If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"The media".

edited 2011-10-27 07:52:32 in Politics
[tɕagɛn]
Is is even possible to come up with a more vauge term than this? I'm getting annoyed how some* Republicans just throw this term out there and don't ever expand on it. *: Because I bet someone is going to yell about "making blanket statments

Comments

• Yeah. You see this being done a lot in the media.
  • By "media" they mean "not Fox News".
  • No rainbow star
    That would be my dad v.v;
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^Pretty much.

It's kind of funny seeing Fox News, and to a lesser extent MSNBC, pretend they aren't owned by huge megacorps and don't have a gigantic control of what many Americans see.
  • MSNBC and Fox are in the same boat?

My dad calls MSNBC a "radical-left wing hellhole".
  • Yeah but your dad also called Lenin a crazy dictator and called your mum a horrible wife. Probably not the best person to be seeking advice from :P
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    No, MSNBC and FOX aren't in the same boat; it's just that MSNBC's commentary and extra shows tend to feature left-leaning commentators and content, and that is conceptually similar to how FOX features a lot of conservatives commentators and reporting.
  • edited 2011-10-27 13:23:53
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^MSNBC is left-leaning yes, but the engage in sensationalism and mud-slinging as well, though hardly to the extent Fox does. 
  • No rainbow star
    Ban all media everywhere. THAT'LL prevent biases!
  • edited 2011-10-27 13:27:40
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    You know when there was no media bias?

The Dark Ages.

I think we should go back to the Magna Carta!
  • When a left-wing politician says "The media", they mean "the lords of property and their hired toadies and bum-lickers" (actually George Orwell more or less used those words).

When a right-wing politician says "The media", they mean "the godless liberal clique with its whining cheerleaders and prating fellow-travellers."

And yet it's the same industry.

• I'm more inclined to agree with George Orwell in most cases, but media mostly exists to pander to its target demographic (especially Internet-based media, though I might have the cause and effect reversed).
  • ^^^ "No way, that town crier is totally a shill for our feudal masters!"
    You just hate impartial journalism because you're a witch!
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Are we SURE she's a witch? Is there a way to test?
    Throw him in the pond, duh. If he dies he's a noble Christian. if he survives he's a witch and we burn him at the stake.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ But humans float! Heck, that DUCK over there floats!
    Humans don't float without witchcraft you fool. Haven't you heard our priest speak?
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    ICALASARI IS THE WITCH.
  • You can change. You can.
    And then a thread on Media became a Monty Python quoting thread.

there's a relevant XKCD comic.
  • edited 2011-10-27 15:55:46
    Loser
    AHR,
    Yeah. You see this being done a lot in the media.

This might sound weird, but I think you are actually quite right about that. I have definitely seen members of media outlets criticize other outlets for bias within a media broadcast or written article. Sometimes, they even criticize so-called "media watchdogs" who were criticizing the media outlet which now is critiquing the watchdog's critique of that outlet. After a while, the whole thing just starts confusing me.

captainbrass,

Yep, while I have definitely heard people complain about conservative criticisms of the "mainstream media," they are not uncommonly accompanied by complaints about how the media is too "corporatist."

It also bugs me when some people act like the American public is full of complete fools who are easily manipulated to vote for a certain candidate (whether it be Pres. Obama, Pres. Bush, or whomever). First, I think it is quite inaccurate (if not outright offensive and elitist) to say that most people are idiots.

Second, from what I hear, one actually has to pay decently close attention to change one's views based on media broadcasts (i.e. you need to consume media to be affected by it). Yet, at the same time, the people who pay the closest attention to news tend to already have their minds made up, are unlikely to change them, and often watch media outlets that reinforce their views. While the people in the middle may be affected by news outlets on political issues, I do not believe that kind of thing tends to decide elections.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^ But I weigh more than a duck!
  • "It also bugs me when some people act like the American public is full of complete fools who are easily manipulated to vote for a certain candidate (whether it be Pres. Obama, Pres. Bush, or whomever). First, I think it is quite inaccurate (if not outright offensive and elitist) to say that most people are idiots."

This may be anecdotal, but I tend to notice a lot more Americans on the 'Net acting like the world revolves around the USA than any other country's citizens. Of course, there are a hell of a lot more Americans on the 'Net, but I do tend to believe US citizens tend to be easily indoctrinated into their national myths (we saved Europe's ass in World War II, we are the policemen of the world, etc.). And of course there's the fact that they are the most influential country in the world culture-wise, which means every other country at least knows the US exists.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >It also bugs me when some people act like the American public is full of complete fools who are easily manipulated to vote for a certain candidate (whether it be Pres. Obama, Pres. Bush, or whomever). First, I think it is quite inaccurate (if not outright offensive and elitist) to say that most people are idiots. 

From personal experience I wouldn't say the general opinion here is that you are all idiots, however your politics seem very focussed on the showmanship and PR of the two parties rather than the issues, as you say support x because he is a republican/democrat rather than the issues raised.

(This still occur5s in the UK but it seems so much more in your face and obvious in the US.)
  • edited 2011-10-28 15:04:07
    Loser
    Abyss_Worm/IanExMachina,

I actually was not even thinking about foreign opinion of Americans when I typed that. I mainly mentioned the idea that some people believed the majority of Americans were fools because I have heard Americans say as much in order to explain how a candidate they did not like was elected president.

This may be anecdotal, but I tend to notice a lot more Americans on the 'Net acting like the world revolves around the USA than any other country's citizens.

I have had a similar experience and I think you are right about American influence in world culture helping to explain that phenomenon. Still, I feel like it can be pretty annoying when people just assume that you are American online for the same reasons that most assumptions are problematic (i.e. they generalize and do not respect individuality).

From personal experience I wouldn't say the general opinion here is that you are all idiots, however your politics seem very focused on the showmanship and PR of the two parties rather than the issues, as you say support x because he is a republican/democrat rather than the issues raised.

I wonder if that aspect of the American political system is due to the fact that it is very candidate-centered rather than party-centered like other, parliamentary systems.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > This might sound weird, but I think you are actually quite right about
    that. I have definitely seen members of media outlets criticize other
    outlets for bias within a media broadcast or written article. Sometimes,
    they even criticize so-called "media watchdogs" who were criticizing
    the media outlet which now is critiquing the watchdog's critique of that
    outlet. After a while, the whole thing just starts confusing me.

Yo dawg, I heard you like media criticism, so I had the media critique the critique of media and then I got some internet forumites to post about it so you can be confused by criticism of criticism of criticism.

> It also bugs me when some people act like the American public is full of
    complete fools who are easily manipulated to vote for a certain
    candidate (whether it be Pres. Obama, Pres. Bush, or whomever). First, I
    think it is quite inaccurate (if not outright offensive and elitist) to
    say that most people are idiots.

Yeah, a lot of people who might or will bother to vote have made up their minds, actually, more so if the political scene is highly polarized.

> I have had a similar experience and I think you are right about American
    influence in world culture helping to explain that phenomenon. Still, I
    feel like it can be pretty annoying when people just assume that you
    are American online for the same reasons that most assumptions are
    problematic (i.e. they generalize and do not respect individuality).

Well, if you're online and actually posting on a message board, chances are you're a young adult (late teens or early twenties) male living in the United States and in the middle-class or higher.