If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Astrology scam

edited 2011-10-15 03:32:30 in General

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    How the hell do you fall for something like that?
  • The title implies there's part of astrology that isn't a scam.

I like "Calgarians", who sound as if they should turn up on a space ship from a remote planet entirely covered by ocean and announce that they "Come in peace", as opposed to just living in Calgary.

• ^There is. A lot of astrologists genuinely believes in astrology, so when they offer said services it's not a scam, it's simply offering a service for money. If the people who buy a horoscope also believe in it, it's a deal where both buyer and selller get something out of it. Sure, I think it's hogswash, but that doesn't make it a scam. For it to be a scam it has to actively try to cheat money out of people.

Anyways, this is just really...wov. That has got to be one of the most obvious scams I've ever heard of, surprised that it worked at all.
  • edited 2011-10-15 04:23:09
    I like how, in Discworld, if you used the exact time and location of someone's birth, their horoscope would be very accurate. 
  • So what's the difference between this scam and actual astrology? It's not like the thing actually does anything.
  • The difference being that the scammers know it's all garbage?

But then I'm sure some legit astrologists do...
  • No rainbow star
    Silly people, the rice and paper is GOOD LUCK rice and paper! :D
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    At least it's fairly niche in the U.S. In India this sort of crap is so popular that a famous Astrologer gets a TV show on national television! He even takes callers asking for education, relationship, spiritual advice! It's fucking ridiculous.
  • Pretty sure they've got shows like that in the us too. They just air during the dead hours where no one's watching tv.
  • We had televangelists and the like, which I guess is sort of on the same level.