If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This ad campaign

edited 2011-09-29 19:08:20 in Politics
But you never had any to begin with.

Comments

• edited 2011-09-29 19:12:45
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    What's it trying to say, anyway? "Don't teach me about transgenderism, it's too confusing for my delicate child mind"? 
  • No rainbow star
    My only complaint is why the fuck K-3 even needs to know this stuff

I could see an argument for grade 6, but K-3? The hell?
  • edited 2011-09-29 19:20:03
    I don't even, like, understand it.

^ I dunno. If someone told me when I was 7 that feeling like a girl trapped in a boy's body was a "valid" way to feel, that might have helped me.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ That seems more like something a counsellor should handle
  • a little muffled
    Religious conservatives campaigning against something they don't like by claiming that it hurts children? How novel!

I'm kinda surprised that it's in Canada though. I didn't even know schools in Ontario were teaching that stuff now; good for them.
  • And of course they spell it "transexual" too.

That always irritates me for some reason
  • a little muffled
    At least "transexual" more or less sounds right, but "trangendered"?
  • Thankfully I've never encountered "trangendered." Or if I have, I probably assumed it was a typo.
  • a little muffled
    It's in the poster.
  • ...It is.

How the hell did my eyes skip over that one?
  • No rainbow star
    For some reason my brain thinks Traingendered when I read Trangendered

And I am not sure what to make of that =/
  • Ooh, being traingendered sounds fun!

I'm not quite sure how it would work, but still!
  • edited 2011-09-30 15:44:35
    Loser
    That ad itself confuses me, but maybe I am just particularly dense. It certainly does not seem like the most direct advertisement I have ever seen.

I tend to agree with Icalasari that including this kind of material in 1st grade or earlier might not be the best idea. I think that gender issues can often be pretty complex and one may need a certain amount of maturity to fully grasp them. Trying to explain to a young child what "sexist stereotypical behavior" and transgenderism are seems like it would be pretty tough, but maybe I am underestimating kids these days. I just wonder if this kind of curriculum is really going to help grade
    school kids understand themselves and different people better.

Central Avenue's experience does lead me to believe that if kids have questions about that kind of thing, counselors should be able to talk to them about it though.
  • "The Institute for Canadian Values" sounds like something South Park would make up. You can practically write the jokes in your sleep...
  • I agree with everything louie said. this ad just looks confusing to me. :/