If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Heaven" and "Sky" in German are the same word ("Himmel")

edited 2011-09-22 14:00:40 in Wonderful posts
[tɕagɛn]
This creates some odd situations. While planning out a German character for a fighting series, I ran into something rather funny. See, all of his attack names are in German. One of his ultimatr moves name basically translates to "Heaven-Piercing Arrow hat Will Split The Earth in Two*", where the point is thay the arrow is so powerful, it can pierce heaven and then fracture the Earth in two. Another move of his translates to "You Are As Weak As The Sky!**", where he's calling his opponent weak because they are weak like the sky, instead of strong like the Earth (He uses Earth magic). Both of these use "Himmel" in German So, in one attack, he's saying that he's strong because his arrow can pierce "Himmel", which is extremely resilient and powerful. But in another attack, he's saying his opponent is as weak as the....."Himmel". Which contradicts the first attack.... I thought this was kind of funny, so I put it in Wonderful Posts. *: Himmeldurchdringendpfeil Dass Wird Die Erder in Zwei Spalten **:Du Bist So Schwach Wie Der Himmel!

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    It's the same in Spanish.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's also true in English, though you have to phrase it as "the heavens."
  • $80+ per session
    Those move names are too long and too stupid.
  • INUH: But we have "sky". Using "Heavens" to mean "sky" has romantic/idealistic connotations.
  • Vivi: There have been longer ones in Fighting series/games.

I also happen to like long move names.
  • You can change. You can.
    They remind of Monty Python's Funniest Joke in The World.
  • $80+ per session
    Examples.
  • Honestly, what's wrong with long names? I like them, and they can by quite funny/cool if done right.

And you don't like those names, you're probably not going to like his utimate finishing move, then.

It's "Herrlichheilighimmeldurchdringendhöllereinigunggermamischveredelungpfeilschuss", which, if my grammar is right--and it probably isn't--means "Glorious and Sacred Heaveb-Piercing Hell-Purifying Germanic Finishing Arrow Shot".
  • $80+ per session
    Your inability to provide examples of longer move names in existing video games says a lot.
  • Why do you care?

I don't care if you don't like it. I do. And that's that.
  • $80+ per session
    Just saying it's pretty pointless.

Also, your constant gratuitous Deutsch when you barely know the language is annoying.
  • I'm taking German 2 Pre-AP and I'm currently regarded as one of the best in my class.

I've been learning the lang for 2 goddamn years. I don't "barely know it".

So kindly stop assuming things.
  • The names themselves are quite cool, but I could never see the point of giving names to moves in hand-to-hand combat unless your character's going to call his moves, and that is unrealistic (if also quite cool):-

"Heaven Piercing Arrow That Will Split The Earth...AHHHH HE KICKED MY BALLS!!!"

• edited 2011-09-22 15:17:43
    [tɕagɛn]
    Vivi, ich würde nicht so wütend sein, wenn du würdest nicht so viel Dinge über mich annehmen.

(Vivi, I would not be so angry if you would not assume so many things about me.)
  • edited 2011-09-22 15:10:50
    Kichigai birthday!!
    Du wüttend?
  • edited 2011-09-22 15:52:42
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ So what purpose did saying that in German have, if not to antagonize?
  • Kaaaaaaaaaame Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Dooooooooo Shoryuuuuuuuuuu Keeeeeeeeeeeeen

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • "So what purpose did saying that in German have, if not to antagonize?"

Showing her/him that I am somewhat versed in German.

• $80+ per session
    You didn't have to translate it into English form me, Chagen. I'm fluent.
  • Sie sind, aber die andere Benutzeren nicht sind. Ich will nicht Probleme verursachen.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    How about we just talk in English.  So people don't have to copy and paste into google translate to know what the hell you're saying.  It's unnecessary.
  • Had to prove that I'm versed in German somehow.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    You know what's derived from Himmel?

Himmler. (runs away after invoking Godwin's Law)

• It's the same with Chinese (and by extension Japanese).