If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What's your LEAST favorite work of fiction ever?

edited 2011-09-20 18:03:44 in Media
~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
Because being cynical and negative is waaaay more fun than being positive.

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Do episodes of things count?

Because if so, The End of Time

If seasons, Buffy's season 6.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Juan, we can't be friends anymore.

And honestly, I don't know that I can say that I have a least favorite anything. I have a tendency to enjoy pretty much everything I watch at least a little bit. I guess maybe the 2003 (or whatever it was) Hulk movie. That was pretty bad.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Twilight.

Full stop.
  • Shocker.

It was by far the least enjoyable movie I've ever seen.  Objectively, there are worse, but of course after a certain point you can make fun of a movie for being bad, and it's even easier if you're with your friends or whatever.  Shocker was just so astoundingly horrible that even watching it with my friends and making fun of it couldn't make me derive any enjoyment from it at all.  Though, actually, I might have seen worse movies.  It's just usually we have the sense to stop watching them if they really suck and aren't fun...

• Deal or No Deal.
  • edited 2011-09-20 18:12:10

"Because being cynical and negative is waaaay more fun than being positive."

Like masturbation vs having sex?

Technically, the worst thing I have ever attempted to sit through was Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for the 3DO (it's just as bad as the Angry Video Game Nerd makes it out to be), but in the end, it's mostly harmless. Atlas Shrugged would be my least favourite thing, naturally.

Strange how much easier it is to pick this one out compared to the favourite.

• School Days, hands down.
    Juan, we can't be friends anymore.

It bears mentioning that I've actually enjoyed this things

I just evade things that I don't care for, really, and don't give them much thought

Like Haruhi.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Depends on the time, but currently Michael Bay's Transformers.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I quite liked season six, and I thought there were at least three Buffy seasons that were worse.

And I thought there were worse episodes than End of Time.
    Season Six had the bullshit magical addiction which in addition to being a lore fuckup turns Giles into the most irresponsible father figure ever by pretty much enabling Willow playing with Hyper-crack.
    I dunno. I would have enjoyed End of Time a lot more if it was about the Doctor facing the Master, rather than Rassilon. 

Also, that epilogue was the worst. The only redeeming value the episode has for me is Tennant being awesome as always (Dat allons-y~), John simm's Master and Wilf. 

As for buffy, I'd say that Seven and Four were worst seasons, but even then, they didn't have that feel of "Fuck what am i watching. what happened to the characters i loved :(" that season six had
  • Can "Reality TV" shows that aren't really "reality" in the normal sense of the word be considered fiction? Because if so, I'm sorry, but:

Survivor. Probably more so because for me personally it symbolized the end of an age of decent sitcoms and cartoons than because it actually sucked so much.

The least favorite of ones I did enjoy slightly and were purely fictional... Hmm that's a tough one.

There's fanfiction that's completely unradable, but I usually just go on to the next one as soon as I realize I don't like something when its literature, so....

I've seen a lot of movies where by 5 minutes into the movie it's rather obvious that (1) the thing that everyone insists is harmless, a figment of people's imagination, etc. is going to get out or in and kill everyone one by one, (2) the character development is going to be so bad I am never going to really care whether any of them get killed, (3) the special effects are going to be really, really disappointing, and (4) the movie isn't even going to be particulaly funny.

Alien III kind of stands out for me as a particularly notable example of that personal trope in part because it was a big budget film and you'd think they would have known better.

• edited 2011-09-20 18:35:59
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I thought 1 was the worst season by far, then four, then seven, than six.

The way the magic addiction was handled was ridiculous and stupid, and I think the season would have been infinitely better if it had been about power corrupting instead of drugs. But I actually really liked the more human, personal focus of the season, especially after they fought an actual god in the last season. It was depressing as all hell, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. And it has some of the best episodes in the whole series (Normal Again, Once More With Feeling).

Plus Dark Willow is sexy and awesome.

^ Alien 3 makes me sad because it had David Fincher and could have been as good as Aliens, but (as I understand it) executive meddling made it suck.

I might go with that as my least favorite work for that reason, actually.
    > Normal Again
    > Good

blugh

Also, I didn't dig the musical. I felt that it was a dumbed down Hush. (As in: Communication is affected and characters actually leanr much more about each other in this state)

As for season 1...well, it wasn't good, by any atretch, but I found it to be watchable, even on rewatch. Although I still recommend anyone who wants to get into the show to just go and watch School Hard.
    I wouldn't call any of the seasons unwatchable by any means. But I thought one wasn't nearly as good, and the show didn't really find itself until School Hard.
    The thing is both Seasons Seven and Four have select episodes where I could show someone and say 'This is why Buffy is awesome.' Six doesn't really have any of those, but it does have several where I can go 'here's everything wrong with American television.'
    I wouldn't say Seven has any of those, except for maybe "Conversations with Dead People"

Four has Hush, which is perfect and the show's finest hour

Six has Tabula Rasa, which was a funny romp, if it didn't end with even MOAR DRAMANGST
  • No rainbow star
    Twilight

I'm surprised I haven't burned the books yet
  • 90% of fanfiction.net.
    Lazy fucker.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Anime/ Manga: Lucky Star. Or most neverending fighting shonen like Naruto or Bleach.
    Film: The Doom Generation. Or anything by Gregg Araki.
    Literature: Great Expectations. Fuck you, Dickens.
    Western Animation: Family Guy or anything by Seth McFarlane
    Video Game: Any WWII shooter (or any gritty as shit shootan game). Booooooring.
  • Kamen Rider Kiva.

I hate it and love it so much. It's so very conflicting.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Most of my least favorite works are anime, but a special mention in another category is, of course, the Twilight series.
  • edited 2011-09-20 20:29:23
    Clean your room little Billy

I would say Alone in the Dark, the movie, but my friends and I had such a good time mocking it that it turned out to be one of my better viewing experiences.

I also played five minutes of Superman 64 at a store demonstration. That wasn't fun.

• Wait, by "least favorite" do we mean "things-we-like-but-at-the-very-bottom-of-our-lists" or "things-we-outright-hate?"
  • $80+ per session
    Homestuck.
  • edited 2011-09-20 20:56:21
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Hm. I feel like being subversive and mentioning that TTGL is also one of my least favorite works of fiction.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    It's a toss-up between two theatre shows for me: Dead Man's Cell Phone by Sarah Ruhl, which alternates between grating moral monologues on how we rely on technology too much and cutesy "aww aren't they quirky" characterization, and the musical adaptation of Island of the Blue Dolphins, which was as bad an idea as it sounds.