If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This thing I just saw posted on another forum.

edited 2011-10-08 11:07:39 in Webspace
[tɕagɛn]
"It's funny how similar everyone's answers are. "Kindness, charity, blah blah blah." Honor is a concept of the weak. It's a label they give to self-disserving actions to make them feel good about themselves. "I turned her down because she was drunk. If she still wants to have sex with me when she's sober, then I'll consent." "I confessed to my professor that I cheated on the final. I'll have to re-take the class, but it was worth it."" I dunno about you, but the bolded part sounds like thinly vieled rape apolgism, when you combine it with the "honor is weak" and "disserving" parts.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I like the counterargument in favour of honour, which essentially argues that giving something up is a sign of strength moreso than weakness. It implies the capacity to make do with less, for whatever definition of "make do" you like.
  • @Alex: What about the concept of "Easier to give than to get"

How does that fit within your worldview?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    So wait, someone is weak because they won't date rape a woman?

In any case, I believe in honor in my situations, but it's a word that is thrown around way too much.
  • edited 2011-10-08 11:29:33
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ It really depends what implications one wants to read into the phrase.

Speaking purely logically, though, one must acquire something to give it. Unless it's physical labour of some description, which is time and energy.

Although I'm only a materialist in a political sense. That is, I think the distribution of resources is a big deal on a macro scale, but that's for the purpose of facilitating good lives. I could expand, but it gets even more subjective.
  • What exactly is self-disserving about turning down a drunk woman or wanting to take a test on your own merits?

If a gal's so sloshed she wouldn't consider doing you when sober, the sex is bound to suffer and the dents it will give in your rep will make scoring dudettes down the line a hassle(hurrdurr can only get them cos they be drunk).

In case of the test we don't know enough about the context, but the paranoia of being found out eventually(the further you get in your academic career the worse) and the risk of suddenly being found lacking in a vital skill in your job because you cheated your way through a test more than merit turning yourself in.

• I suspect the guy making the comment Chagen quoted was either trolling or a Nietschze Wannabe -

"I scorn your feeble human concepts of honour, for I am mighty Zorg!"

• Or an Objectivist.

"I confessed to my professor that I cheated on the final. I'll have to re-take the class, but it was worth it."

Of course, that begs the question of why one cheated in the first place.