If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Some people's whiny attitudes

edited 2011-10-23 14:46:12 in Webspace
He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
I think this may technically count as importing drama, but I am genuinely bugged by this attitude; "TvTropes suck, its community sucks, their staff sucks, it deserves hate and resentment and bitterness", what bothers me the most is not that their points aren't true, the site has a lot of problems from the staff to the general community feel, but that doesn't give anyone the right to act like a twat, a resentful and specially unfunny twat, at that. 

Hey you can dislike it, but hate it? It's a site, not a living thing, it won't just collapse under the weight of your ill-intentioned thoughts at it, even if we go to the point of hating contributors, moderators or forumites, I simply cannot grasp how could someone act so utterly childish and simply throw a tantrum or act so bitter as if they changed their blood for spite. As far as I know, neither(I don't like to avoid giving names)  English Ivy nor Mijhal are children, neither is kinkajou or anne with their passive aggression. Really, I am tired of this attitude, simply because, well, hating on something doesn't give anyone the right to act like a fucking twat. So please guys can someone tell me why do people act like twats? is it cool and hip now?

Comments

• Going off of my own experiences with hatred, it might be a high.

To complain, to demonize, and to have others back you up, it's a thrill.

Or, I could be a freak that just really enjoys hating specific things.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Doesn't make it right or proper.
  • Oh, definitely not. I am in the same boat. Just rambling about why it might be there.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    Some people just want to improve it. Ignoring the problems and shoving them under the rug won't do that.
  • I do not think that is the situation being referred to. This is probably a direct result of the recently locked thread.
  • Feels good, man.
  • edited 2011-10-23 15:13:47
    Diet NEET
    Is the OP some profound attempt at meta-humour? Cos while I agree that the ban thread yesterday started as a petty circlejerk of Hatorade, it calmed down a lot afterwards, while the opening post of this thread could use some butthurtsectomy. I'd think it be a lot more productive if it was re-edited a bit.
  • edited 2011-10-23 15:16:08
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    There's wanting to improve a site, and then there is acting with resentment, milos, I am talking about the latter, not the former.

Nope, it is not an attempt at meta-humor, if you had cared to read the second paragraph, I am not just refering to the locked thread's maker, but to other people as well who have been acting really hateful for months. About the re-edit thing, is there a better word for twat? It does sound childish.
    The former could easily be mistaken for the latter, if badly worded. I think that some who really hate the place wouldn't bother to post there at all.
    I disagree, someone who doesn't bother to post at all is indifferent, not hateful. 
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^ Twit?
  • I read the second paragraph already. Doesn't change that your whole post still sounds pretty whiny, which is a tad weird in the light of the thread title.

I'd chop it down a bit, edit out the specific call-outs and the namecalling and cut out a significant portion of the second part to replace it with a general you-are-overreacting-it-is-just-a-site-on-the-interbuttz.

About it sounding whiny, hmmm, I guess it is a side effect of being a complaint thread, even if I trim it it is still a complaint, and will sound whiny still.

About the name-calling, I disagree with the thought, not because I don't agree that a general you is better, but because I can only speak of those I've seen acting like that, I won't speak for other experiences but mine.
  • edited 2012-02-19 03:22:02

e.

• ...who are you?
  • edited 2012-02-19 03:22:40

e.

• No, I mean, who are you on tv tropes?
  • edited 2012-02-19 03:22:24

e.

• The negative aspects were always there, some solvable, some inherent in the site set-up. They didn't become a problem until people made them a problem due to shifting interests in the userbase. People somehow want a way to dial back their disillusionment, instead of adopting the /b/ mantra: it was always shit.
    Yeah, I don't think that /b/'s level of quality is something to strive for.
  • I don't think that was what IA was saying.
    He meant that people shouldn't see things from nostalgia-tinted glasses. And accept that there were always bad aspects
    Maybe. Still, /b/ has its reputation for a reason. Some things we cannot change, but we can't know that before we actually try.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-23 16:29:23
    Take the good, leave the bad.

No need to leave everything behind because of the bad. That would just be narrow minded, and dripping with ad hominem implications.
  • edited 2012-02-19 03:22:52

e.

• You can change. You can.
    People are angry. And it helps that for a long time, most of these people were there, building up resentment and anger for so long about TvT, so when they have a way to express catharsis...well, they take it and use it.

It's human nature, sadly.
  • edited 2012-02-19 03:23:12

e.

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-10-23 16:34:19
    JC: It's why I'm glad I have very few places to express my hatred of certain things. I have no desire to give into that type of catharsis. It's far more unhealthy, to me, to get used to such a feeling.

DD: I was referring to /b/, in this case. They have their bad points, but there are a few good things that can be taken from it, that should not be ignored solely because of the bad.