If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Guild Wars 2

edited 2011-10-17 19:37:17 in IJAM
$80+ per session
Thread renamed on account of awesome.

Comments

• I'd recommend Guild Wars.
  • $80+ per session
    I'm considering that and The Old Republic.

Also WoW.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Wait on Guild Wars 2. No subscription fees, and looks like it'll have the best combat in the genre.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'll play with you if you go WoW. :D

Or Guild Wars 2. I'll probably get that pretty soon after it comes out.
  • What INUH said. Also hopefully fewer balance issues than Guild Wars. >.>
  • $80+ per session
    It seems like it's going to be a duel between:

The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 for me.
    Yeah, that's looking like it's going to happen for me too.

Of course, I don't really have time for an MMO in the next couple months, so I guess Guild Wars 2 might be better-timed for me.
  • $80+ per session
    Same...

Also, I just looked up the very first Guild Wars 2 thing I've ever look up. A well made video called "Top 10 Reasons To Be Interested"

I'm already kind of hooked.

is that bad?
  • Not really.

What kind of things were on the list?
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:04:05
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, I've seen that video.

And yeah, it's a good reason to be hooked.

Apparently, there are well-done underwater civilizations large enough that they could be their own game, but small enough in comparison to the entire world that you could miss them entirely.
  • $80+ per session

Here's the video.

I only knew about the Free to Play thing.

This game looks, frankly, amazing.
  • My internet's kinda dead-ish until tomorrow, so I can't really watch it.

Honestly, all I've seen is the profession videos (elementalist puns...so bad), the hall of monuments inheritance (I get a free zombie chicken :D) and a lot of the story for the game and how it relates to the first game.
  • $80+ per session
    I know absolutely nothing about the series. I feel like binging on lore.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:11:14
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Definitely look at the combat. It plays out like an actual fight, rather than like two people poking each other until one falls over.
  • ^^ The lore's good, although some bits are kinda idiotic. Such as a bit of Nightfall's story where the heroes ask ancient undead warlord who nearly conquered the entire continent for help in exchange for letting him go free to rebuild his army.

...That continent isn't in Guild Wars 2.

^ From what I saw in the profession vids, it looks amazing.
    Another thing I'm looking forward to is the fact that it won't use traditional quests at all, in favor of events that actually cause things to happen.

So you might be hanging out in a village one day, when the village gets attacked. And if you and the other players don't get your shit together and save the village, it will actually be occupied on that server until some group of heroes get together and drive out the occupying forces.

Servers will really feel like communities, it seems.
  • $80+ per session
    Yeah, the combat is about actual dodging, blocking, parrying, etc. It was explained that there are no autohits

I also like that when he was explain Reason 4 - Art, he said that the fact that the game will NOT allow players to fly is actually a good thing. It gives a strong sense of the environments being imposing and expansive when you can't just fly over all of them.
  • ^^ Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case. Although I wouldn't mind some traditional questing. >.>

^ Yeah. Also, one thing that I thought was amazing in terms of how positioning actually means something other than "you're trying to shoot an arrow through a pillar, stop that" this time was the Phoenix spell. So awesome...
    Not a fan of traditional quests. As long as there's something to do, I won't miss them.

Apparently, it will be possible to set an area on fire, then shoot arrows through the area, turning them into flaming arrows.
  • Fair enough.

Yeah, that sounds like it'll be great too.

I've gotta admit, I am gonna kinda dislike the "Your character that you put a lot of time into is well and truly dead. Also responsible for the current state of the world. Oh, and at some point one of his decendants had sex with an Asura."
  • a little muffled
    From everything I've heard about GW2, it sounds good but also like they really shouldn't have called it a sequel.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:34:34
    $80+ per session
    It's official. this is now on my must get list around with Arkham City and Sonic Generations.
  • $80+ per session
    "They've designed areas for world PVP right from level one, so if you wanted, you could max a character solely with PVP"

Must. Get.
  • ^^^How do you mean?

^Awesome.
  • $80+ per session
    "Number 1 Reason: No Tanks. No Healers. No DPS."

lol
    Wow, you renamed the thread.
  • $80+ per session
    Verily.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:45:03
    a little muffled
    @Tachikaze: I mean, they took a game where you can only play as a human, and then made an expansion introducing a ton of new races just so the sequel could have more races. Not to mention that the gameplay is completely different and missing a lot of the main selling points of the first game, such as the all-instanced PvE world, low max level, etc.

I may try the game out anyway because I loved the first one and hey, no subscription fee, but more or less the main reason I played Guild Wars for so long was that it wasn't really an MMO, which cannot be said for GW2. It could be the best MMO ever, and that would still sound worse to me than GW1.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:52:51
    Is it really a bad thing that the world's not going to be completely instanced. Well, okay, it's a big selling point for the original game. Is the increased level cap a problem? Leveling up was always second to acquiring new skills in Guild Wars, in my opinion at least. Has that changed? Seriously, I'm not sure.

The game shares the world and continues from the original lore. Something they couldn't really do in Guild Wars.

And I don't really it as a bad thing that they made more races, although I would've preferred centaurs and dwarves...or some other races that actually existed prior to EoTN.

Plus, the gameplay needed to be changed, the way it was being done was impossible to balance. Break one combo and you create two more or render an entire profession nigh-unusable.
  • edited 2011-10-17 19:55:12
    a little muffled
    I liked the fact that it was completely instanced as it allowed me to play with only the people I wanted to. I liked the low level cap as it meant most of the game was spent at the max level which was way more fun than being at a low level and grinding. These were some of the most unique things about the original, the things that set it apart from other online games, and throwing them out to make it more like WoW really rubs me the wrong way.

I get that the game is set in the same world, but they did the "thousands of years later" cop-out to make it so they don't have to bother actually making it feel like the same world.

I don't mind there being multiple races, but the way three of them just showed up out of nowhere in EotN so they could be in the sequel seemed really forced. Especially since they didn't even include races like dwarves that actually appeared in the original campaigns...