If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's Play: Terraria

edited 2011-11-02 19:20:05 in Liveblogging
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

I just got this for 5 bucks on Steam, I need some way to keep myself interested in this, and I like liveblogging things, so: Interest check.
Would anyone be willing to follow a Terraria liveblog?

Comments

• edited 2011-11-02 19:22:20
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I sure would. (I just closed a Terraria window.)

I can also provide any answers you need if you're wondering anything about the game. It's a pretty complex game.
  • I'll follow it, and I can also answer most questions about the game. 
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Incidentally, you should totally add me on steam. I go by INUH there too.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Cool.

if a few more people express interest, I'll create a new world and figure out how this is going to work.
    I've been planning to make an IJBM server, but that can wait until the next massive update comes out. Should be this month.
  • Actually the current estimate of when the next update comes out is December 1.
  • Never played. I guess I'd watch, though I can't really promise regular comments.
    ^^Ah. Well, within the next month, then.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    so now I need to decide the dimensions/difficulty of the world (maybe you guys can do that?), and figure out how Steam games take screenshots, and we'll be underway.
  • I believe the screenshot key is F12. For difficulty & size I would go with easy and small. 
    Go for small. Definitely small on your first world.
    second world, actually.
    Still should probably go with small.
    Alright, small then.

I think I'll go with Softcore difficulty, too, because fuck dropping my items on death, seriously

Yeah, that was actually the only gameplay mode until just recently.
  • edited 2011-11-03 19:30:04
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Steam screenshots are a teensy bit big, it seems, but Vanilla seems to be resizing the images as I go.

SO

Still not sure exactly what I'm going to be doing for this, so don't expect regular updates as of yet.
  • No rainbow star
    That isn't resized ;.;
    VANILLA 

YOU HAVE DECEIVED ME
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I'm totally following this. Is there any chance of co-oping with IJBMers in the this liveblog? :D
    It's resized for me...
    It seems to be switching between resizing it and simply displaying it raw, because Vanilla is stupid.

Is there any chance of co-oping with IJBMers in the this liveblog?

I'm not sure how that'd work, but I'm not opposed to it...
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Basically you host your own temporary server. I'm not sure about the exact details though (my friend had to jump through hoops to get it to work).
    ^It worked fine for me and my roommate, and I'm not entirely sure he was even using a legal copy.
    Based on  a cursory Google search, it sounds like a pretty involved processs. Probably won't do it tonight.

I think I'll get this underway tomorrow, maybe build a temporary shelter and start mining...
    Looking at it from the game, it seems quite simple. You select "multiplayer," "host & play," pick a password and send people your IP.
    Even so, it's at least 10AM where I am.

maybe just for a couple of minutes
    Oh, I'm not actually up for playing right now; I'm just saying that it shouldn't be too hard when you want to.
  • edited 2011-11-06 10:10:54
    SO

We started off here, next to a smattering of copper and a vein of clay that I don't plan on using.

I suppose, first off, I should start off by gathering some wood

Fig. 1: An action of shot of Wicked223 gathering wood, in what has been the peak of excitement during this LP.

To save time and wood, I'll put the shelter in this little hole in the hill by my spawn point.

Fig. 2: Home sweet home, I guess?

aaaand we're back again. Sorry this took so long.

So let's get the rest of the basic shit out of the way:

a workbench...

a furnace and a door.

I suppose that's it for basic accommodation, if you guys think I need anything else, please let me know.

I guess that's it, since I've gotten a shelter built, lit it and now just have to wait out the nighttime zombie rush.
    Knock out the dirt walls in the background with a hammer and put wood walls, stone walls or something in. Enemies can spawn on dirt walls.