If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Being forced to proclaim faith in a religion you don't really believe in.

edited 2011-11-04 19:03:34 in Meatspace
[tɕagɛn]
It's somewhat creepy. And I have no idea how saying, "I, [Name], accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior from now on, amen" exactly does anything. I don't see how any religious proclamation like that does anything. It's merely a placebo effect--seemingly filling, but empty when you look at it more deeply. Religion really is the opiate of the masses.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Seemingly filling?

I never felt even a semblance of fulfillment.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Heh, I went to a interfaith primary school so I've done my fair share of this.
    I've had so many communions and blessing I'm immune to sin. (That's how it works right?)
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    not really
  • edited 2011-11-04 19:22:49
    Pony Sleuth
    The way a lot of different kinds of religions propagate in general is kind of disturbing. Sometimes you're going to be hard-pressed to look at things from a neutral point of view when you're told your whole life by friends, family, and authority figures that you'll be subjected to X celestial reward if you believe and Y celestial punishment if you don't. Then there's all the other earthly means of motivating people and punishing the non-believers. And in those situations, there's no telling how many people don't believe, but keep that a secret. It's gotten better in recent times, but I doubt there are many openly atheist people in elected office.
  • You can change. You can.
    It means you are religious. I don't see how that causes a placebo effect.
  • edited 2011-11-04 19:24:01

"Religion really is the opiate of the masses."

And you think you're so much purer than the common vulgar weak licentious crowd.

^^Europe tends to enforce separation of church and state more. Apparently in the U.K., a politician loses credibility by being open about their faith. 

• What I meant is that simply saying something doesn't do jack.

>Apparently in the U.K., a politician loses credibility by being open about their faith. 

The most prominent are still religious but in a quiet way, nothing like the way US politicians act like it.
    Well there are a few crazy MPs but they are regarded as crazy.

Religion isn't as huge an issue here. (May not include Ireland.)
    What I meant is that simply saying something doesn't do jack.

It doesn't affect the world around you, but it affects how you look at it.
    Also it affects how people see you.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Lip Service.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    And you think you're so much purer than the common vulgar weak licentious crowd.

Goddamnit.

• What I meant is that simply saying something doesn't do jack.
    Maybe not for you. But saying those words can mean do a hell of a lot for other people, even if only spiritually.
  • I feel awkward just saying amen.

I've slept over at my cousin's house on a saturday night, which meant sunday morning church.

I felt uncomfortable doing just about everything, from kneeling down, to reading aloud from the book.

Yeah.
  • I'm a terrible Catholic. I believe in God and Jesus and all that Bible whatnot, got my first Holy Communion etc, but that's where it stops. I hate going to Church and the only times I ever go are when we all go on Christmas and Easter. I think the most recent time I went to Church was that Romulus Lair in Brotherhood.

I take after my Father more than I'd like (pretty certain he's either an atheist or agnostic).
    I only went to an interfaith school as I was in the catchment area.
    It was ok really, a few dozen dull trips to old churches and occasionally a super long assembly where people would end up getting blessed/given communion.

However with regards to actually following religion the majority of kids were (and are still) atheists, the amen was mumbled because it was expected in school rather than due to religious reasons. 
  • When I was 7 my mom sent me to her crazy, religious mom's house for the two weeks that encompassed my birthday and new year's. During that time, every single day upon waking up, 4 hour bible-study.

I missed my mom terribly (and if something can make me miss my mom, you can bet I was miserable), was made to beg forgiveness from god every time I cried, and one day, I cried in church during aforementioned crazy grandma's song and they took me out and locked me alone in the car in the parking lot.

And that was before they dragged me back in to make me announce into a microphone to all the churchgoers that day that I was now Christian.

Long story short, I know that feel bro. :<
  • ^ That just fucking disgusts me.

-hug?-
  • edited 2011-11-04 20:40:22
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^
    :o
    That is pretty fucking crazy.
    *offers hugs*

Reminds me of a documentary shown here about US christian camps, where the camp leader basically enacted this upon children over summer, including telling them that they would have more friends if other parents didn't kill their children (abortion) and that they should be begging forgiveness etc.
    American Christianity is absolutely fucking crazy. Christ would be disappoint.

I was a Catholic for most of my life. Still love the music and architecture.
  • $80+ per session
    Man, does ANYONE here like religion?
  • I like religion.

I just don't like...doing stuff...especially when it's not even remotely my religion.
    Actually, I do like it. From a distance, mind, being an agnostic leaning towards atheism, but I certainly don't consider it negatively. In fact, I find the blame placed on religion sort of like blame placed on video games; the bottom line is that bad people are going to do bad things if they can.
    It depends what the religion advocates.

If it like the catholic church preaches that condoms cause AIDs and stuff like that which leads to greater harm befalling people due to such teachings, I hold a strong negative opinion.
  • edited 2011-11-04 21:42:15
    I'm agnostic, but I don't really have anything against the church. I don't believe that "they're brainwashing the masses, religion is just an excuse to control people" shit some people like to spew. If people find solace in the church and believe it gives them purpose, then they are entitled to that, and they don't deserve people spewing filth at them.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm athiest, and neutral towards religion, except when bullshit happens because of it.
  • edited 2011-11-04 21:41:56
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ Some people very evidently use the religion to their own ends, partially in such a way, although I don't believe that's the standard practise nor the wider intention.
  • ^ Yeah, I'm not trying to say the church has never manipulated people, but that's not it's overall goal.
    Actually, I do like it. From a distance, mind, being an agnostic leaning towards atheism, but I certainly don't consider it negatively. In fact, I find the blame placed on religion sort of like blame placed on video games; the bottom line is that bad people are going to do bad things if they can. 

Madass Alex confirmed for best Juan clone.
  • edited 2011-11-04 22:10:41
    So is nobody here devotedly religious?

I do pray sometimes, particularly at night, because it makes my dad happy. But I don't go out of my way to pray in any other ways.