If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A beginner's guide to typefaces

edited 2011-11-05 12:57:30 in Wonderful posts

Comments

• edited 2011-11-05 13:00:10
    But you never had any to begin with.
                     COMIC SANS
  • ^ Protip: Never use this.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Duh.
  • They're somethin' else.
    FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

F
    UCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

F

F

F

F

F

F

• They're somethin' else.
    MOTHERFUCKER
  • Bahahahahah.
  • My Ipod renders Comic Sans as Arial...
  • ...Arial? That's a little better, I guess.

My phone renders it as Droid Sans, but that's presumably because the only fonts included with Android are Droid Sans, Droid Serif, and Droid Sans Mono.
  • I removed Comic Sans from my computer ages ago. All I see from those typings is Times New Roman.

• No rainbow star
    All I see is Times New Roman on my phone as well (and on that comic sans site a cursive font, although I'm not sure if that's intended or not...)
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Why is people always so butthurt about Comic Sans?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Still times new roman
  • I don't understand why people care so much about fonts. Like...get passionate enough about them to loose their temper over it.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    >loose their temper
    >loose
    >loose
    >LOOSE
  • No rainbow star
    Now I can see the comic sans! :D

...Why do people hate it? I don't mind it =/
  • edited 2011-11-05 19:04:38
    (void)
    I haven't installed Comic Sans on this Linux box yet so all the Comic Sans shows up as...I think it's Bitstream Vera Sans.

EDIT: Correction, DejaVu Sans, which is Bitstream Vera with more Unicode support.
  • ^^They think it's ugly.
  • I don't mind Comic Sans in and of itself. I mean, it's a little ugly, and it doesn't really look like handwriting, but in the context it was designed for--i.e., displayed on a computer screen at small sizes--it doesn't look all that bad.

The part that is annoying is that people use it inappropriate contexts. It's clearly intended to invoke a sense of "silliness" or "whimsy"--or at the very least, informality--but people use it for things that are meant to be taken seriously. "EFFECTIVE 9/5/11 WE NO LONGER ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS", "THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED DURING BUSINESS HOURS", etc.

Thankfully that kind of misuse seems to be much less common than it once was.
  • No rainbow star
    THIS POST TO BE READ IN COMIC SANS AT ALL TIMES UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH