If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Welcome to Twin Peaks. Come for the beautiful falls, stay for your own fall to death.

edited 2011-09-23 02:05:55 in Liveblogging
You can change. You can.
Twin Peaks. A beautiful town in the north of the US. Untouched by urbanization and expansion, it's just a suburban town where people seem to lead perfect, untroublesome lives. Of course, like with every David Lynch work ever, this is entirely wrong. Welcome to one of the most infamously incomprehensible anime of all time. I gotta say, right way, that Twin Peaks' theme is great. It pretty much describes the show perfectly through music. It's a soothing tune, slow and almost romantic. But even then you can notice something wrong with it. Something dark and evil in the way it ends and fades away

So, after we see that theme, we see our first character in this big cast of fuck ups

Jocelyn Packard. Or, as I call her, the American Geisha. She is well...an asian with an American name. We'll see why later. A good thing about her, is thaat she doesn't fulfill Asian stereotypes, but she does play the tired archetype of the "defenseless widow" from soap operas. Which is probably intentional, beacuse in many ways, Twin Peaks is a soap opera. A twisted, criminalistic soap opera, but a soap opera nonetheless.

And of course, like in every soap opera, we have the couple of old "loving" couple.

oh, true love is in the air, definetly. The stuff poets dream of. When they realize that they're talentless hacks who won't get laid and would just be happy with a woman looking at them with desdain rather than just ignoring them, anyway.

These guys are the Martells. We'll see their role in Twin Peaks later. For now, we shall focus on the fact that Guy!Martell is going fishing

As he walks along the fog, he notices this

Something that looks like a relatively normal bag of trash, if you ask me. Of course, to Mr Martell, this means that HE SHALL PICK IT UP AND SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT. Or he just thinks it looks weird. So he gets closer.

By now it can be deduced it's a body, and everyone familiar with the premise (Read: Every human being ever) knows who's this. But the fact of the matter is that this still looks like a really big joint. Don't know if Mister Martell is a secret pothead, though. Or just very antidrugs, because the first thing he does when he sees this is run to report it.

When he does, we go to the police station, where we meet Lucy and Harry S Truman. Yes, that's his name. For real. This guy is actually deliberately named after Harry Truman. Probably to symbolize how he's a symbol of authority in Twin Peaks. 

They could have gone for Roosevelt and it would have been better. >:|

Lucy, on the other hand, tends to overexplain things. That's her quirk. And it's cute. By which I mean, fucking annoying. Ladies and gentlemen, we all acuse Haruhi of starting the recent moe trend where the character is cute because she stammers and stutters and we're supposed to go "awwww". I blame Lucy. 

lol jk, I Love Lucy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-yw7F5gNyn0/S24Cnam9ffI/AAAAAAAABcE/cbzvN3iQdfI/s400/val2.jpg" alt="image" />

Anyway, after this overly stretched scene (This words will be written a lot in this one entry, trust me.)  Harry takes his car and goes on his way, but not before asking Lucy to tell the right people to go up there with him. For a wildly loose definition of "right people". So, when he arrives and checks up the body, we see two new guys. The forensical guy and another cop. This cop is called Andy...and I think I can summarize him in one image.

http://i.imgur.com/sBMhv.jpg" alt="image" />

Simple and to the point. :D

Anyway, Andy can't stand bodies, due to the fact that he has the sensibility of a really wet sheet of paper. We're talking massively wet here. So, he leaves to cry his tears elsewhere, because, let's face it, nobody cares.

So, they roll her over and find out who she is.

http://i.imgur.com/sRWDb.jpg" alt="image" />

McGuffin! Plot Device and Mr Premise's daughter! It should be mentioned that in this scene, we hear Laura Palmer's theme, which is a beautifully haunting piano piece based around Twin Peaks' theme. Here

We then switch to Laura's mom calling her for breakfast, which obviously means er mom thought she was there last night and slept there. It's kinda sad as you know she's going to come back to see her daughter's bed and start to go into a panicky descent that will end up in total mental breakdown when she hears the news. And this breakdown is probably one of the best things on the pilot, to me.

In a way, this part of the show also shows how the show was visually inspired by Hitchcock.

http://i.imgur.com/OXvCg.jpg" alt="image" />

dem stairs <3

I'll take a break here and continue on in another post for readability and break-related purposes

Comments

• edited 2011-09-24 06:01:55
    You can change. You can.
    No comments? Oh well. I guess this is a pretty bad episode, anyway, and it's not as if I can skip to other parts. So I'm gonna try to blaze through it as quickly as possible.

So, Laura's mother realizes that her daughter is missing and starts asking people around if she was with them. She then finds out she's not in her boyfriend's house, nor with his boyfriend in football practice. So she keeps on callling.

We now move to the Twin Peaks resident hotel and see two men planning to take over Packard's Mill. These men are Leland Palmer, father of Laura and Benjamin Horne, Twin Peaks very own dickhead executive. He's your run of the mill high class asshole who doesn't give a shit about what (or who) he has to do in order to keep up his lifestyle. 

Anyway, we then see him trying to sell some territory to some icelanders. They seem to have a concern for air purity, but Mr Horne comforts them and tells them that the air in Twin Peaks is good quality

Anyway, after this meeting, Mr Palmer is called by Mrs Palmer, who's asking about Laura. And just in this moment, it's when Harry arrives to the hotel and gives the Palmers the bad news. They are devastated forever. 

So after this rather downer scene, we now move to a dinner. Where we meet this guy called Bobby who everyone talks about. We also meet Shelly and the owner of the dinner, Norma as well. Bobby decides to take Shelly home, but not before leaving an special song in the jukebox.

lol paedophillia. Sorta. Ephebophillia, actually, but we all know using that word these days is a surefire way of getting yourself killed, so.

If you have  been paying attention, you know Bobby is Laura's boyfriend. As such, it's not hard to guess he's a nice guy who would never ever cheat on his girl--

For the record, that's not Laura Palmer. We know this by the way she breaths and moves. Laura's breathing and movement are a lot...stiffer. Some might say she's a corpse. And as they're driving to Shelly's home and drinking (Oh mine, just how many wrong things can Bobby commit in one scene?), he gives us the best pick up line ever.

Ladies and Gentlemen...I think I just came.

so, Bobby's first worry is if Shelly's "old man" is around. I'm guessing it's her dad. She tells her he isn't around and that he shouldn't care. But right as they arrive, they see a parked truck, meaning that Shelly's dad is around, I think. Bobby makes a quick runaway and leaves Shelly at home.  erm, not in that order

After this, we move on to Leland being taken to the morgue so he identifies the corpse. They tell him it's unnecessary, as everyone knows who Laura is, but he insists. You know, won't believe it till i see it and all that. But with more sobbing. In fact, you may summarize Leland Palmer as pretty much that. Sobbing. 

there, the Leland's role in the first 4 episodes throughly explained. Not like it isn't heartbreaking, but still.

I'll stop here, now.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

• Cygan, you got something to say?

Maybe once those images load, I'll be able to garner the meaning of your post, but right now, without those IMAGES loading, I can tell nothing.
  • You can change. You can.
    shut up and see the images, damn you.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I'm enjoying this so far. I might rewatch the pilot just to follow along.
    do it, fag. suffer with me.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Eh, I'll liveblog more Smallville either tomorrow or Monday,
    Come on, Malk

Fire...walk with me.
  • OH GOD.

THE NINETIES.
  • They're somethin' else.
    THISSSS SUIT BUUUURNS BETHER. LOOK!

BETTER LOOGH, BURNSES SUIIT!
  • No rainbow star
    I wish I could liveblog like this :<
    The secret is in just uploading images. Audiovisual media relies in at a visual element. As I can't reproduce the audio here because of language limitations, then I just use text.

Anyway, sadly, I'll have to leave this one to die. College is being tough and the fact of the matter is that Twin Peaks' weirdness can't be conveyed through image captures. The fact that I can't produce GIFs pretty much ruins it for me. 

Anyway, I have to say that everyone needs to watch this show. To put it simply, I'd say it's the Citizen Kane of Tv. AKA: A show incredibly influential which, unlike most shows of its kind, manages to be genuinely entertaining due to the charm of its characters, dialogue and so on.

That is all.

and this was needed to be known.
  • I was actually planning on watching Twin Peaks anyway.  Probably gonna start sometime next week, depending on how much free time there is.  My friend really likes it, and I just got him to watch Haruhi, so... he's getting me to watch Twin Peaks I guess.

Do it, DYRE. Make me proud.