If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Juan's comic liveblog thread

edited 2011-10-19 00:58:49 in Liveblogging
You can change. You can.
So, as some (Read: Everyone) of you may know, I'm a comic fan. I love western comics, whether we're talking superheroes or more serious stuff, I think they're probably one of my favorite mediums out there. So, I've decided to start liveblogging some of them. 

Most people would go with a Linkara-ish angle to this and review horrible or dumb comics for the sake of showing exactly what I like about comics in a roundabout way. But I've decided to cut the middleman and go for the good ones. Most of the time, anyway. 

See, most of the comics I'll liveblog here won't just be stuff which I really like, but reads I find to be very very entertaining and, most importantly, demonstrative of either trends in the comic book world or overall quality of a genre or franchise. The reason behind this is that many people have had a problem with comics and it's the fact that it's a relatively hard and insurmountable medium to get used to, both because of how many people think that "Superheroes = All of the comics. All of them" or simply are not interested in the medium because they can't find the "good stuff" in between all the superheroes who already have superior movies, anyway

So, due to the request of a good friend of mine, I've decided to liveblog Daytripper. I'll give you guys a little overview of it before I start liveblogging for the sake of a good opening

Daytripper is, to be honest, the first comic I've read in quite a long time. I quit comics a while ago, due to burnout after so many DC events and lack of interest in Marvel due to how tough it was to enter into the actual current of events and not feel bad about how Quesada had ruined things. That plus Vertigo comics becoming nothing but one shots and dull stories that didn't seem to hold my interest, not to mention that Fables had overstayed its welcome. All of this, plus university pretty much made me realize the comics medium wasn't the same I got into years back when I picked up a Batman:Year One copy and I had no interest in hunting old runs and stories due to how relatively hard they were to find in the internet

So when I say that Daytripper made me want to read comics again, I mean it. It's probably, or at least, right now, up there with my favorite Vertigo comics. Probably because death is a theme that has interested me a bit too much out of late. Or well, not death, really, but how death itself affects out outlook on life. And that's what daytripper is actually about, beyond the obvious death themes and motifs. Life. how we live and what we do with our lives. The relationships we make, the way we affect them and the way they affect us, and how, at the end, there's nothing that matters beyond living a life that we're proud of. Because that's all that really matters. Whether you're a shoemaker or a CEO. Whether you end up as a succesful musician or as a homeless. all that matters is that you led the life you wanted to and tried to help the people around you. 

It's not a perfect exploration of these themes, and in fact, what I said probably just a applies to a teensy part of the book, as the book is also about family. And it's probably the main theme in the story, actually. But it's certainly the part that resonated with me the most.

So, well, true believers. Hope you're here when this party actually starts.

Comments