If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not enough old school film buffs on this forum

edited 2011-09-29 18:49:09 in Wonderful posts
You can change. You can.
I sometimes feel a little lonely, throwing out old movie references that I know nobrowncoat but me even gets. Everyone here seems to be a manga fan or a TV junkie or a gamer freak (which wouldn't be so bad except I've met nobody who was getting into gaming during the Colombovision console era) and when they are a film buff its the same deal as with games--they're talking about PS3 or X-Box 360 games I can't even play because I'm broke as shit.

I mean yeah, you all know what "We have to go deeper" is about and probably know where the "ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER" meme is from, but if I made a throwaway reference to a movie that tried to revolutionize film language without using intertitles, or if I told you that you should provide the prose poems and I shall provide the war, would you know what I'm talking about? Would you?

*Goes to wallow in coffee and coke, like the good Colombian I am*

Comments

• And for some reason, I am way more sympathetic.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    or if I told you that you should provide the prose poems and I shall provide the war

Citizen Kane
  • You can change. You can.
    you googled that
  • $80+ per session
    Give me a couple years, Juan.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    you googled that

D;

But it was just on TV on Tuesday
    Give me a couple years, Juan.

TOO LATE >:(

But it was just on TV on Tuesday

lucky

people here don't even remember anything past the eighties

fine, less obvious references, then.

"The stuff that dreams are made of"

yeah, totally less obvious. Totally. >.>
    I can't say what movie it's from

but

it's referencing this quote:

"We are such stuff,
    As dreams are made on, and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep."

From Shakespeare's play The Tempest.
    Yup, it definetly is a reference to a great Shakespeare play

Come on, it's Bogart. This is an easy one
    The only way I can recognize a quote from a movie is if that movie is one of the LOTR films, Paranormal Activity, or was playing in the background while I was eating dinner D:
  • They're somethin' else.
    This is the only snowclone that deserves my attention.
    THEN ANSWER, YE FAG
  • They're somethin' else.
    I've spoke about the matter more than once in IJBM. You post a classic movie thread, the response is somewhat lukewarm, not totally ignored. You post a 5 year old film, be it mainstream or independent, and lo and behold NO RESPONSES EVER
    THAT'S NOT AN ANSWER
    Welp, we all know critics prefer the tears of the disparaged to the finest wines. ^_^
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    people here don't even remember anything past the eighties

Perry Mason rocks.

While I'm not a "film buff" I actually do enjoy a lot of movies from before the 1980s. Dick Tracy (starring Ralph Byrd), King Kong, the original Godzilla (could never stand the sequels), a few Akira Kurosawa films, been watching the Basil Rathbone interpretation of Sherlock Holmes recently, and whenever a movie remake comes out I always always watch the original first (IJBM: That a lot of people don't know that Brendan Frasier's Bedazzled was a remake).

I've seen Citizen Kane, but not The Maltese Falcon or Casablanca (which deeply saddens me).
    Huh.

I expected you to notice the made up console first. xD

Honestly, I just did it because your post was too delicious to not snowclone.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Oh I noticed the "Colombovision," just that saying "oh ha ha I get the joke" isn't really my style.
  • edited 2011-09-30 02:21:14
    Clean your room little Billy

My knowledge of old cinema is a bit spotty, but I guess I could nerd out along with you.

• I wish there were a few older films, not to mention a few books that aren't fantasy novels. Come to think of it, that was also one of my issues with TV Tropes, but at least IJBM doesn't have a wiki to complain about as well. 
  • I'm Spartacus! 
  • i think old cinema was good but as the time spend everything growing as per their relative sector or subject. so new cinema is well and you say much well. i like to see very much new changes which coming as per time. in this way we are able to see new things and adopting too.
    I'm having so many problems parsing that sentence...
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Don't you see? It is genius!
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Let me rephrase that one for you, Juan (and Sam):

I think old cinema was good, but each aspect of the medium has grown over time. New cinema is good, too, and I like to see how the art form changes as time passes; this way, we can see how the medium evolves and how cultures trade influences.

I may have gone a little off the rails, but I think I got to the heart of the matter.

Ah. 

Well, yeah, agreed. Hell, I spend more time watching 2000 movies than old movies. Mostly because they're more relevant and blah blah blah.

But I feel that old movies are often dismissed on such shaky grounds as "It's black and white, therefore it sux"
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Dead on Arrival rocks no matter the era.
  • Good people don't end up here.
    Casablanca was the best thing ever. The Maltese Falcon was pretty awesome as well. I respect Citizen Kane for pioneering so many cinematographic techniques, but really, from the storytelling or characterization side of things I really don't understand why it receives so much praise given that it's basically a long way of telling one particular person "I probably would have liked you better when you were a kid." I've only seen five films from Hitchcock - The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, I Confess, Vertigo, and North By Northwest - and while none of these are films I know he's particularly known for all of them seemed to be pretty laughably formulaic except I Confess. I haven't ruled out that he might be as good as I keep hearing but so far he hasn't been very impressive. The Great Dictator was funny, but piecemeal garbage from a plot/character standpoint, but given the circumstances I'm inclined to give Chaplin some grace in that regard.

I don't remember what other 'old school films' I've seen. Those are just what come to mind.
  • I miss vintage WWII and Eastwood films.