If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Marriage

edited 2011-10-22 15:29:52 in Philosophy

(This is a thread about marriage, not all two-person romantic unions. There's a reason I put this in philosophy instead of meatspace)

The idea of marriage bugs me partly because the idea of having to go through the associated ritual rather repulses me, and partly because the idea of a romantic relationship being institutionalized also repulses me. Admittedly, I am still quite ignorant about the alternatives, but so far, if I were to get into a relationship, I would rather it be something along the lines of free love rather than a binding contract.

Comments

• I'm on my second marriage. It's been pretty good so far. But yes, it's quite pointless.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    In the United States, at least, marriage has a shitton of useful legal benefits attached to it, so it's not entirely pointless.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    My main issue with it rituals-wise is that engagement rings absolutely must be diamond because DeBeers said so.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I thought of jokingly saying that someone should use that several hundred dollar Green Lantern collector's ring, but I imagine someone's seriously done this.
  • Okay, this is another one of those viewpoints that's too left-wing for me...
  • edited 2011-10-22 16:02:12
    ^^Well, at least that person would have imbued personality into it. Doesn't that make it more meaningful than a generic trinket?
  • edited 2011-10-22 16:03:11
    ^^^ -cough, cough-

Chagen: Care to elaborate?
  • Conductor: Marriage is a such an established part of society that seeing someone oppose it is....quite shocking.

Also, I love marriage, but I'm an idealist too, so...
    Marriage was born out of political creation and making sure you knew who your heir was rather than any romantic reasons. The idea of romantic love leading to marriage is a relatively recent phenomenon.

^^^Wasn't saying so. I just wouldn't get engaged with a GL ring.
    What does that have to do with being left-wing?
  • Marriage is a bit silly. I mean I'm married right now, but me and Ellie were already sleeping together, more or less living together and we got a dog so getting married made no difference.

But she did give me a red lantern ring as my wedding band, so that's one benefit.
    I'm a true conservative when it comes to romance. I conquer a nation and then take the former king's wife and all his concubines.
  • edited 2011-10-22 16:30:50
    ^^^Abolishing marriage tends to be associated with certain strains of feminist thought, especially those associated with anarchism.
  • By left-wing he probably meant liberal (that is, it opposes maintaining a traditional institution).
  • Eh, marriage may be arbitrary but I rather like it.

Just because it's arbitrary doesn't mean we ought to get rid of it.
    ^Yeah, I definitely don't think it should be abolished. I just think certain traditions relevant to it should be.
    I'm not for abolishing it, I just don't think it should be taken as something expected of people to do.
  • edited 2011-10-22 19:53:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I'm a true conservative when it comes to romance.

Hmm, this person probably believes in true love, or is a cynic about true love.

> I conquer a nation and then take the former king's wife and all his concubines.

...oh.
  • You can change. You can.
    Marriage annoys me because it feels unnecessary. And the fact that there are legal benefits to it makes it arguably worse. Of course, it can be seen in a sorta romantic perspective ("We're one before the state") or something.
  • a little muffled
    Depending on how cynical I'm feeling, marriage either seems incredibly silly or incredibly romantic.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    "The idea of marriage bugs me partly because the idea of having to go
    through the associated ritual rather repulses me, and partly because the
    idea of a romantic relationship being institutionalized also repulses
    me."

Said ritual is what separates a solid relationship from dating and such.

Even if there were no institution, I betcha that such ritual type things would readily form anyways. It provides a feeling of security between lovers, provided that they chose a GOOD significant other.

Of course, foolish mistakes abound; hence why there are people who think marriage is pointless.
    Said ritual is what separates a solid relationship from dating and such.

Being a solid relationship is what separates a solid relationship from dating.
  • ^^ But...by that logic gays in America can't have a "solid relationship".
  • ^ Damn right you can't, you freaks.

I see marriage in the same way I see homosexuality, fetishes and vegetarianism and that is "Do what ever the hell you want because I really don't care just don't try to make me do it too".
  • I stand on Grendel's shoulders
    People who have been living together as a couple for enough time are considered legally married by the state of Connecticut and receive all the legal benefits, or so I hear.

If that's indeed true, then that makes actual marriage pointless save for the ceremony.
  • I see marriage in the same way I see homosexuality, fetishes
    and vegetarianism

So you've been gay twice?
  • No, but I've eaten two carrots and there was that time back at camp...
  • $80+ per session
    Carrots are too hard for me.
  • @AnneBeeche: That's most of the US. Or Australia, Canada and the UK for that matter. It's called a "common law marriage", and the thing about them is it only triggers if the participants actually regard themselves as married.