If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Some people's whiny attitudes

2»

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Catharsis has no need to be negative, even if human nature guides it in that direction, Juan Carlos.
  • edited 2011-10-23 16:35:08
    You can change. You can.
    I've grown to dislike it, although I do it sometimes, because I feel that my opinion matters and that I should give it out. 

^Catharsis + Rage + Resentment, though...
    Sadly, I cannot disagree with that reasoning.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    It's kinda sad that /b/ is taken as a representation of 4chan as a whole. Some of the other boards there are pretty great.
  • You can change. You can.
    In a way, many of /b/'s attitudes are representative of 4Chan. Except they're exaggerated on /b/ (The trolling, the reaction images, the memes and so on)
    That's true. The difference being that they're obnoxious on /b/, but sort of charming on, say, /tg/.
    Yeah, although most boards are not exactly what you should be looking for if you want a serious discussion on, say, what tv show or anime you should watch.
    I just want a place where I can talk about Akai Chapurin and Hachi no Chavo!
    ^^ I'd even disagree with that. I've seen plenty of brilliant conversations on 4chan. Sure, they're outnumbered by shitposts and trolling, but there's a lot of irreverent wisdom in there if you're patient and ask the right questions.
  • edited 2011-10-23 17:02:14
    ^^ I know, right?

^^ I'd even disagree with that. I've seen plenty of brilliant conversations on 4chan. Sure, they're outnumbered by shitposts and trolling, but there's a lot of irreverent wisdom in there if you're patient and ask the right questions. 

the problem is that sometimes there are very dedicated trolls. 

Also, /a/ likes Haruhi, therefore, their opinion is invalid. 
    Haruhi's fine, but damn, this was derailed fast.
  • edited 2011-10-23 17:10:06
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ >:|
    Never understimate IJBM's need to talk about animu.

por cierto, Hachi No Chavo todavia es el mejor Slice of Life de todos los tiempos, tiene que ser dicho.
  • /lit/ is quite good to get caricatures of author's styles without actually having to read them.
  • Also, /a/ likes Haruhi, therefore, their opinion is invalid.

/a/ likes Haruhi

/a/ likes

Blah blah, nowhere near a hivemind blah blah there are plenty of other reasons /a/ is shit blah.

As for the initial topic, I'm just going to repeat what I said in the other thread: there's got to be better ways to spend your weekend than bitching about TV Tropes.
    Come on, Noimporta, if you honestly think I wasn't trying to rile Alex up and make a serious statement, then you're clearly not paying attention.

Also, don chu know? The cool kinds spend their saturday nights doing nothing but bitching on the internet and watching Chinese cartoons.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well I dunno of any better place to put this than to make a new thread about it, and I really don't feel like doing that as that would seem to just reopen the shitcan.

About the TVT administration and moderators: Suppressing discussion about the site, its reputation, its status, its mission, etc..  I don't mean to make accusations about their being Orwellian--a damn lot of other people have already done that, and I don't believe it myself anyway.  I understand that the most likely reason for the mods' not wanting to deal with these discussions is because they frequently spout shitstorms filled with all manner of accusations, inanity, image macros, ragequit threats, and meaningful content...and I can also see how these issue would fall under "things not directly related to the mission of the site".  However, there is definitely meaningful content in there, which I believe would improve both the site's tangential and core aspects, and it would be really helpful if the mods and admins could project the image that you are open to serious, substantial discussions about these topics.

About those in the TVT userbase who want to improve things: Learn how to be convincing.  If you have something useful to say, present the right message to the right people in the right contexts.  For example, do not cite Something Awful.  You know that SA is not criticizing for constructiveness; you know that they're doing it for lulz; you know that the TVT leadership does not want to hear about what they have to say.  If you have such a meaningful point, you should just say it and explain it yourself, without referencing SA.  Try to frame your message in the context of the mission of the site.  Also, don't bring up these concerns where they can be confused with other issues (such as importing drama and such).  I know that the TVT mods are difficult to deal with, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to talk to them, as long as you do so productively, not whining.  And last but not least, know when to stop--that is, when someone doesn't want to be bugged by you about a certain issue anymore.

About other people in the TVT userbase: Please, when these topics are discussed, stop posting image macros, stop posting response videos, stop threatining to ragequit, stop threatening violence against the mods/admins, and generally if it's not something that's contributing productively to the discussion (i.e. helping us find solutions to problems, not just expressing emotion because you feel oh-so-angry/disappointed/whatever), please shut the fuck up.

About the SA commenters: I know that some of you genuinely want to improve TVT, some of you just want to pick on it, and some of you don't care either way and are in it for the lulz.  Well, for those of you who want to improve the site, here's your chance to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Go somewhere that's not SA, get together with non-SA TVT people who want to improve the site, and come up with a set of realistic goals for improving TVT and practical solutions to achieve them.  Now if the admins are going to say "Well it's just a bunch of stupid shit coming from SA again", you can rightly say that what you have is not stupid shit coming from SA again.

To everyone who wants to improve the site: I know it's not possible to raise these issues directly at this time.  The only advice I can really give is this: Make sure you have a plan for what you're going to say and how you're going to say it, and make sure that you stay humble, level-headed, open-minded, and amiable when you talk to a mod or admin about these issues.
    About those in the TVT userbase who want to improve things: Learn how to be convincing. If you have something useful to say, present the right message to the right people in the right contexts. For example, do not cite Something Awful. You know that SA is not criticizing for constructiveness; you know that they're doing it for lulz; you know that the TVT leadership does not want to hear about what they have to say. If you have such a meaningful point, you should just say it and explain it yourself, without referencing SA. Try to frame your message in the context of the mission of the site. Also, don't bring up these concerns where they can be confused with other issues (such as importing drama and such). I know that the TVT mods are difficult to deal with, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to talk to them, as long as you do so productively, not whining. And last but not least, know when to stop--that is, when someone doesn't want to be bugged by you about a certain issue anymore.

dude, we barely if ever quote SA, for more than obvious reasons. It has become a matter where saying shit like that is going to get you banned because Eddie will think you're a goon. Either that or just ignore you.

Honestly, at this point, this is Eddie's site, and if you don't like how he runs things, then there isn't much you can do. You can try and butt heads with him, but that'd be dumb, and he plain won't listen, so all you can really do is stay and survive the shit or leave for good. 

Also, there's a problem when you won't listen to a point because of it's source, instead of how rational it is.
  • edited 2011-10-24 19:40:42
    Loser
    vandro,

I think you made good point in your original post about being resentful. I can understand not liking a site, feeling like one does not fit in, and even believing that some of the attitudes there are quite juvenile. However, I still believe that when you leave that site it is impolite to more or less burn bridges and talk about how awful everyone there is. A big reason why I believe that is simply because I think most of the time people leaving sites is more of a question of different preferences than anything else.

Plus, that whole reaction sounds way too much like silly, pointless middle school gossiping to me. I really disliking picking on individual people, let alone whole communities, especially since such treatment is using only based on the very limited experience one has had with those people or groups.

• edited 2011-10-25 09:46:10
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    vandro, in the OP you said exactly what I wanted to say in another thread.

Sadly, I can barely claim to be better, as it didn't leave me unaffected. I lost quite some respect for nearly everyone involved in that mess. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that anne's ban was really just a result of Fast Eddie being too hasty. Sure, Bobby may vouch for that, but he isn't FE and can't know for sure (and if I were in Bobby's place, even if I were convince that FE was just throwing a tantrum, I had done the same, just to get the mess under control).

Anyway, since then I mostly stay away from TV Tropes and IJBM, although I will probably still visit TV Tropes at training (it's a pretty good time killer). The good thing about it is that I visit another site, I neglected, more and actually watch anime that I neglected too (although it's only Gurren Lagann, so far).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think that Eddie could have been "throwing a tantrum", but I think the story that he just never even knew Anne is more plausible.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    It also reminds me a lot of Altoid's ban over the "faggot" thread. FE clearly never even read the OP, otherwise he would have known that it was just a joke.