris don't go outside at all. They rely on concerned family members to bring them food or personal hoards of food collected every other month/half-year. Going outside for food is generally a major fear/challenge for them, and generally only go out when there are the least amount of people outside as possible, either relying solely on street vendors for food, fast food restaurants, or 24/7 grocery stores with automated tellers to purchase food with.

Hikikomoris will not seek out jobs where there is a lot of social interaction. They will either work at home, rely on others for money, rely on handouts, or generally live with their family, but try to shun away as much interaction as possible.

Most hikikomoris sleep the majority of their time. While they may engage in activities such as videogames, reading, internet and collecting, they will eventually develop a mental block that prevents them from acknowledging a world outside of their own living space. Eventually, they will begin to fear the outside of their own homes.

Hikikomoris are generally inside because for one, they are afraid of outside contact and lack so much social understanding that they fear interaction, and generally hide inside of their apartments or homes, not even reaching out to forums, and even then, they seem very mechanical and robotic on there too, not talking about their personal lives or asking for help on anything. They are there simply for information and morbidly fixating on their hobbies.

And generally anime/manga portrays this differently and not in a bad lighting because most of their fans are hikikomoris themselves, so it's never portrayed as this extremely harmful practice that may lead to starvation, insanity, death or acute/permanent paranoia disorders.
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:01:31

• Great, now I'm worried that I come off as "robotic". (I don't really like talking about my personal life)
  • edited 2011-03-11 20:47:05
    I am a Term Nazi. I will be mad at ueu Alice. :<

But not for long because I still use Autisty as something else totally that has nothing to do with autistics.

^ Explore the world of humanism and you will avoid becoming a robot or starving to death, or murdering people that knock on your door!
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:01:39

• edited 2011-03-12 22:35:10
    I use it to mean this:

* No talking.
    * Unsociable.
    * Roboticy (not literally, but they seem like robots) persons. These are Autisties.

Mod edit: If you see "image" in this post, then it should link tohttp://www.absoluteanime.com/melancholy_of_haruhi_suzumiya/yuki[4].jpg but for some reason it doesn't work.

• edited 2012-07-22 17:01:45

• I am wary of threads like this. By getting a string of Me Too posts, it seems to encourage the behaviour rather than offer any solution.
  • I'm definitely not like this. Being this is kinda bad.
  • edited 2011-03-12 22:38:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    1. Well, being aware of this problem is half the battle. :)

2. I'm a bit worried about myself being like this, since I am home most of the time due to being unemployed and not knowing anyone around here (I didn't grow up here or attend high school or college here so I don't know anyone around my age), but I think my involvement in local politics (including campaigning and organizing) thoroughly disqualifies me.
    Last week, my dad told me I had no friends...:<
  • I'm often at home when not in school but I am pretty outgoing when I'm not at home, which is more often than it seems.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm outgoing enough at school to have organized our Mystery Hunt team as well as our dorm's GoCrossCampus team.

(FYI that last thing, abbreviated "GXC", is basically this massively multiplayer online Risk(-like) game played on custom maps, run by this one company.  Or was, since the company, a startup from 2007, closed down in January 2010.  Which is a shame because the game was actually pretty damn fun.)