If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The WPATH have changed the Standards of Care

edited 2011-09-27 18:18:22 in IJAM
But you never had any to begin with.
This article can explain it better than me.

Not much else to say really, other than "Yay!"

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Is that a worldwide thing, or just for the US?
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    Worldwide.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yes!
  • edited 2011-09-27 18:39:30
    You can change. You can.
    I wanna say congratulations, but it sounds condescending

I wanna say "wheeeee", but it sounds sarcastic

So...urm

--pats your backs--

--shrugs--

--thumbs up and leaves--
    (condescending)

There are now different standards for surgery, as well. For example, a transgender man who wants a hysterectomy no longer has to live one year as a male in order to receive the surgery. Likewise, a transgender woman who wants her testicles removed does not have to live one year as a female. 
  • You can change. You can.
    Last time I ever tried to be nice to you, you stabbed me. 

so sorry if i'm a bit reserved about it, thankyouverymuch
    I was just correcting your word choice D: I think condescendant is a Spanish word, condescending is an English word D:
  • edited 2011-09-27 18:45:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Transgender standards of care to linguistics in eight posts. Impressive.
    :3
    I was just correcting your word choice D: I think condescendant is a Spanish word, condescending is an English word D:

yup. i corrected it before leaving, but not before you clicked

damn ninja cat >:|
    Hehehe

More on-topic:

Psychotherapy is no longer a requirement to receive hormones and surgery, although it is suggested.

"It used to be a minimum amount of psychotherapy was needed. An assessment is still required but that can be done by the prescribing hormone provider," Bockting explained.

This is one of the biggest things I was worried about :D
    Question: When will it get implemented?
  • @topic:

This is one of the biggest things I was worried about :D
    Oh god, me too.

Juan: It's effective immediately.
  • ...Will this make it any easier for someone who is bigendered but biologically male to transition to living as female?

'Cause I might know someone like that
    CA: As is stated in the article: "allow for a broader spectrum of identities – they are no longer so binary."
  • edited 2011-09-27 19:14:44

COME HITHER, THREAD CORPSE!

Or in other words, here's the full PDF for Version 7.
    1.  Psychotherapy is not an absolute requirement for hormone therapy and surgery
    A mental health screening and/or assessment as outlined above is needed for referral to hormonal 
    and surgical treatments for gender dysphoria. In contrast, psychotherapy – although highly 
    recommended – is not a requirement. 
    The SOC do not recommend a minimum number of psychotherapy sessions prior to hormone 
    therapy or surgery. The reasons for this are multifaceted (Lev, 2009). First, a minimum number of 
    sessions tends to be construed as a hurdle, which discourages the genuine opportunity for personal 
    growth. Second, mental health professionals can offer important support to clients throughout all 
    phases of exploration of gender identity, gender expression, and possible transition – not just prior 
    to any possible medical interventions. Third, clients differ in their abilities to attain similar goals in 
    a specified time period.
  • Umm, this is good then?
    Yes.
    It means that we no longer need extended therapy before we can go on hormones and such. We do need to exhibit persistent gender dysphoria, but, well, I have that in the bag >_>
  • Things have gotten better at least ^_^

Takes your victories where you can. ~hug~
    They've gotten a lot better.

You do still need two referrals for major surgeries, but, to be honest, I can see where they're coming from with that. That's a major, irreversible process and they want to be as absolutely sure as they can be.
  • That's great! Especially from the scary stories I've heard...--shudders--