If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I still have no idea if I'm an Atheist or a Deist.

edited 2011-09-28 14:42:16 in Philosophy
[tɕagɛn]
I'm pretty much on the edge of the two sides. On one hand, I have stopped caring about God so much that I really am more of an Apatheist at this point. On the other, I still stick to diesm for reasons I'm not really sure of. Well, there is the fear of going to hell for not believing, but, ironically, that is one of the things that is making me lean on the side of Atheism (no all-loving God would do such a thing) combined with shit in my life making me questioning why a Benevolent God would do these kinds of things to people (personal family stuff. I don't mention them because I don't like pushing my shit on other people) I first noticed this when I actually did something I never did before: Create a Pantheon for Full Auto that had nothing to do with ths Christian God (He doesn't even exist in Full Auto--the series takes an Atheistic "Divine Beings do not exist at all" view of the universe). Said Gods even existed in the story itself and were real. ....I don't really know where I'm going with this.

Comments

• Luckily, Christianity and Atheism aren't the only options. 
  • Erudite Meathead
    Beware of false dichotomies, Chagen.

With that said, you have plenty of time to figure that out, especially once you've gain more experiences in life. At our ages, we have a long way to go before we can really find what sort of things we feel are worthy of putting faith in.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Isn't "deism" the right spelling?
  • You can change. You can.
    Luckily, Christianity and Atheism aren't the only options. 

I should say, though, many of the other choices are not necessarily on the table. 

Anyway, blah blah who cares blah blah god doesn't exist blah blah agnostic atheism is where is at, blah blah time for you to figure it out blah blah lisztening is right blah blah machine guns blah blah david bowie

that's my whole contribution to the topic.
  • $80+ per session
    You spelled Deist wrong, Mr.Linguist.
  • Hm. I spelled it as if it was a German word.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Hm. I spelled it as if it was a German sword.

What I read.

in b4 predictabo
  • You can change. You can.
    oh, alex, will you stop thinking of your silly phallic objects and focus on the topic?
  • I've been both at different points, although mostly a Christian. A few years back I more or less woke up one morning and decided - "You know what, I can live without believing in God."

A few months later, I had a bad spell of what was either chronic anxiety or depression, and decided that no, actually, I couldn't. I knew I was getting better when I started going to church again. This is a terrible reason for believing in God by any rational measure, but it seems to work for me.

Anyway, the real lesson from my experience is probably - be consistent about it, whatever way you go. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ I said "in b4 predictabo". >:(
  • ...Is it weird that I knew who the OP would be just because of the random capitalization of "Atheist" and "Deist"?
  • No.  Since Chagen is pretty much the only person here who capitalizes words for no reason.
  • a little muffled
    He's also the only person here who doesn't know if he's an atheist or a deist, so it was obvious anyway.
  • Um. This is a very simple question really.

Do you believe in a divine entity, yes or no?

Also, as far as I know of, Deism has no concept of hell.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I view religion much the way I view fashion.

If the trends help you out that's great, but I prefer to find what works for me.
  • edited 2011-09-29 05:32:55
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Why do I have the feeling that Chagen knows about atheism just as much as about rationalism?

Hm. I spelled it as if it was a German word.
    That's a really awful excuse, you know.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Why do I have the feeling that Chagen knows about atheism just as much as about rationalism?

I wonder.
  • Not dissimilar to this one. This one is, technicallly, a tentative  deist, but sinse she has no idea which God she believes in and, frankly, does not care, she might as well be an atheist for all practical purposes.

Meanwhile, this one has several (currently 3, 4th is  under construction) Anthropomophic Personifications which she does not believe in, but regards as useful mental constructs. In case she needs someone to thank, ask, get mad at or ask existential questions.